German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have continuously been researching dry commercial kibble on this forum and have heard more stories of people's dogs living 14+ years on a variety of LOW end kibble brands.

Does anyone have stories of their dogs living 14+ years on HIGH end kibble brands fed the entire dogs lifetime?

I would love to hear ALL stories of how long your dog lived and on what kibble brand, low and high end, that it was fed.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
82 Posts
The first dog my family had who was a purebred shepherd was riddled with health problems including severe pancreatic insufficiency, my parents always fed her low end stop and shop food. The vet said she would probably wouldn't live a full life due to her problem and she lived to 12.5 years

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
39 Posts
i had a pedigree australian terrier who lived to 16 years & she was always fed on supermarket brand dry food. we never bought the "no name" brand stuff but always something stocked at the supermarket (meaty bites, pal, good-o). she also was fed leftovers including pasta with tomato & onion & i gave her chocolate whenever i was eating some & she was around. she passed away over 10 years ago now and at this time i did not know there were some things dogs weren't supposed to eat.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Well I have a few stories, to start off my grandmother fed her dog Eukanuba, and he lived to 14 till he died from cancer. My aunt had/has 5 dogs (3 still living) they have been on pedigree/ Ol'roy all their lives, the first dog to pass died of cancer at 10 years old, their second dog to pass died at 11 years old and he apparently "died" of old age, which isnt really true, his back end gave out on him and they kept him living even though he could not walk, he was so emaciated and sickly but they didnt put him down until he couldnt even lift his head. And now... my mothers dogs, are 17 and 15 years old and they have been on Ol'Roy all their lives and they are still kicking. So looking back ya some dogs cant live pretty full lives on the [email protected] food, but that doesnt mean that I want my dogs eating it...

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Linus came to me started on Precise, we mainly fed him Nutro Max which at the time (1985) was a private company. Later he ate Purina ONE and Raw. Lived to be 15 (GSD). Rainbow the ESS about 3 years younger than Linus and ate the same food. Lived to be 14.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I had a Pekingese that lived to be sixteen and ate Pedigree from the day we got her. My dad also believed in giving the dogs a little bit of scrambled egg every morning, which she definitely wasn't opposed to.
She was euthanized because of a closed pyo, but was healthy up until the time she became noticeably sick.

·
Registered
31,776 Posts
Collie - 14.5 years old. Always fed store brand. He was fairly healthy except his hips went on him and we let him go rather than let him him live in pain.

Boxer - 13 yr, 4 mths and still here. Fed Purina all her life until 3 years ago. She is the second oldest Boxer the practice has had so they are pretty impressed with her.

I think longevity has more to do with genetics than food.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
My first dog, a GSD cross, lived to be 16 years old. As a puppy, she mostly ate Purina Puppy Chow--back then there weren't many high-end kibbles available. We had Science Diet and Iams, but I couldn't afford those at the time.

As an adult, she ate Purina Dog Chow and Hi-Pro, and then Wayne kibble, which was considered a premium brand. She stayed on Wayne for several years, until I could afford Eukanuba Lamb & Rice. She was on that until old age.

It wasn't until she was about 13 that I discovered raw. So she got raw until she became very elderly, at which point I cooked chicken, eggs, and rice for her. She ate home-cooked food until she passed away at age 16.

She was always very healthy, never a sick day in her life. She did have dry skin and a flea allergy, but as long as I kept her on flea control she was fine. She also had a canteloupe-sized tumor removed from her abdomen when she was 13. She sailed through that without any issues.

Still miss her.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts