German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Originally Posted By: selzerWhat is a Bass Pro shop? It sounds like a fishing store. I never heard of one. What do they sell.
It's an outdoors superstore. They sell fishing, hunting, camping, hiking, boating gear, ranging from clothing and shoes to boats and RVs. The one closest to me is in Fontana and it's HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE, very pretty inside, kind of like a Rainforest Cafe but outdoor themed. And they have decent prices too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Last time, when I visit Lowes Home improvement store in Rogers, Arkansas dogs are allowed.

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
The Lowes in Waldorf MD has a sign that says that well behaved pet dogs are allowed. They put the responsibility on the dog owner, as it should be. The local Home Depot has a sign on the door that says, Service Dogs Only.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Lowe’s, Home Depot Tractor supply cabelas, are places I take my dogs for environmental and some basic training. Comes in handy during the winter.
owners are responsible and should know if their dog can handle places like this.

·
Registered
89 Posts
We haven't tried any store(s) outside of petsmart and tractor supply. I try not to travel with my pups unless i know for a fact they are allowed at my destination(s) ahead of time. I can say this though, my english bullies are loved on a heck of a lot more than my GSD lol

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Home Depot’s and Lowe’s are great for winter or when outings are spotty and life is hectic at least I know they can go in the store in an errand errand run. I think because they are so well trained people assumed they are service dogs this is just an assumption. I went with Max to pick up A new microwave a few months ago it was on a shelf with the wrong price. The employer gave it to me with that lower price without me asking as I had asked her about the dimensions and she can see on her computer the price was wrong and she went out of her way to make sure I got the lower price. I just had not had service like that in Home Depot ever lol!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I'm pretty sure Lowe's dog policy is store by store based on manager at the time. Our local store as gone from pets allowed to not allowed back to allowed. I haven't seen it in recent months but as recently as last summer our local Lowe's was actually allowing a trainer to hold a training class of some type at the store on quiet weeknight evenings. On more than one occasion I went in to find anywhere from 6-10 people with puppies/dogs walking up and down the aisles practicing training and polite public social skills.
I commented to one gentlemen how handsome his dog was and he asked if I would like to say hello. Naturally I did :D! He told me he was working on getting his Golden to keep his butt on the floor during approved stranger greetings. He had a very wiggly butt but did keep it on the floor. I was more than happy to help.
I noticed a few customers that seemed uneasy about the dogs but I thought it was great.

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
Check first, Our local Lowes went from No Dogs to Well Behaved Pet Dogs Welcome. Our Home Depot now has Service Dogs Only on the door. Sometimes a store manager would allow it but the city codes ban dogs in stores, so even some Bass Pro / Cabellas can't allow dogs.
I always tell the cashiers that I appreciate the Dogs Allowed policy when I bring mine in for an adventure. And I insist on impeccable behavior. I don't ever want to be the one that forces a store to change their policy.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Some Home Depots do, too, but you have to ask first as it's a case-by-case basis
Yeah, they used to do that here in Ontario, then one day some bad-tempered little lap dog tried to take a lady's nose off when she went to pet it. They immediately changed their policy to 'no dogs other than service dogs."

That was unfortunate, as I had a very timid GSD I was trying to socialize.

Edit: Service dogs hypoallergenic?? Excuse me while I roll on the floor laughing!! Remind me to tell you about the "all non-shedding dogs are hypoallegenic" B.S. when I've got more time! And, of course, not all service dogs are non-shedding. Lab/golden mixes are very popular as service dogs here in Ontario, and NEITHER of those breeds is non-shedding!

41 - 51 of 51 Posts