German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I just brought my pup home on Sat about 7-8 weeks old (12/27/07). I've been working on crate training and finding it a bit difficult since he has really low food drive. Is this normal? I'm thinking he's nervous and trying to adapt to his new pack, so maybe he's not interested in treats.

I've tried liver treats, cookies, yogurt treats, peanut butter, cream cheese, raw beef, and roost beef. He took to roost beef the best and I was able to do some treat training with him. Maybe that's the trick and I'll stick with roost beef.

Any ideas on this or is he a bit young to show a high(er) food drive? By the way, his prey drive is pretty strong and I'm able to drive him into the crate with a tug toy.

·
Registered
815 Posts
He's still settling in, so just give him some time and he may come to be a food hog. Right now there's just so much more interesting stuff than food - new house, new people, new everything!

On the other hand, like you noticed, he may be better driven by toys. Nico isn't motivated by food, never has been, but pull out a squeaky toy or tennis ball and you'll have his undivided attention!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
hmm..tyson isnt much of a food hog. he doesnt eat the way he should but he's not skinny. he is 12 weeks and last saturday when we took him to the vet he weighed 26.6 pounds. now he does love his treats and when i have them, i have his attention. ill be honest i think he would rather play then eat. i put out 2 cups of food in the morning and he will only eat maybe half of it at a time so dont feel bad, he only eats 4 cups of food a day and from the chart on the bag he should be eating 6 to 7 cups a day. on the other hand i dont want him gaining too much weight. avoids causeing hip and joint problems

a lady at the vet we go to has a 90 pound gsd thats only 9 months old and developeing hip and joint problems, she also didnt feed him large breed puppy food

o and for treats..i found that tyson absolutly LOVES pup-peroni, smells like beaf jurky and i swear i would almost eat it myself haha i found it at petsmart

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Annabelle has never been motivated by food either. You could drop a steak in front of her and she *might* lick it. Loves toys though, especially the dreaded squeeky ones!

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Diebla was just moderately interestedin food the first couple of weeks, now at 15 weeks she is a real shark.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Heidi is a slow eater, and only moderately motivated by most treats.
A ball, however, any ball, or anything even vaguely resembling a ball..... gets her attention really fast!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts