German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added this post to the picture thread yesterday but I'm not sure how many people saw it. I have an update with pictures and a short video and thought it was a better fit for the story section:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/pictures-pictures-pictures/244578-brought-luke-home.html

This was yesterday:

I'm really proud of Luke. We went for a walk down to the end of the driveway this morning and he was a little startled by the yellow bag that the newspaper was in since the wind was blowing and making it move. I encouraged him to come over and check it out and he slowly circled around it and moved closer. When he was a few inches away he looked like he wanted to play with it so I told him "get it!". He started bitting and pulling at it so I encouraged him to carry it with him - that's something I'd like him to do for us anyway and I figured, why not take advantage of the opportunity and incorporate it early on. I told him to bring it home and he dragged it about half way up the driveway - maybe about 100 yards! I kept telling him "bring it home" and saying "good boy, good boy". I really wish I had a camera with me to capture the moment! :puppy:

Today:

We walked out to the end of the driveway and I told Luke to carry it home and he picked it up again and started trotting towards home with it. So proud of our little guy! Luckily I remembered to grab my camera before we headed out the door this morning. Enjoy! :D

Short video:

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
That is just adorable. He looks so proud and happy to have a job:)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
nice training. you can train him to go and get the paper. if
you do train him to get the paper teach him a boundary. if the
paper is laying to close to the street you don't want him to get it.
you could also teach him to get the mail. when the mail man comes
i open the front door. my dog goes down the driveway. i tell him
to "stop" or "wait" when he's half way down the driveway. the mail man
pulls up and gathers our mail. then he calls our dog and gives him the mail.
if my neighbor comes out my dog goes back to the mail man and gets their mail
and brings it to her.

when you go shopping put something in a bag for your dog to carry
from the car to your house. once he starts carrying things you can teach him
to get things in house and bring them to you.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nice training. you can train him to go and get the paper. if
you do train him to get the paper teach him a boundary. if the
paper is laying to close to the street you don't want him to get it.
you could also teach him to get the mail. when the mail man comes
i open the front door. my dog goes down the driveway. i tell him
to "stop" or "wait" when he's half way down the driveway. the mail man
pulls up and gathers our mail. then he calls our dog and gives him the mail.
if my neighbor comes out my dog goes back to the mail man and gets their mail
and brings it to her.

when you go shopping put something in a bag for your dog to carry
from the car to your house. once he starts carrying things you can teach him
to get things in house and bring them to you.
That's a great idea, thank you for the advice. Unfortunately our mailbox is across the street but I was planning on walking out with him and having him carry the mail home with me - either walk across the street with me or wait on our property while I cross and come back.

I like the idea of having him carry a bag from shopping. My fiancé and I have a small home business where we ship a lot of items out so I was thinking to have him carry some of the smaller packages (padded envelopes) and later lightweight/small boxes with a little backpack. We could make going to the Post Office part of our daily routine together. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts