German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, my gosh! What a cute puppy! I'm new to GSDs (I don't own any, but I have read a lot about them. Maybe I will get one one day😀) I didn't know that their coat changes too.
yes! He was very very black as a puppy. Almost 80% black. He didn’t brown out some until he shed his winter coat the following year. Now he’s mostly shades of brown as you can see. the breeder told me don’t pick a puppy based on their puppy coat bc it changes and I thought “BS, you just wanna keep the cutest puppy’s” but no he was 100% right. The best way to tell what a puppy will grow into is to look at the parents and past lines. Don’t worry about what the puppy looks like at 3, 4, 5 months old

But it’s good you’re researching and learning before you get one. That’s what I did for like 6 months before I pulled the trigger. A lot of ppl just buy one and have no idea what they’re buying. But also, I learned a lot about these dogs just by owning one bc some things you can’t learn until you actually have a gsd. Learn through experience type of thing

·
Registered
136 Posts
yes! He was very very black as a puppy. Almost 80% black. He didn’t brown out some until he shed his winter coat the following year. Now he’s mostly shades of brown as you can see. the breeder told me don’t pick a puppy based on their puppy coat bc it changes and I thought “BS, you just wanna keep the cutest puppy’s” but no he was 100% right. The best way to tell what a puppy will grow into is to look at the parents and past lines. Don’t worry about what the puppy looks like at 3, 4, 5 months old

But it’s good you’re researching and learning before you get one. That’s what I did for like 6 months before I pulled the trigger. A lot of ppl just buy one and have no idea what they’re buying. But also, I learned a lot about these dogs just by owning one bc some things you can’t learn until you actually have a gsd. Learn through experience type of thing
Whoa! Hahaha, I had to laugh when I read that you thought it was BS and that he just wanted keep the cutest puppies🤣. Okay, I won't!

That's so true! ppl do that with a lot with dog breeds!! That's cool that you've learned a lot about GSDs by owning one. I did the same with my Australian Shepherd.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whoa! Hahaha, I had to laugh when I read that you thought it was BS and that he just wanted keep the cutest puppies🤣. Okay, I won't!

That's so true! ppl do that with a lot with dog breeds!! That's cool that you've learned a lot about GSDs by owning one. I did the same with my Australian Shepherd.
Yea! Because some breeders will say “I’m keeping a puppy from this litter so only 2 are available” etc. so it’s like oh great they’re keeping the cutest ones lol! Thought he was BS’ing me due to my inexperience but no he was telling the truth. You never know what the puppy will turn into! Can only make assumptions from the parents etc. Glad you had a laugh!

my guy was undersized until around 10 months also and now he’s 90lb! So puppy sizedoesn’t usually matter either!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yea! Because some breeders will say “I’m keeping a puppy from this litter so only 2 are available” etc. so it’s like oh great they’re keeping the cutest ones lol! Thought he was BS’ing me due to my inexperience but no he was telling the truth. You never know what the puppy will turn into! Can only make assumptions from the parents etc. Glad you had a laugh!

my guy was undersized until around 10 months also and now he’s 90lb! So puppy sizedoesn’t usually matter either!
Lol🤣🤣. I'm happy that he wasn't BS'ing you and that he was telling the truth!! That is so true. Thank you!!!

Whoa!! He is so cute and handsome.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts