German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone quick question.

The past 4 months have been hectic time for me and my dog. leaving states because i left the miltary movin back home, all the prep for all that i havent been able to give him adequate attention and he has been out of work for a month (personal protection training)

How can i go about getting that bond back. I ask because his attitude has changed. He has challenged me a few times (he is 2 and comes from strong lines so its understandable) and i take care of it which is y i think my lack of enteracting with him during these stressful times is causing some friction? Maybe?

What are some things i could do?

Hand Feed him like i did when he was a puppy?
Obed. Train him like i was?
Play ball?

Thats what i had in mind. Any Suggestions? Thanks guys and gals.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I think starting from the beginning with OB would be your best bet. Like taking a refresher course. Lots of love and attention as well. When they are puppies they need us so much. As they get older, they don't seem to need us as much and we tend to get carried on with our lives.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Your dog is feeling the stress of all the moving and your resulting lack of time to be with him. Like Lilie said, do the obedience. But don't forget the play time -keep it balanced. For hand feeding,you might find the pushing exercise used in natural dog training to be helpful as this will let your dog work out some of his stress which is why he is challenging you, acting out as it were. Taking care of the challenge is not really getting to the root of the problem - which is the psychological stress. You can visit as a guest at Lee Charles Kelley's training forum, there posts that deal with moving and the answers he gives, or you can join and ask him a question.
http://dogtrainersnetwork.ning.com/

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Your dog is feeling the stress of all the moving and your resulting lack of time to be with him. Like Lilie said, do the obedience. But don't forget the play time -keep it balanced. For hand feeding,you might find the pushing exercise used in natural dog training to be helpful as this will let your dog work out some of his stress which is why he is challenging you, acting out as it were. Taking care of the challenge is not really getting to the root of the problem - which is the psychological stress. You can visit as a guest at Lee Charles Kelley's training forum, there posts that deal with moving and the answers he gives, or you can join and ask him a question.
http://dogtrainersnetwork.ning.com/
I really agree with this, balance the fun and play with obedience.

Have you done any trick training? That uses TONS of treats (so good with your hand feeding) and tends to be a much less stressful training environment than 'obedience'.

Teaching a trick is the least important part of teaching a trick

:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts