German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a Chihuahua!!!! Never in my wildest dreams would this have happened. I saw him walking with his owners in town; intact (where do you find them these days?) young male, with great proportions (so no ugly apple head or bulging eyes), beautiful confident gates and alert. If they had asked me if I wanted him, I would have taken him home in a heartbeat. Now it feels like "I want one like that!" Is this crazy or what?
So there, that is my confession. :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
6,281 Posts
I must be crazy too:)I had a Chihuahua years ago,a chocolate colored little girl.She was a sweet,loyal,wonderful companion.I would love to have another some day.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
My neighbor has one of the apple headed kind. Now I don't have anything against Chihuahuas, but this one....

It yaps from the second it steps foot outside nonstop until brought back in the house. God forbid if one of the neighbors is out or has their dog out, as its yapping immediately becomes an ear piercing nonstop scream until the neighbor goes in or brings their dog in.

They also have a Yorkie over there, you wouldn't know it exists, it is such a good dog.

The Chi has cured me from any desires of ever owning one.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I liked the looks of a long haired chihuahua but every chihuahua I have met was either super yappy or mean and possessive of everything especially people. D:

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have had a few ones in my class and people did their homework. Guess what? They turned out to be normal dogs, just small ones. They didn't bite and listened like any trained dog. One of the Chi owners became a trainer herself even and her dogs competed in agility.

·
Registered
7,495 Posts
Oh chihuahua!!! We have a 7 year old male neutered chihuahua- Topper. I was never the chihuahua type and always liked big dogs. My daughter spread her love of the chihuahua. With Topper it was love at first site and even when we brought him home our dog at the time Bella got along with him the instant they met. He is not a snotty chihuahua but really sweet and I think because he was socialized alot and absolutely loves little girls!!! Our kids were very young when we added our chihuahua to our family. He has a very special bond with my daughter but also close with each member of the family. He is not hyper and has very humble personality. We adore this little dog. Chihuahuas are like bottle warmers and will sleep with and be at your side when ever to lay or sit down to snuggle with you. My daughter does agility with Topper in our backyard and recently started agility lessons and he keeps up with us on our long walks. They have apple shape or deer shaped heads. Come in all sorts of great colors and have different personalities. There is a chihuahua forum I'm sure can recommend some breeders. They are very smart dogs and healthy dogs!!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,628 Posts
I groom two chihuahuas for an older gentleman. They are as sweet as can be, and I can see why he likes them. My 25 year old son, who isn't one to fawn over someone else's dog, fell in love with his girlfriend's teeny little rescue chihuahua. I'm pretty sure he was sadder over losing the chihuahua, than the girlfriend, when they broke up, lol.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I bought my Mom a Chihuahua for her birthday years ago, my sister-in-law whom she was living with at the time with my brother hated dogs and made her keep it in the garage, so my Mom, reluctantly gave him to me since she spent a lot of time at my house, I personally HATED Chihuahua's, but this dog, Max, simply won my heart, so much so that when he was tragically killed by a Coyote it gutted me, I was devastated as he was such a character, so fun, I was in such despair my Mom bought me a Chihuahua puppy, 14 years later I still have Buddy and he is a great little dog, thinks he's a terrier and is actually a good little mouser, he is NOT yappy and LOVES people, he in fact loves to sleep with guests that come to stay the night and turns them into Chihuahua lovers as well, I have to admit it's so nice having a little dog to carry around on errands like a little doll, LOL. I think Chihuahua's are just like any dog, you get out of them what you put in.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ha that is great I used to live next door to a lady who had one who was terrible. Come to find out the lady has dementia so the dog was never trained. Well by the time that one passed away her son was living with her who he trained race horses for his profession and had a wonderfully behaved JRT (antoher breed I never enjoyed until I met this one). The sister bought the mom another Chi puppy to keep her company. The son was upset as he had no idea his sister did this, but Taco who is now 3 or 4 is a wonderful dog. He has been trained and is very obedient. In fact my Shepherd who is 9 and him are best buds. We take them to a local park at night together and they play fetch together the time. I have a chuckit that is tennis ball size and they actually will start taking turns grabbing the ball or Meega will drop it half way and let Taco bring it back the rest of the way. It is hilarious to watch a 3-4lbs teacup Chi carrying this ball that is the size of his head!

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I think they can be great dogs if bred and trained properly :) My next little one will be a Chi for sure!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts