German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member. I have been reading the posts for about 4 months and I need help. My 6 month old GSD, Lucy has run away. She is solid black and has been spayed. She weighs approx. 65 lbs. and has a pink polka dot collar on. Her tags, unfortunately, are on the other collar on my table. (I switched them for pictures!!) She ran on Tuesday February 26, 2008 around 11:30 am.

She was last seen on Newton Falls-Ravenna Rd. in Newton Falls (Paris Twsp). This location is on the border of 3 counties. Trumbull, Mahoning and Portage. I have contacted all three dog pounds and shelters in the tri-county area. The obedience school that we attend (YABTC) is working with me to find her. There are people there that are going to two of the pounds daily and I am covering the third in Portage County.

I have also posted on the web in quite a few places but I will be posting her to some more as I have read about more links that I should use from this site. There are fliers up everywhere and I have spoken to the meter readers in my area because they will be reading the meters on Monday. The city and township road departments in my area have been given fliers also. We are buried in snow here and more is falling every night. Below zero temperatures too!!!!

I am sure you are all wondering how I let this happen. I had Lucy and Sampson (our 10 year old Chesapeake Bay Retriever) out in our back yard by the woods. (There are over 100 acres behind us of State Land). I was taking pictures and throwing the ball around when a deer came out. Sam took off after the deer (he is a trained hunter) and Lucy raced after him. I whistled for Sam and he came back within a minute but Lucy was not with him. My daughters got on 4 wheelers and I took the truck out but we could not find her. Our neighbors were all notified immediately and then given fliers later that day. The police were called also right away. Vets offices in our city and the surrounding cities have been notified and given fliers.

Any advice on live trapping? Do you think she is still in the area or has she run farther away? We are driving around for hours in the morning and evening around her feeding times and calling her name and have had no luck. No one has even called from the add I placed in the paper saying they have seen her. Nothing.

Please let me know if there is anything else I should be doing. I am desperate. She is my velcro dog. Very, very attached to me and I am just as attached to her. I have 4 daughters who are miserable.

I have included the picture on the flier and also my favorite one of her and one of my daughters. These pictures were taken right before it happened. I am hoping they show up as this is my first time trying this.
Thank you all for any advice, help or just prayers!!
Shelly

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
There is a Yahoo group called "K9 Amber Alert" where you can post Lost and Found notices (you have to have a Yahoo account, but it's free - if you don't have one, just go to http://www.yahoo.com and sign up).

Petfinder at http://www.petfinder.com also has a Lost & Found section, both in the "Classified Ads" section and in the "Messages" section.

Dog Detective at http://www.dogdetective.com is also a good place to post.

If you can, go in person to the shelters around the area and check for yourself to see if she's there or not instead of just calling.

Good luck finding her - she's beautiful!

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI Shelly,
I am in the Youngstown area and I will keep watch for her as well. Angels for animals gets alot of calls and dogs in there. You should call them and let them know about her as well. They are 330-549-1111. Also, Pat Mataresse at the http://www.neohioworkingdog.com/ is right down the road from the YABTC area, further west, but close. You may want to shoot them a quick email and photos.
Take your daughters and your undershirts, even underware, and spread them around where she was last seen. Leave things she knows. Once they run, they get the "nervous" fear and tend to "forget" mama. 99% of them stay within a 1 mile radius. I'll say a prayer you get her back.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the replies. I am still searching diligently for Lucy right now. She was spotted about 2 miles from our home. The person saw her on Wednesday but didn't contact me until Saturday. I have now expanded my search a little further out. She is listed on every lost dog website I can find. PRAYERS PRAYERS PRAYERS

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We found Lucy today. She was shot to death just down the road from our home. According to the police she looks like she was killed almost immediately after she ran away. We did file a police report but it won't do any good. My kids are devastated and our household is in tears. I have 4 daughters and they are traumatized by this happening. My 11 year old keeps asking, "Why would someone want to kill our dog??" My husband just keeps telling her that there are bad people in the world. I am sickened by this. My baby is gone and for no reason. She was just 6 months old and gentle as a lamb.
Why???

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
OMG. I am so sorry to hear this. Lucy was gorgeous and looked so happy with your daughter. Your husband is right, there are some serious bad people in this world.

·
Registered
27,244 Posts
Lucy~What a sick person to do that. Prayers and sympathy to you and your family.

·
Registered
9,438 Posts
I am so sorry. It makes no sense at all and I can't imagine how hard it must be to try make your children understand that such cruelty exists in this world when we can't understand it as adults. This just makes me sick... Please give your kids an extra hug from all of us, and one to you and your hubby too. My thoughts are with you all...

·
Premium Member
11,233 Posts
There are mean and cruel and nasty people in this world...how very very sad that someone took Lucy from your family so unfairly....

I am so very sorry you lost Lucy.......

Lee

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I am so so sorry for your loss! That is devastating and you are so right, there are some really bad people in this world!!
RIP beautiful girl!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts