German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 60 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
I'm so happy for Lil! (Lille?) I hope her tum-tum gets sorted out by the vet.

She's probably had tummy issues for a good long time. The shelters tend to feed Science Diet, Pedigree, or a Purina food...depending on which one is doing a corporate sponsorship...and some of them can only feed once a day, barely even enough to maintain weight. Who knows what she ate before the shelter --Ol' Roy wouldn't surprise me -- it's a poor area she came from. I've come across a lot of dogs fed this one too because it's even cheaper --it gives you a snapshot of what life may have been like: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/retriever-hi-protein-dog-food-50-lb-bagAdd in parasites, protozoa, and other beasties that these dogs tend to be loaded with....and they just need a lot of GI care for a while. Her tummy has likely been trashed for a LONG time. My rescue friends and I do a happy dance whenever a new dog produces its first formed poo -- it's the first health milestone!

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
I know I will get trashed for this but hey never cared much what others think.
EVERY rescue I have ever had did best on Pedigree. We found that by breaking feedings into small meals multiple times a day and slowly adding fresh food into their diets we greatly reduced the days of cleaning nastiness.
Many big name kibbles are just too rich and a dog with a trashed tummy may not do well on raw food. The detox effect caused by raw can put more pressure on an already compromised system.
I found feeding multple small meals and gradually introducing raw meat berries and eggs cut recovery down considerably. My own dogs ate Pedigree for years and did well. Same diet. Smaller amount of kibble. Fresh fruit berries meat veggies and eggs.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Love the name "Lil" and her face. She reminds me a little of my mom's mix, cattle dog and mountain cur. Hope she's feeling better soon.

Reactions: GatorBytes

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I know I will get trashed for this but hey never cared much what others think.
EVERY rescue I have ever had did best on Pedigree. We found that by breaking feedings into small meals multiple times a day and slowly adding fresh food into their diets we greatly reduced the days of cleaning nastiness.
Many big name kibbles are just too rich and a dog with a trashed tummy may not do well on raw food. The detox effect caused by raw can put more pressure on an already compromised system.
I found feeding multple small meals and gradually introducing raw meat berries and eggs cut recovery down considerably. My own dogs ate Pedigree for years and did well. Same diet. Smaller amount of kibble. Fresh fruit berries meat veggies and eggs.
Years ago, only thing we could get our rescue to eat was Old Roy, with a raw egg on top. She did well on it, not that I feed it to my dogs now but sometimes the oddest things work.

Reactions: Daisy&Lucky's Mom

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
We went to vet today, thankfully only 7 mins away as she hates the van. Likely due to either transport by others or her transport here.

I stopped in yesterday to give them her paperwork so the vet would have info prior to visit. She has another client from Welland SPCA who is also HW+, I didn't quite get whether from same Louisiana 150, as there was another I found on google not too long ago. Apparently BARK (in LA) teams up 2x a yr with Fort Erie and or Welland to bring dogs up from there. However they were hoping the test was a mistake or samples mixed up...They had re-tested and the dog was indeed HW+ and will be going for treatment too through the SPCA. The vet said that she trusts it's likely correct (based on other client)...BUT, you never know...

So I opted for the 4Dx (also b/c of tick disease and since these can turn up as false negatives a retry isn't bad idea) "mini"? Upgrade to incl a CBC and Chem, but I doubt comprehensive. The vet did say checks protein, crea, Red and White etc. etc. By upgrading (only 25$ more), it reduced the fecal test by $15...

She put her on metro for a week. I asked for the Fortiflora before I left...2 weeks worth, in the interim, until I can get Carmspacks goodies.
I didn't want to do metro, but because it is faster acting and covers more then Tylosin and because she was pooping blood (I won't get to graphic), yep...drugs (sigh)

I also picked up a bag of Gastro Hill's RX yesterday (I know you are saying "who is this!!")...No matter what kibble I give her she LOVES it...Bland diet or any safe human tummy food furgetaboutit...had to bribe her to eat rice, pumpkin, egg with a touch kibble. She picked out kibble. Hrs later and in small increments she eventually ate rest...But poop still poured out of her.

Her energy has been good, she drinking well along, counter surfer and wants food. Despite all the severe gastro issues, she wanted to eat.

Today she is doing really well, not needing to poop as often, although still soup...she has little bursts of playfulness (although cautious at same time)..

She has learned to block me for attention, leans on me, head up, smiling and curls her body as wags, and then flips around to lean from other side, too stinkin cute!

Oh, and she weighed in at 30 lbs!

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Holy Crap...or should I say none.
This dog has been going non stop since Friday. I started her on the RX kibble Mon. eve and although less frequent, still wet. She had a nominal amount just before vet app around 2 pm yesterday and as of 8am this morning hasn't gone. No accidents overnight, didn't even pee overnight, hasn't pee'd yet today...I've been up since 6am, we had coffee, went for walk, absolutely no indication she has to do either.

I started her on the metro around 5pm and second dose around 1030pm (per vet) with food both x
So she pee'd around 2pm yesterday (inside), then 11pm (inside)and nothing since
She pooped around 2pm yesterday. Nothing since (now 8am)
Note: we had short walk when back from vet around 4pm, then good walk at 7pm and another at 10pm. Nothing, Nada, zilch.
And 20 min walk at 7am

She also started showing some bratty behaviour...indication of feeling better or more relaxed or side effect of drug??? Didn't start until 3-4 hrs after her meds

I've been called into a job I have been waiting to start. I need to crate her. What do I do???

Reactions: Suki's Mom

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Any chance instead of crating you have a room you can shut her in. I know she has issues with doors etc but it would give her more room for extra pee pads and room for her to avoid sitting in mess? Maybe a shelf to set up radio w/soft music? Any trusted neighbor to take her out for potty? Any chance if the notice for work was unexpected, you could ask for a day break or 1/2 day due to an important previous commitment. That would give you a little more time to figure out a doable routine for you and her.

Just throwing out ideas.

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Any chance instead of crating you have a room you can shut her in. I know she has issues with doors etc but it would give her more room for extra pee pads and room for her to avoid sitting in mess? Maybe a shelf to set up radio w/soft music? Any trusted neighbor to take her out for potty? Any chance if the notice for work was unexpected, you could ask for a day break or 1/2 day due to an important previous commitment. That would give you a little more time to figure out a doable routine for you and her.

Just throwing out ideas.

I appreciate. I do not have a room I can put her in...
I actually do have a prior obligation, this job was supposed to have me on schedule this week. He was to text me last thurs with it. He didn't. I enquired Friday. He texted sat morning asking if I could come in that day to cover a shift. 1.5 hrs notice. I just got the dog, no crate set up, she had diarrhea and I couldn't pull it off so I said sorry but cannot do. He then said "try" and get me on schedule. He didn't. Well he texts me today, again, I have no confirmation that I have the job, no schedule and he's asking me to work.
I HAVE to go to an employment insurance informational thingy today or I will be cut off. I advised him.

I would like to have worked, but the dog would be crated 8hrs and just started meds and I am very stressed out because of her not pooping in 19 hrs and not peeing since 11pm. Still hasn't and it's 930am

I dropped every hint to my friend to come and help me. She didn't offer. Even though I mentioned on Monday about this appointment...She did look after her on Mon. though

I will be gone about 3 hrs with this appointment.
I crated her last night for an hour as she was being little brat and I needed some down time to eat and train her to accept it.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I have to head out but thought of this at the door. Any vet tech that may be off today that might be willing to donate some time to help you or for a small fee or maybe a rescue that you know whos helper or employee wh is off today may be willing. Just some more possible avenues you might consider to tap into. Might be worth a try to call the vet if you have a good relationship there.

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Getting very worried

As of 1pm she has not peed or pooped.

I called the clinic and spoke to receptionist who had told me they just got test results back. However Her vet isn't in today and will call me tomorrow to discuss "everything" and where to go from there (whatever that means).
Receptionist said she did test positive for roundworms and whipworms. So I know at least that. Not sure what her bloodwork may have uncovered. She could be anemic from the worms if this has been ongoing.
Heartgard is supposed to treat round worms though, so???

Clinic did go speak to on duty Vet (much to my prompting) about the lack of urination...Vet says not a concern at this time but if hasn't gone by morning then to call...well that would make it 36 hrs IF she hasn't gone by then...It's considered troubling by 48 hrs...but reading online 3-4 days can kill.

So I would think...lets not wait for 24hrs "to see" I am going to call at 5pm if she hasn't gone (it's 1:30pm now)

She has no symptoms. No distress, no seeming like she needs to go (for either), not licking there. She's sleeping lot's on and off. Very hot out so she lies in shade if on deck and I have the A/C going inside...she jumps at every chance she can to try and solicit food in the kitchen. She's up and following me when I go to do something (other then go online - then she sleeps)...she was super frisky, doing spins and dropping to floor and wagging her body (short lived as I don't want her to excited re: HW)...She has been walked twice so far...spunky, good energy, sniffing...But has given NO indication she has to pee

Clinic said that 24 - 48 hrs given her circumstances for not pooping is normal

And I asked about using panacur, but vet went with metro - pancur is needed for Whips. Sigh

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
SHE JUST PEED!!!!
Phew. I feel better.
Now if she could just hit the pad a little better, lol

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
The amount of dewormer in HG is not enough to treat. It's enough to prevent re-infection. I've never seen it (or any other HW preventative with dewormer) clear a worm infection.

Yep, you need panacur. 3 days of it will get the whipworms (though as I told you by PM, I prefer to go longer). Or else Drontal Plus (but it's a lot pricier). Whipworms can cause bloody diarrhea and can mess up the bloodwork too. Panacur Canine granules are the palatable option, but they cost more than the Panacur liquid (which you dose with a needleless syringe either by squirting in the mouth, or mixing with a lot canned food). The liquid tastes bad, but it's maybe half the price. A good friend had a foster dog spit the Panacur in her face, so she reported to me on the foul taste. ;)

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Thank you Magwart...the receptionist was nonspecific about the roundworm, said "type" so now have it in my head about the rat lungworm. Vet will call tomorrow a.m. about test results.

I forgot to mention yesterday, She did say that she couldn't hear any murmur, an indication the HW load (if it's a load or just one female that resulted in positive test) was blocking a valve from closing. Said sounded good as well as the lungs.

The rescue said all the dogs were dewormed. But that means nothing really...

Forgot too, that the adoption comes with 6 week pet insurance up to $500 ($100 deductible), my bill was $315 + 25 when I added on fortaflora. So hopefully that will be worked out by the clinic and the Panacur will top off the balance (I bought panacur yrs ago for G and it was $100 - but that vet was a jerk)

I will ask about granules.

The metro is quite big, says not to crush as very bitter...I just shoved it down her throat, fired a few kibbles as a treat after, no problem. G was awesome for taking pills, so I am pretty good at giving
But I suck at giving liquids.
I had to syringe slippery elm into her mouth as she wouldn't eat it. What an ordeal

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
GatorBytes - I am so happy for you and Lil! She is so precious. Today while out walking I met a lady with with a small gsd that looks just like your Lil. Eight years ago, she found her starving on the streets of San Jose . Her dog is now 11 years-old and so healthy. That's the future, I see for you an Lil.

·
Registered
228 Posts
But she is sooo cute!!!

Yesterday I went to this adoption event (see link)
Welland SPCA saves 150 'starving' U.S. dogs, up for adoption this weekend - Hamilton - CBC News

SO many dogs, SO many people, SO much barking. Huge event type tent set up in parking lot. 2 10x15' fenced area's you could take dog of choice to to see how they interact.
There were 3 Humane societies involved, 1 was from approx. 5 hrs away. It's a 4 day event. The dogs stay in tent in crates all weekend.

I spent about 5 hrs there, petted every single dog, took a couple out for walk as they seemed distressed/trembling. They were better after.
But this one little girl, she just stayed tucked away from people, flattened her back end when couple people tried to take her out. She was so quiet. Not a sound.

Anyhow, I was contemplating leaving, but decided that she needed a walk on some grass - not just go in the fenced area.
She couldn't care less about me or anybody.
I was about to return to tent, when a volunteer mentioned for $50 deposit you can take them home for night.
I decided to spring her.
Now I have 5 hrs left before she has to be back, to make a decision

She is listed as a shepherd x, but she's maybe 30lbs. I believe tag said 4 yrs old.
When I took her inside to give deposit, they scanned her microchip and file showed she is HW+

Now what do I do???
Well that depends. What do you want to do? Are you wanting to keep her?

Does the shelter provide heartworm treatments, some don't.

Read somewhere someone used scram parasite stuff of all things. But heartworms are serious and they can die from them. There are also other ways people on this site have listed a few.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have to stop reading from my phone it just had one post your first and nothing else. Didn't even realize all the time that had past! So now trying to read and catch up.

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Test Results - Good and Bad

The good...Her CBC and Chem values are all good (mostly) . Kidney, liver, protein, platelets...no anemia.
Her glucose was on low end, however vet felt was due to all the diarrhea and worm load.

The fecal was able to find 2 types of whip worm, both will be covered by panacur (granules!)..whips are very hard to catch, so fact that able to find on fecal in order to know to treat for is great! (metro doesn't kill whips)
Neg. to Giardia (but we know that doesn't mean much)
Neg to Cociddia

The bad...She tested positive for Anaplasmosis (neg. to Lyme and Ehrlichiosos), the Phagoctyophlum type (there is 2 types, the other affects platelets)
She is HW+ ...I was hoping for mistake :(
She does have baby heartworms circulating in her blood (the vet says the rescue likely only did a snap test, explained it like a pregnancy test - the filter result, looking at smear under microscope showed this)
The vet wants her on doxy sooner then later (me too, Oct. way too far off)
Her white blood cells were low (anaplasmosis??? type she has affects whites)...not low persay, but low considering they should be elevated indicating fighting off infection. She says this is sign she has been sick for long time.

I think thats it for now.

Reactions: dogma13
41 - 60 of 153 Posts