German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about it and I wonder whether dogs really love us or whether they just suffer from Stockholm Syndrome. I mean they come to live with us, they have to follow our rules, sometimes we put them in cages...I sometimes wonder whether I have just broken my dog down and he has attached to me as his captor. But then I think that it is not much different than my kids (minus the cage of course.) Although my kids will hopefully be independent some day and my dog will hopefully stay with me for his entire life. I know this sounds like a strange question but so many "experts" say that animals have no emotions. I think that is hogwash. Still I wonder what motivates their emotions. Any thoughts? I apologize because this is not worded very well and I am not sure it is clear.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
I spit coffee through my nose reading this. Thank you, I desperately needed a laugh.
Not because I don't see your point, but because it is so possible that at least in some cases you are dead on.
I think many dogs do view us as a surrogate pack, and as such they bond with us.
Anyone who believes dogs have no emotions hasn't spent enough time with them. Grief, excitement, fear, love, these are all emotions. Dogs may experience them on a more simplistic level, but they do experience them.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I spit coffee through my nose reading this. Thank you, I desperately needed a laugh.
Not because I don't see your point, but because it is so possible that at least in some cases you are dead on.
I think many dogs do view us as a surrogate pack, and as such they bond with us.
Anyone who believes dogs have no emotions hasn't spent enough time with them. Grief, excitement, fear, love, these are all emotions. Dogs may experience them on a more simplistic level, but they do experience them.
So glad I made you laugh. Obviously it is a silly observation but the humor is that there really is some truth in it...at least I think there is some humor here.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Of course they have emotions! They might not be exactly the same as ours, but they are there. There has actually been quite a bit of scientific study on this topic. Here's a simple little one: Scientific Proof Your Dog Loves You With All Their Heart And Nose - BarkPost. Killer Whales, in fact, have a much larger 'emotion' brain centre than humans and bond much more strongly to their families than we humans do.

Also remember that domestic dogs have evolved along with us for tens of thousands of years, so the human-dog bond is mutually fulfilling.

I also laughed at your post, though, because I used to tell my husband he 'Stockholmed' our cat....the things he could do to that cat were ridiculous.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
I have definitely heard theories of dog training that lend themselves to this theory. Dog lives in a crate/kennel for however many weeks/months, only gets out to be fed, pottied and trained by a disciplinarian handler...

Things like tracking training, if the dog won't track kennel it with no food that day and feed other dogs in front of it, tomorrow it will track. I don't have the stomach to do that. If it had to do that to a dog to get it to work I would think either my methods are poor or the dog isn't cut out for it.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
So glad I made you laugh. Obviously it is a silly observation but the humor is that there really is some truth in it...at least I think there is some humor here.
Things that make you go hmmmm. Nobody pets the dog. Dog is not permitted to interact with other dogs, must remain neutral. All good things come from the owner. Training, training, training. Dog is always on leash. Food for thought.

L

·
0 Posts
I like this article as an explanation - particularly the portion by Colin Groves. There is so much benefit between humans and dogs and it's an age old relationship.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-human-beast/200904/why-are-humans-and-dogs-so-good-living-together

There was another article that I read last week about cats re; their domestication and relationship with people. I was amazed to read that domestic cats have two different vocalizations that they've developed over time and use exclusively to communicate with humans.

I think it is also important to let these animals enjoy as much freedom as they need that we can provide (safely) and we understand that although they can live in difficult confined situations - they are still built and wired a certain way. You have to let a dog be a dog sometimes when no harm will result - otherwise, yes- I think you can Stockholm a person or animal that has a certain level of intelligence and that is a loss.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
The Stockholm thing? Other way round, I think.
ROFLOL!!! Now thats a good one. As Jerry Seinfeld said "if an alien came to earth and saw one species picking up the other species poop who would they think was in charge?"

Muskeg got it right!!!! Lol the aliens would have figured it right to!!!!!

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I have been thinking about it and I wonder whether dogs really love us or whether they just suffer from Stockholm Syndrome. I mean they come to live with us, they have to follow our rules, sometimes we put them in cages...I sometimes wonder whether I have just broken my dog down and he has attached to me as his captor. But then I think that it is not much different than my kids (minus the cage of course.) Although my kids will hopefully be independent some day and my dog will hopefully stay with me for his entire life. I know this sounds like a strange question but so many "experts" say that animals have no emotions. I think that is hogwash. Still I wonder what motivates their emotions. Any thoughts? I apologize because this is not worded very well and I am not sure it is clear.
HAH!--When I saw the thread title and first started reading your post, I was sure it would be just the opposite--WE are suffering from Stockholm syndrome, and our dogs are the captors, lol.

Susan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts