German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so no hair loss... but this is weird.. I felt it a while back and it was just against the skin, thought it was a scab, and then I forgot all about it. I pet Cullen a LOT, and brush him, bathe him, etc. but he is still kinda " on the go" all the time and doesn't hang out much long enough to be REALLY pet. So, a few minutes ago I was loving on him, and he actually just leaned against me and let me rub on him, and I felt this huge bump. it's shaped like a HUGE nipple!!!! Black and hard on the end, firm and pink/red everywhere else... no hair missing around it, but he won't let me take a good pic, and I can't find the camera, so this is the best I could do with the Blackberry. Due to a few issues, I just can't afford our vet until taxes come back to cushion our nest egg again.... but any ideas?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this has been ... a few weeks at least... and we haven't been anywhere with ticks, with all the snow, we haven't even been to Schutzhund for over a month!

·
Registered
27,294 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Something like that happened to my lab. I noticed one day there was a small bump on his chest, and then it got much bigger, about the size of a large blueberry!! It was red, shiny, hairless, it looked like a mole, and there was a black spot on it so I thought it was a bite. It then scabbed over, and sometimes bled.

Turns out, there was something lodged in his skin, and the black spot looked like a seed of some sort, it was the weirdest thing! I finally was able to remove the "seed" and the bump went away and there is no sign of it now. I thought it was a tick or something, but it was definately not an insect- it almost looked like a thistle seed but about only half the length. I am just not sure how in the world that happened.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, then I hope it pops! if not, I dunno what it is! It doesn't look like it would have pus in it.. whole end of it is black..

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This one is... hmmm the size of a cigarette butt, only thicker, and the whole tip is black.. weird

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I would try washing it off if possible, and maybe using some type of antibiotic ointment to keep it from getting infected until you can get to the vet. I wonder if the black tip is dried blood? Hopefully it just goes away one day, it looks alot like what my dog had and he is fine now. Just keep a close eye on it.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Ruth suggested hot compress and calendula oil I think to release the oils. I'd google for more info. I think the black is probably dried blood in there, it may just reabsorb on its own if Cullen doesn't pop it open.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Could it be a wart? We had an import come in from Germany last year with Papilloma and ended up giving it to a few dogs in the house. While the warts are most commonly found in the mouth/nose region, or the tummy in really young pups, I've seen them on the head, neck, feet, wherever.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
Could be a sebaceous cyst. Kacie had a couple pop up on her back in the past month. I'm keeping a very close eye on them. One looks like the one you posted, the other one is still hard and a bit larger. I don't think Kacies are tick related, they are in an area where ticks don't usually attach.
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/148299-sebaceous-cyst.html
That is what I was going to guess. Sebaceous cyst. I do not know why but Kelso has had several of these. One was right on his neck and looked similar to what I can see from your pic. It popped on its own and scabbed over so appeared like your picture. It looked even nastier so the vet gave us some antibiotic cream. Cleared up fast. He has had two since then on different areas of the body that have just went away. They can get firm and big. Something to watch.

Not sure if that is what your dog has.. have a vet check it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts