German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Threshold for what?

"Threshold" is just how much stimulus it takes to create a response.

So a dog with a high pain threshold, like a Rottweiler or Pitt bull, can take someone accidentally stepping on their foot or a kid tugging on their ear without a whimper, while a dog with a low pain threshold cries when you give it its vaccinations

A dog with a high fear threshold is hard to scare, while a dog with a low threshold is fearful of all kinds of things.

A dog with a high aggression threshold takes a lot of threat before he becomes aggressive, while one with a lower threshold become aggressive if you look at him the wrong way.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks but why do some people perfer dogs with low threshold in ring sports they never said for what i just read that some guy claimed a dog with low threshold for ring was what he needed kinda confused me

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
ok thanks but why do some people perfer dogs with low threshold in ring sports they never said for what i just read that some guy claimed a dog with low threshold for ring was what he needed kinda confused me
Probably referring to a low threshold for aggression?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
It can also just be low thresholds for a prey response. In general, a dog with low thresholds is easy to get to react. A high threshold dog is going to take more stimulus before he response.

So, a dog with low thresholds would be a dog who is very easy to switch into motion, into response--prey/aggression, etc.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
It can also just be low thresholds for a prey response. In general, a dog with low thresholds is easy to get to react. A high threshold dog is going to take more stimulus before he response.

So, a dog with low thresholds would be a dog who is very easy to switch into motion, into response--prey/aggression, etc.
This is my take on it as well and when I say I want a dog with high thresholds, means I want my dog to NOT react with little stimulous.

·
Registered
207 Posts
You may be talking about Francis Metcalf as he mentioned this on Facebook recently. Who ever it is that mentioned it I would encourage you to ask him.

As far as ring is concerned it has nothing to do with aggression. A dog that has a very low threshold for prey drive may be a pain to live with if not properly controlled but is easy to train.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts