German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Hey, Rachel. Any news at all? I was just wondering- on your fliers, did you mention that Maya was last seen in the bed of a blue truck?

Still thinking of your family and Maya.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Nothing....
No I didn't mention the blue truck, cause we thought, people would only look for blue trucks, and I hope people will look all around...Not only at blue trucks, the men we had under suspision also have 3 other trucks....

Thanks so much for caring, we have no clue as what to do now, my husband went yesterday 1 hr away to HotSprings where the men lived, and drove around, he said he didn't see anything new... We thought that the new would wear off, and they would just tie Maya outside with the other GSD, we will keep checking them out...

I also got word the other day, that my Mass E-Mails have reached Virgina, and we live in NC! Isn't that wonderful!!!!!

Thanks again for everyone's help, I will keep you all updated if I get any news. Lets pray we get GOOD news, and ASAP!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Oh. I see what you mean about the truck deal. You are right, especially if you are suspicious of a certain person or people. I hate that you are going through this. I know that there are people who steal dogs, but I cannot fathom taking another family's pet.

Hang in there.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
There's NOW WAY I would ever steal a family pet, it takes a low life to do this to a family and the pet involved. Sick Sick People! Now we are worried, that they might harm Maya.....To get rid of her, cause they have been threated that this is a Felony, and one these men are already wanted by the law. But who knows maybe were barking up the wrong tree, but I feel in my heart that they have or had Maya. It's just like a mother's intiuation (however you spell that). I wish if they still have her, they would just turn her loose for animal control to pick up, then she would be checked for a microchip, and BAM, she would of been found! WISHFUL THINKING!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Rachel, Your loss has stayed with me and your story is here in the Mid Atlantic too because all roads from the South lead North - you know?

A story about not losing hope - I had the privilege of knowing a long-haired Chestnut called BearBear. A problem child for every owner, he was going to be put down because his impulsive behavior and size (130+) made him a danger to self and others. Not aggression mind you, just crazy stuff like chasing a horse, being kicked in the head (metal plate in skull), chasing truck, grabbing bumper (multiple contusions, fractured/pinned hip), the list goes on. His last owner before me put a cow chain on him and he took off with that too. His owner gave up but his vet knew me, introduced all involved, and BearBear was mine (and the first thing he did literally was put me face first on concrete, not to run away but in an effort to beat me to my truck and get in).

BearBear graced my home and I worked with him every single day. Finally, we reached an agreement. He would learn to walk and I'd take flying lessons to learn how to land softer. I've never met a stronger more determined dog in my life.

One night, while I was at work, someone tried to break into my house. BearBear got up on the kitchen table and leaped through the glass window dropping 8-10 feet to the ground and was gone (whomever was burgling changed their mind). But BearBear was gone. At the time, I did live in the country in a place where virtually no dogs made it out of the county shelter and farmers shot anything that even looked at their farms wrong. I could not sleep or eat. I walked, called, talked, drove for 14 days. I called the person responsible for picking up strays, road kill, etc., every day. After 14 days and the knowledge that we were certainly out of time, I called the shelter 1 more time only to be told again that they had no dog matching BearBear's description. They only had 1 dog that looked like a drowned rat, covered in filth, that had been taken from a farm when the farmer caught the dog chasing chickens. Apparently, with hundreds of chickens to choose from, the dog in question only chased but didn't seem to want to catch them. The farmer put his gun down and called the county to tell them they had better hurry before he changed his mind. The shelter man then said as soon as he drove up, he opened his truck door only to have this big lump of chicken poop jump right into the front seat and he still hadn't gotten the smell out.

I don't think I hung up the phone. I got there in record time and the only way I recognized my BearBear was because when I went to the kennel, he stood up on his hind legs to greet me. BearBear had many good years with us and everyone who knew him not only loved him but thought he was the luckiest dog they'd ever known.

Just as I know there is false hope spread everyday, I also know there are miracles for our pets. I won't stop hoping that you get one too.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Your story brought tears to my eyes......I feel like Maya would do anything for me too, it's amazing the love a dog can have, and it's a shame so many people don't know that love.....

We have had 2 cases of false hope now, and each time, it killed my family, I had one call from a man 1/4 mile from my house at 10:30 at night, telling me he had a GSD, it was running through is yard, and he thought it might be ours. Well, as I was talking with him on the phone, I let my self get way to excited, he told me she has a "PURPLE collar on with flowers" And that was Maya's collar to the tee. He also said "she came the the name Maya". So we woke up the kids and we all piled in my truck, we get to his house, for the GSD, NOT to be Maya. It sounded so good, it crushed us..... We really thought that was going to be her! Turns out it was another lost GSD, we took her home. She had only been gone for 3 days, but the owners were so happy, they started crying and so did I, I think I cried for 2 reasons, the first, cause I was happy for them, and I think the biggest reason, cause I wish that was me and Maya. So through all of this I did help another lost GSD in my area get back to her family...... Now only if we could find mine...

Thank You IntuitDog, you gave me hope!!!!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
There are a couple of black and tan GSD females posted on the Urgent Rescue forum in NC shelters. Have you checked these just in case someone drove her away (the blue truck) and she is now not in your local area?

Shannon

·
Registered
913 Posts
Rachel, I just found something on Craigslist from July 11th. Asheville/ Beverly Hills

Found Female dog in the Beverly Hills location. Young German shepherd purple collar.

Have you called? I will try your e-mail address. I know it is a long shot, but anything is possible.

I just e-mailed you. The title of their post was just "Found Dog E Asheville" It did not say GSD until I opened it. Good luck!

·
Registered
27,337 Posts
Fingers & paws crossed that this is Maya! Either one, Karin you are right, looks very similar!!

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Originally Posted By: ShepsRgr8Rachel, I just found something on Craigslist from July 11th. Asheville/ Beverly Hills

Found Female dog in the Beverly Hills location. Young German shepherd purple collar.

Have you called? I will try your e-mail address. I know it is a long shot, but anything is possible.

I just e-mailed you. The title of their post was just "Found Dog E Asheville" It did not say GSD until I opened it. Good luck!
Still listed... keeping my fingers crossed

http://asheville.craigslist.org/pet/749138277.html

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Hi Everyone.....Thanks so much for all the help, but no none of those are Maya....I wish they were. Still no word, the police say they've done all they can, and they will still look, but they have exhausted all the possibilities.
Yesterday was her 4 week mark of being gone. She is microchiped, so if she was to pop up at a shelter, they would check, right now that is our only hope for her return.

Again thanks so all of you wonderful people, If I could I would personally give each of you a BIG (((HUG)))!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Also I called that number from the Asheville Craigslist the day it popped up, it sounded so good, but no it wasn't Maya, but she was a beautiful GSD too, and the lady who has her can't find anyone looking for.....So sad, she was recently spayed, and she is microchiped, but the chip hasn't been registered, I hope she finds her home...Poor girl.

Thanks again for being on top of all of this!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Here is another pic of Maya for all of you... She was only 10 months here, but it really shows her markings. Isn't she so pretty..."Oh Maya we miss you!"

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
She is absolutely gorgeous! I'm so sorry that you haven't found her yet and that these leads haven't panned out. But, like you said, she does have that chip and that will make all the difference if she ends up being found by someone else or in a shelter. Don't give up! I've heard of dogs being found long after they were lost. I have a feeling that someday you will find her again.

21 - 40 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.