German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out and about yesterday shopping at Price Chopper (local supermarket chain) Wally World, PetSmart, and Lowes. Ara was along for the ride and a PetSmart visit as she often is.

My last stop was Lowes in Glenmont. I thought, for giggles, I would ask whether they allowed dogs in the store. The young lady at the service desk said YES.
Dogs are allowed as long as they are on leash and as long as they don't make too much noise.

Well, we cruised the store for about 45 minutes. Ara found it to be quite a departure from the nursing home and hospitals. The other customers and staff were taken aback just a bit but nonetheless very eager to say hello.

I have no idea what the corporate policy is but this particular Lowes is definetly dog friendly.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Just your particular Lowes...the one up in Halfmoon has a "no dog" policy unless you can fit it into the push cart....

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
Our Lowes allowed dogs the first year that they were open. I even went in and asked the manager. Then one day out of the blue Tika was asked to leave.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
to be honest with you I wouldn't take Brady in there
you never know what is on the floors and some people
kind of scare me taht are in there Brady would def feed off that

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
My Lowes has a sign right on the door that dogs are not allowed.

But I went into Bass Pro Shops with Balto Saturday to practice for his CGC and I heard a lot of people saying, "I didn't know dogs were allowed here." They allow dogs on a case by case basis at the entrance. Balto heeled and sat at the turnstile and was given the OK.

- All the employees we met wanted to love on Balto, so it was a good experience for him.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Ditto BlackPuppy, our Bass Pro is is great place to take Anna. The greeter dude knows her now. Last time we were in there we just missed a bull mastiff, I would have loved for Anna to have met him!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Originally Posted By: DnP\unless you can fit it into the push cart....
It's always bothered me that little dogs can go pretty much anywhere, but a nice large dog is kicked out of so many places. I have seen people with pocket pooches at the Blockbuster by my last house, so when Bella was a puppy I carried her in there like nothing was wrong with it. I got through the front door and employees saw but did not comment, but when I was in the back a guy coming out of the break room told me dogs were not allowed inside "because of the candy at the front". Yea, right.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Our Lowes allows dogs but they have to be in the cart. Last time I went there, I put Otto on a flatbed cart. It's still a cart and nobody could argue with that. Take that purse dog people!

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Originally Posted By: SunCzarinaOur Lowes allows dogs but they have to be in the cart. Last time I went there, I put Otto on a flatbed cart. It's still a cart and nobody could argue with that. Take that purse dog people!
Good thinking!

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Originally Posted By: mmarie
It's always bothered me that little dogs can go pretty much anywhere, but a nice large dog is kicked out of so many places.
Cash still rides in a shopping cart, and he's a 50 lbs Pit Bull

·
Registered
466 Posts
^Lol! I would love to see the looks some people give when they see a pit bull in a shopping cart.
I wish more people would try to take dogs in places around here. I have a chihuahua so I could probably get away with taking him in anywhere I want, but I don't take him unless ALL dogs are allowed. That's right. We want EQUALITY!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Originally Posted By: SouthernThistle

Cash still rides in a shopping cart, and he's a 50 lbs Pit Bull
I love that! You must get some great looks
. I'm afraid to try it with Bella, she'd probably look at me like I was a looney for putting her in there and jump out the first chance she got

Originally Posted By: Not_Just_A_DogI don't take him unless ALL dogs are allowed. That's right. We want EQUALITY!
Do I sense the beginning of a doggie civil rights movement?

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
The corporate policy for both Lowes and Home Depot is NO DOGS. It seems primarily up to the local manager whether they will actually be allowed or not, though. Our Lowes in northern Virginia allowed dogs until they got a new manager, and the new manager enforced the corporate policy. Our Lowes down here still allows dogs in.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I'm not sure if the Lowes or HD here in the Bham allow dogs but I do know that Tractor Supply and Bass Pro Shop allow them.

·
Registered
31,873 Posts
I hate to say it but this is kind of the problem. First we ask, and only people who are responsible and care about their dogs do this.

Then other people see us bringing our dogs in and start thinking that they would do that too.

Then they see someone with two dogs.

Now MOST of us can handle two dogs with no problem. Should we try to take two dogs into an establishment that is not really about dogs though?

Why was my dog kicked out of Lowe's? Because the manager's daughter was asthmatic and dogs irritate people with allergies. Guide dogs and Service dogs and police dogs are hypo-allergetic. Two dogs would bother an asthmatic twice as much I suppose.

But back to the two dog thing. So you have your two dogs nicely on lead heeling and behaving spectacularly, and the nitwit coming up the isle thinks that is just so cool. So when he comes next he has his two dogs, untrained to walk on a lead or behave in public, much less in tandem. And wham, all dogs are banned from lowes. Is this the owner of the two well-behaved fault? No. But I find it unwise to bring a tandem into a place like lowes.

When I used to go, before I was kicked out for no good reason (I have asthma, Lowes is big enough to manage the fumes of one clean dog at a time), I used to bring two dogs, but take them in seperately. This allows me to focus all my energy on the one dog, and also to shop.

Because really, we should not be there to walk our dogs. We should be there to buy the store's wares. The dog comes along, fine. Juggling two dogs and a ceiling fan is really not practical.

Whether two dogs are more allergetic or less manageable than one dog, the perception is that they can be.

So maybe the nitwit doesn't just go and bring in a tandem of untrained dogs. But what usually happens is they see us with our dog. Then nitwits bring their dogs. Pretty soon it is not a priveledge but a right. Then people stop cleaning up after their dogs or watching their dogs. Then the management says, "We are not a dog store, lets not let dogs in anymore."

It is reasonable for them to do this. If just one person is bitten while shopping at Lowe's, the store WILL be sued. Why should they take on that liability.

The answer is to enjoy it while you can, try not to be a reason for it to end, and do not be surprised or upset when it does.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Originally Posted By: selzer
Why was my dog kicked out of Lowe's? Because the manager's daughter was asthmatic and dogs irritate people with allergies. Guide dogs and Service dogs and police dogs are hypo-allergetic. Two dogs would bother an asthmatic twice as much I suppose.
Wait, what? How are service dogs and police dogs hypo-allergenic? They are no different than other dogs except for their level of training.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts