German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! Hope your all having a great week!

I have had an on going issue with my Shepherd pestering the cat. While I will admit at times it is comical, I need to find a way to deter this behavior. There has never been a single threatening motion from my dog. She always walks up to her and lays down. Usually the cat allows this, but then she will try to inch closer while still laid down. At this point the cat decides to defend herself. The dog then calmly leaves in a "saddend" way then lays down and waits for the cat to come back so she can try again.

Is she trying to befriend the cat??

I have worked with her for months and she behaves in every other circumstance, however when she sees the cat again she just cant seem to help herself.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance! :laugh:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
A cat is a very entertaining toy. They yowl, they howl, and when you grab their head with your teeth they get very wiggly.

At my house one of my dogs started playing with my cat. It was cute. But the cat allowed him to play rougher and rougher and now the cat gets dragged along the floor by the head. He doesn't complain (he's an awesome cat) but one day there is a very good possibility that it will go too far. I made the mistake of not correcting the mouthing behavior from the beginning. Now all my dogs know to watch but not touch. It took a few weeks to break the dog of his mouthing but I feel much better about things now. He was on leash (drag line) in the house, and if he got hold of the cat he got a reprimand and a bump on the leash, then the 'out' command. Then just an 'out' command.

It's important for them to learn self-restraint in either case. Now... if only the cat wouldn't go looking for trouble! :p

·
Registered
154 Posts
Those darn cats are the trouble makers! Not the dogs... LOL.

I agree with marbury... gotta teach 'em to stay away, even if kitty wants to play. I know my pup wouldnt hurt our kitty, but that mouth around head is a little scary looking and who knows if she got too excited. So we dont let that happen. Hopefully, some day... some day... she'll learn. As it is I spent most of the night following the puppy around telling her to "leave it" (she does, for 10 seconds)..... and scopping the cat up and putting him someplace higher!

Fun stuff. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've taught my boy (6.5 months) to grab his jute or other toys when he wants to play with our cats or papillon. They're never allowed to play unsupervised and sometimes he get too excited and can't seem to keep his mouth occupied. He's good though and will pick it up again when I remind him his mouth is empty.

He's to the point where if he sees a small play animal he starts looking for a toy before he engages. The side affect to that is now he paws at them. Sometimes bats them across the room. Papillon loves it. Cats not so much.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hmm I may try this method! Em loves to have something in her mouth. That may work!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello Everyone! Hope your all having a great week!

I have had an on going issue with my Shepherd pestering the cat. While I will admit at times it is comical, I need to find a way to deter this behavior. There has never been a single threatening motion from my dog. She always walks up to her and lays down. Usually the cat allows this, but then she will try to inch closer while still laid down. At this point the cat decides to defend herself. The dog then calmly leaves in a "saddend" way then lays down and waits for the cat to come back so she can try again.

Is she trying to befriend the cat??

I have worked with her for months and she behaves in every other circumstance, however when she sees the cat again she just cant seem to help herself.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance! :laugh:

Jason, I know EXACTLY what you mean!
I have 1 GSD pup and 1 husky/malamute X pup - they are both almost 6 months old. My GSD will walk up to our cat, give him a big smooch right in his face (which he always looks a bit annoyed about) and walk off, pretty disintered.

Our husky however, I'm pretty sure is in love with the cat. If the cat is around he will stop listening to you, and sit down next to the cat. If the cat is on a chair asleep, husky will lie down in front of the chair. He just wants to be around him all the time and sit next to him.. then when the cat is dissintered and walks off.. its like you can see his little husky heart breaking. He doesn't even lick the cat like my GSD does.. he just wants to follow him and watch him.. its soo cute.:wub:

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My female has been around cats since she was 12 weeks. She is now almost two and she hardly chases them at all. There is one that she is still interested in. But she doesn't really mouth them and never has. They actually like her and they all cuddle up with her. My male is almost one and has never been around cats. The first day he barked at them like he wanted to kill them, then he would get really defensive if they hissed or swatted. I taught him a firm leave it and worked on the come command. I've had him about two months and he still chases them, but not in a mean way and he leaves it when I say leave it. Most of the time he has a toy in his mouth too, he can multi task. Now he can walk away when they swat him. Just two days ago I got to see him and the cat drink out of the water bowl together with no problems. It can eventually work, but it takes time. Realistically the cat is the one that defines the relationship. Once they come around, its much easier.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I'm trying to understand.... if your dog simply trying to lay with the cat? or actually play with the cat? From your post, just trying to lay is what I'm reading. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Shasta will occasionally try to play with my cats but the majority of the time, she just tries to lay close enough she's touching Titan, our male cat (our female won't tolerate it unless its on her terms). If Titan gets up and moves, Shasta always gets this hurt feelings look on her face and will try again another time. She never mouths the cats. She just wants to lay with Titan. Even if she's BARELY touching him, she seems more content than if she were sleeping on her own. If your dog is just trying to cuddle up next to the cat, there's no harm in allowing them to handle it. The cat very likely will not allow the dog to lay on him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts