German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really did it now-I ordered my dogs license through the mail in December and when they arrived I put the envelope up figuring that my DH could put the new ones on in January and I forgot all about it. Today my DH asked me where they are-and I looked everywhere and can't find them. So-do I have to go and order new ones again-if so they will give me a fine because the license have to be ordered by a certain deadline and I believe the deadline has passed-or if I call them and explain that I lost them will they look them up and give me a copy of the tags? Has anybody else here ever lost their dog tags?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
You should either call or write/email and explain what happened. They may be able to give you a replacement and/or charge a smaller fee for a new one.

My city changed the licenses so instead of a real tag, it is a sticker you stick to the dog's rabies tag. The problem with that is if you have multiple tags on the collar they rub together... Bianca's license sticker was totally unreadable after a few months, and it was a 3-year license! I emailed them and they sent me a new one at no charge.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our city doesn't give 3 year licenses-you have to renew every year. I will call them tomorrow and see what they say. Kinda embarrassing though to explain how I lost not one but both tags! Hopefully I won't have to pay the full fee again-don't think they will charge me the penalty thinking it over because they must have all our info in the computer system and know that I already purchased this years tags.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I just ordered my dog tags off of www.gotags.com got 2 of them for 1.95 each and paid 2.98 for shipping so all togather it was $6.something lol can't remember. Any design I wanted and whatever I want on it. they give you like 4-5 lines to put whatever.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
My city just recently started offering the 3-year license. Since they also recently started allowing 3-year rabies tags I guess they decided to do the licenses too. However expecting a sticker on the rabies tag to last 3 years is pretty ridiculous IMO!

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just ordered my dog tags off of www.gotags.com got 2 of them for 1.95 each and paid 2.98 for shipping so all togather it was $6.something lol can't remember. Any design I wanted and whatever I want on it. they give you like 4-5 lines to put whatever.
I am talking about their license tag-the ones you get when you register them with your county.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
I think since the written record of your renewal is there there should be just a replacemnt fee.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My city just recently started offering the 3-year license. Since they also recently started allowing 3-year rabies tags I guess they decided to do the licenses too. However expecting a sticker on the rabies tag to last 3 years is pretty ridiculous IMO!
For sure, no way a sticker will last that long. We have had the 3 year rabies for a long time but having advanced to the 3 year license yet. Do they charge the yearly license fee times 3 for it then?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
For sure, no way a sticker will last that long. We have had the 3 year rabies for a long time but having advanced to the 3 year license yet. Do they charge the yearly license fee times 3 for it then?
Yeah the sticker thing is new, in fact I think they started the sticker (as opposed to an actual license tag) and the 3-year option at around the same time...

I checked their website, they call it an "emblem" instead of a sticker and it says the replacement fee is half of the regular license fee. I guess they only didn't charge me because I didn't lose it, it just wore out.

This is the 1 year license fees:
• Sterilized dog (neutered male, spayed female) .... $5.00
• Sterilized dog with a Chicago owner over age 65 .... $2.50
• Unsterilized dog .... $50.00
• Unsterilized dog with a Chicago owner over age 65 .... $5.00

For 3 year license you just multiply whichever applies by three. The license expires the same month as your rabies tag though so if you get a 1-year license but don't get it until way after your dog was vaccinated it won't last as long and you pay the same fee.

I'm not sure if they made any changes to make it last longer since we got it last. Bianca is actually due for a new one this month so I haven't gotten one for 3 years, it's possible they've improved on the sticker thing since then I guess.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
$50 for an intact dog to be licensed in Chicago? That's pretty steep.
My county has 3 yr licenses too, I just do the one year because it seems like the rabies vax are never in sync with it, so I'd have to show proof of vax regardless

·
Registered
606 Posts
I like how they do it here. If your dog is microchipped, you can get a lifetime tag. One time fee and never worry again. It's a steel tag. Last time I got one I think it was about $40.00

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
In New York, we have to renew them every year but for any "dogs of service" (service dogs, therapy dogs, SAR dogs, police dogs, etc.) it's free. :D I give them a copy of my dog's TDI ID and don't pay for the tag.

As for losing the tags ... I lost Abby's tag once, it fell off the collar somehow. I just went back to the county clerk's office in the court house and asked to get a replacement. They keep the rabies on file and you can get a replacement tag anytime. It costs the same as getting a regular tag.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I know service dogs do not have to pay licensing fees here either, but I don't think that applies to therapy dogs here.

$50 for an intact dog to be licensed in Chicago? That's pretty steep.
Yep, it is, unless the owner is over 65.
The are very big on s/n here, there's also a law that any intact stray that ends up in the pound will be sterilized before the owner can reclaim them. It's possible to file an appeal but I don't know how that works.

I like how they do it here. If your dog is microchipped, you can get a lifetime tag. One time fee and never worry again. It's a steel tag. Last time I got one I think it was about $40.00
They won't do that here because they want to be sure the dogs are up to date on rabies I guess...

·
5,627 Posts
Same here. It's like $35 and a steel tag. Definitely worth it to me.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Over here the dog tags cost $14 per year and $28 if you miss the January 31st deadline. They don't ask for the rabies info when you register. Basically they only ask your dogs name, age, breed, color, and your address and phone number. The vets office is the only place that has record of the rabies vaccine and they are the ones that issue you the tag for rabies.

That lifetime tag would be wonderful. Also over here we don't get any discount for having a neutered dog-they don't even ask about that when you register them-another good idea though, sort of, because one of my dogs is neutered but the other is not so I guess it would end up costing me more if its $50 for a dog that isn't fixed.

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Ok call me ignorant.. probably appropriate for this question.. What are you licensing for? Is it a CGC thing? Or a Dog park thing? Sorry.. just thought I'd ask so I can be in the "in" :) Thanks.

·
Registered
837 Posts
We attached a fluorescent collar to the handle of Joey's leash, and hooked the tags to that collar. There are 3 tags: his dog license, rabies shot info and microchip info. That way we have them when we're outside with him.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok call me ignorant.. probably appropriate for this question.. What are you licensing for? Is it a CGC thing? Or a Dog park thing? Sorry.. just thought I'd ask so I can be in the "in" :) Thanks.
It is a law here that every dog must be registered and issued a tag with a license number on it so that if the dog is ever lost it can be identified and your name and address will come up.

Update-I called the Auditors office and they told me just to mail them fifty cents and that they would mail me a duplicate of their license. The only thing I had to do was get a duplicate of the original check that I sent them, and when they cashed it they had wisely written both of the dogs license numbers right onto the check-this came in very hand because they haven't entered any of this info into the computer system yet. Glad for online banking when you need to be able to go back a couple months and draw up an image of a check-it only take about a minute to locate it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts