German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I guess as of right now ( in the heat of the moment ..vent heavy) Roxy is destined to be a bored dog...I try to get her to exercise outside and she wants no part of it.
we can't go for walks...because she pulls herself into a coughing fit. I'm not big enough to let her drag around. I have tried the pull back and side snap -- yeah that isn't working. The next and maybe last option I have is a prong collar.
I really don't feel I am doing her justice by letting her call the shots on where we walk. It's great and I'm happy she will walk around the yard..but that's not going to cut it. I head out on our street with her and it's a buck and pull fight all the way. I stop and carry her 35 lb @$$ up to the end of the road and try to get her to walk...as soon as we are back in view of the house it's a mad bolt..and I'm literally being dragged.
I feel bad for yanking and pulling her back and her choking herself and almost gagging. That can't be good for her either.

I bought her a soccer ball and took her out in our penned in area to play with her...that lasted about 5 minutes..and she was done and wanted back in the house...right now I'm so upset she's in her kennel having a time out.

I am so frustrated ..I read all this "oh they gotta have this much exercise a day" and we can't even get a 1/4 of that in cuz she's just not willing to do any of this fun outside stuff. She's great and happy to kick a water bottle around in the kitchen for hours..but wants nothing to do with anything outside.

I'm done...I'm done and feeling guilty about being disappointed in her and I know she knows I'm less than happy with her right now.

please somebody tell me I'm not the only frustrated one.

now I worry that the neighbors saw all this fighting and pulling and will think I'm a horrible pet owner. There was no hitting ..none of that involved ..just me trying to do that twist and pull back thing that everybody makes sound and look so easy...yeah not on a bucking bronco it's not. :help:

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My female does not require lots of exercise at all. Exercise is healthy for them, but it also gets out excess energy. Is your dog getting into stuff? Have you tried a flirt pole?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Are you using a training collar? If not the leash pop probably will not be effective. If so, when she pulls give a leash pp, with "no" and change directions. You will be in the front. When she comes up beside you tell the dog good heel. If the dog pulls forward again repeat the process. You probably won't get far in your walk, but she will learn to heel.

My oldest dog is 7 years. He has always pulled on the leash until he chokes or throws up. I had him on harness for years. I tried the above technique and he heels now on a training collar. It did take some time and patience, but I was happily surprised it worked.

·
Registered
187 Posts
A few things that have worked for me: I practiced walking in the house and the yard before going on a real walk along a wall or the yard fence with a treat in my hand. We would walk and when I stopped, Dexter would sit beside me and get a treat. Next, I introduced "follow me", basically like a heel command. As soon as he got what I wanted from him, I then introduced the leash. Again, only around the house and the yard. Once he had it all figured out, I took him for a walk.

Next step was to teach him that excitement at the door and trying to storm out, means the door will stay closed. No walk, unless he sits and waits. Again, teaching sit and wait by the door for a while before we actually walked. It only took a day or 2 for him to get it.

On the actual walk, if he pulls, I give the "follow me" command, which means that he has to walk right beside me. If he pulls, I just stand still, no yanking the leash, no verbal commands. As soon as he returns to me, the walk continues. I also taught him left and right heel and go sniff - which means, he can lead me to spots he wants to sniff out.

Before Dexter, I have never gotten a dog to heel for me, and I tried everything from jerking on the leash, treats, yelling in frustration - which definitely doesn't help. :) I totally understand how you feel, because I was there. Neither you nor your dog will enjoy going for a walk.

I got this method from watching Leerburg videos on YouTube and gave it a shot. It really worked for me and Dexter. Another thing this has taught me is to be patient, while teaching new skills and tricks. It's been a learning process for me and my puppy. :)

Good luck, and if you feel frustrated, it's best to stop your walk and take a deep breath.

I forgot to mention that I had Dexter tethered to me around the house when I first got him. I guess that helped a lot in figuring out where he has to be at all times, especially since we tripped over each other a lot in the beginning. :)

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I started Lisl on a prong collar at 12 weeks. You should have heard the gasps of disbelief and "OMG, I'd never put a 12 week old pup on a prong collar." On and on.

She was walking on a big girl leather collar at five months. Loose leash, no pulling.

What works for one dog doesn't alway work on another.

Ossie walked on a nylon collar and leash from day one with no pulling or hesitation. Different dog, different method.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
We had the no pull collars, the don't go round the neck. They have straps that go under their front legs and in front of the chest andacross shoulders. When they pull it tightens up under their armpits like. We had a regular collar too because the do look rather flimsy but never had one break either. Didn't take them for long walks, but they weighed in the 90's with these, so on 35 pounds could help pretty good. Kind of a hassle putting on.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Not every dog is going to need/want the "normal" amount of exercise. Finn exceeds the "normal" amount by a lot; he will go for hours if I let him and even that isn't enough sometimes. Cheyenne, our Collie, didn't even come close to the "normal" amount of exercise for a Collie. She just didn't want it and there was nothing wrong with that. She'd run around with Finn for about ten minutes, then go lay down in the grass and gnaw on a chew.

Invest in a good training collar. I ordered a good Martingale from the people who make the 13 in 1 leash. I love it and it gave me better control than a Choke Collar did. You might want to try a Prong, but after you find yourself not needing to correct with the Prong, maybe you can downgrade to a Martingale.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
If she enjoys the actual walk but only panics when going toward your house, sure try a prong. But also work on desensitizing her and getting her to focus on you. Is there anything she's crazy for? Food? Ball? Anything. Train the look command so she has to look at you. Train it first in your house until she can do it for a a minute or longer. Than move outside. When you love it outaide Use a very high value reward. Steak or something she goes crazy for! Eventually try and get her to do the focus on you when she starts to flip out and want to pull onward the house. Use the prong so she can't physically pull you over. But if she has drive for food or toys I would try hard to work through the panic in some way.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
did you get your dog when she was a pup? any classes? a trainer?
how old is your dog? start slow. leash her and walk around the yard.
then walk to the front of the house. then walk a few steps pass your house.
go slow. foot by foot. treat and praise.

put your dog in the car and drive somewhere for a walk and play.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Roxy is 4 months at the end of this month ..I brought her home at 11 weeks and began right away with training:

These things all go in our favor:

sit, stay, leave it, off, shake, place, roll-over, These took maybe each 1 day. I can go out and walk her on loose leash in our yard. ( we have like 1 and 1/2 acres-- non fenced) that I walk her around 2 times a day and she stays right with me ...will do the treat and following my hand. I stop..she stops..it's all perfect. I try to take her out of the yard to walk and that's when the whole flipping you know what begins. She will NOT walk to the van and will bolt away from that too if she thinks we are headed that way...so that requires carrying her to the van and putting her in her travel kennel. Once inside..she's great. I have the kennel right by my front seat so she is close to me and she'll either sit there and look out the window or lay down.
I have taken her across town to two different walking trails...both times she did really great. ..just a "little" bit of pulling. Most of the time the heel/sit commands were followed.

it's something about leaving the yard she has trouble with...and that makes me get too tempted to try letting her off leash in the yard but just beyond our housing addition is a highway..so NO WAY is that going to happen. It would be my luck off leash she would bolt to the highway.

she's such a great dog otherwise and I was happy to have this laid back ..chillin dog but then I see all the exercise this breed of dog needs and I freak out cuz she's not interested in all of that activity.

she has 2 zoomies bursts...1 in the am about an hour after breakfast and another one about 7pm. The one I know she's going to have in the am I try to take her out to our penned in play are and work on fetch/sit/release...again that's all great..she's a little smartie when it comes to her tricks and anything not involving walking away from the house.

I guess I need to relax a little bit. I decided the rest of today is just going to be a chill day...It has been a stressful kind of 2 days ( non pup related) and I think I was just trying to cram exercising her onto an already full plate when evidently she didn't really need it nor want it.

Yes, she started obedience training last wednesday and that will last for 6 weeks..just with the basic stuff she already knows...EXCEPT for right off the bat we are working on heel...which she is too distracted with the other dogs to really heel. It didn't help last week...it had rained for 2 days and the trainer didn't get a chance to pick the yard up ( aka poop patrol) so we ended up in this huge cement arena like basement area. What I feel most of this class will be is socialization -- she took right away to a mastiff...it's also a female but I think they are gonna be bff's in class. We also had a nice surprise of having Roxy's brother in class. Had no idea the people who bought him would be at this particular training class and also live in the same town as we do. We are planning on getting some play dates set up.

thank you all for listening. can I assume that roxy will not remember I lost my cool with her? I didn't really yell at her except when she was pulling so hard I thought she was going to cut her throat with the collar. And then I just put her in her crate for a time out so I could just lay down for awhile. I hope they forgive quickly :( sure made me feel bad.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
can you who are mentioning the Martingale please show me a picture of the one you used? I see I can get them off amazon but want to make sure I am getting the right thing. Thank you :) I'm guessing it's one with half flat collar and have choke chain?

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I use this collar/martingale
Martingale Collars with Metal Clip- The Ultimate Leash they are actually a vendor here

It sounds like the only problem you really have with her , is when you want to leave your property and take a walk..Sounds like she does fine when you get her in the car and go somewhere??? Because of that, that is what I'd be doing,,get her in the car and go hike somewhere,

Stick with your obedience class sounds like she likes it:) She's still pretty young, and most likely feels quite safe and comfortable at home.

She's also only 4 months old, still a 'baby' really, good luck with her I'm sure classes will help sort things out

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thank you jakoda..yes that's the only problem we have. I am going to look into this leash/collar. Maybe this will help :) thank you for your words of help!!!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
no problem, enjoy your obed classes:)

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
now where will I measure her to order that collar? I notice it goes up higher on the head so I must not measure just around the neck???

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you're only running into this issue when leaving the yard, then I wonder what she's afraid of. Personally, I would take baby steps out of the yard, literally, and tell her to sit after every step and reward when she does it, either with a treat or a quick game with your dog's favorite toy. I ignore when my dog throws a fit and reward when he calms down.

Based on what I read, you have laid the groundwork already when it comes to training. There are always going to be scary situations, and you might not have the right collar or gadget on hand. That's why I prefer a behavioral approach over the use of training tools, but again, that's just my personal preference.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
that makes me get too tempted to try letting her off leash in the yard
Use a long leash first. take your time with off leash unless in an enclosed environment. One chase of a wild animal and your dog will be hooked on chasing.

I thought she was going to cut her throat with the collar.
You can actually do damage to the dogs throat by letting it strive too much into the collar. Dogs don't feel pain like we imagine. We have to be the gauge for the dog really. Even if a dog is injured it will drive on. My advice on collars: Use a thicker collar and put it on pretty tight towards the top of the neck just under the chin.

When the leash is high on the dogs neck you have control of the head

I'm presuming you have a loose collar and are letting the dog drag you around with her lower neck and shoulders.

You seem way to sure your dog knows what is doing with sit/stay heel etc. It takes months to teach a dog to do that under distractions and in motion etc. Basically you need to proof it before the dog knows it.
Heres a simple explanation of proofing
Proofing Behaviors - The Final Step in Training Your Dog

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Didn't realize she was only 4 months. I wouldn't use the prong. I would focus on positive and building her up and overcoming her fear. I would only use the prong if she is large and you can't physically hold her back when she's pulling.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
164 Posts
Shadow had some of the same attitude that Roxy is showing, I think. She slows to a crawl with her head down while on walks but as soon as we turn toward home she perks up and trots ahead. None of the hardcore pulling, though, so you have the worst of it :(

I've begun bringing both my dogs on a walk and that seems to perk Shadow up, though she still slows down sometimes. I also try to walk her in the morning when she starts bouncing off the walls inside and the energy transfers into a more enthusiastic walk. I support changing to a different collar type; if she ignores the pulling of the collar it's useless for correction. Hope things work out with you!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts