German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
So this morning on the way to Enders training I noticed two things (probably entirely unrelated)...first a swollen area on in between his eye and back of his mouth...not a knot or tumor like...just swollen area...so we decided after this training session we would run to the vet....so after training we head to the vet and also notice there is a patch of hair falling out on his right ear...no redness or irritation?

The vet gave him an anti inflammatory shot for the bump and I asked to do a scraping to check for mange mites on his ear.....the bump im not so worried about the...hes 4 months old and crashes into stuff like a puppy does ....the scrape came back negative for mange...and honestly it may be him just being a puppy but wanted to run it by some other GSD owners.

He is a week over 4 months old.....32 lbs....and eating royal canin. His mood and attitude are normal...eating is fine...stool is fine as well....

PS the patch will look abit red in pics because it was just scraped. The bump is going down rapidly after the shot...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
First off- THOSE EARS!!!!! Spectacular!!!

The bump, is it the one on the side of his muzzle below his eye on the left side when looking at the pic? Wondering if its a salivary gland. The anti-inflammatories should help, but if it gets bigger go back.

His ears- if you rub on his ears does his back leg kick? Could be lots of things, rubbing on the crate, mange, ringworm. Without seeing the original spot, no way to know. If his back leg kicks when you rub it, tell the vet. It's called a pinna-pedal reflex. Common indication for sarcoptic mange.

Once again- THOSE EARS!!!!!!!!! Love love love them!!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First off- THOSE EARS!!!!! Spectacular!!!

The bump, is it the one on the side of his muzzle below his eye on the left side when looking at the pic? Wondering if its a salivary gland. The anti-inflammatories should help, but if it gets bigger go back.

His ears- if you rub on his ears does his back leg kick? Could be lots of things, rubbing on the crate, mange, ringworm. Without seeing the original spot, no way to know. If his back leg kicks when you rub it, tell the vet. It's called a pinna-pedal reflex. Common indication for sarcoptic mange.

Once again- THOSE EARS!!!!!!!!! Love love love them!!!!

yes that's the bump, and as of this morning its gone down even more so that seems to be working itself out

Like I said the vet did a scraping and it came back negative, would the mites not show up? And honestly I had no idea that there was more than one type of mange....He defiantly kicks his legs back when you scratch the tips of his ears, he has done it since he was young.....and i found the patch of hair off his ears in his crate...so maybe crate rub?....no chance he just enjoys having his ears scratched? Funny how you try and do everythig right and the hits keep coming !!! :cry:

Thanks for the complement, i'm super Proud of them :) they came up in days!!!

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Actually it is VERY common for mites not to be seen on a scraping. Sneaky little suckers. Keep an eye on them, and his legs and behind his armpits for other hair loss. It most likely is crate rub.

As for mange there are 2 main types, Demodectic and Sarcoptic. Demodectic is found generally in puppies and is not contagious to humans, Sarcoptic is all ages and contagious to humans(sort of)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually it is VERY common for mites not to be seen on a scraping. Sneaky little suckers. Keep an eye on them, and his legs and behind his armpits for other hair loss. It most likely is crate rub.

As for mange there are 2 main types, Demodectic and Sarcoptic. Demodectic is found generally in puppies and is not contagious to humans, Sarcoptic is all ages and contagious to humans(sort of)

So as the day has gone on i've found a few more tufts of hair....no chance that he could be shedding his puppy coat? Im going to get him in the vet tomo i think...although my vet does not instill much confidence. :help:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Actually with sarcoptic mange (i think this is what i'm dealing with with my 10 month old right now) - it's supposed to be TERRIBLY itchy for them, so if you're noticing you're pup scratching himself and chewing on himself excessively, it could quite possibly be sarcoptic mange.

Like the other person here said, and I've also read several sources on this through my own research online, it seems that it sometimes takes several scrapes for sarcoptic mange to show up, so the scrapes may ultimately be useless if it is sarcoptic mange.

I've read that Revolution is supposed to provide a good fix for this. I just gave him his 2nd dose in 2 weeks (otherwise it's supposed to be once a month, but I'd rather not keep giving him chemicals, I just don't know what else to do right now), and it seems to have reduced after I gave him the 2nd dose yesterday.

I didn't notice any difference after the first, he was still scratching away like a maniac.

Again, it seems that the biggest sign of sarcoptic mange is the itchiness. It seems to start at the belly and then spread. I suspect he's had this for a while, because I mentioned it to my vet before and he just kinda ignored it.

Great name btw, the Ender's Game series is one of my favourite! Oh and as for the tufts of fur, it's possible that he's blowing his coat since it's now spring and the weather should be warming up. You might have to start brushing more often at least for now (i've read the blowing of their coat could take up to 2 weeks?)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually with sarcoptic mange (i think this is what i'm dealing with with my 10 month old right now) - it's supposed to be TERRIBLY itchy for them, so if you're noticing you're pup scratching himself and chewing on himself excessively, it could quite possibly be sarcoptic mange.

Like the other person here said, and I've also read several sources on this through my own research online, it seems that it sometimes takes several scrapes for sarcoptic mange to show up, so the scrapes may ultimately be useless if it is sarcoptic mange.

I've read that Revolution is supposed to provide a good fix for this. I just gave him his 2nd dose in 2 weeks (otherwise it's supposed to be once a month, but I'd rather not keep giving him chemicals, I just don't know what else to do right now), and it seems to have reduced after I gave him the 2nd dose yesterday.

I didn't notice any difference after the first, he was still scratching away like a maniac.

Again, it seems that the biggest sign of sarcoptic mange is the itchiness. It seems to start at the belly and then spread. I suspect he's had this for a while, because I mentioned it to my vet before and he just kinda ignored it.

Great name btw, the Ender's Game series is one of my favourite! Oh and as for the tufts of fur, it's possible that he's blowing his coat since it's now spring and the weather should be warming up. You might have to start brushing more often at least for now (i've read the blowing of their coat could take up to 2 weeks?)

That sounds like most of what i read as well, and had the same issue with the vet just kind of blowing it of....:mad:....I dont know if you ran across this in any of your reading but i was worried about putting ender on any heavy medication as well...so I started treating with Neem oil....I found a shampoo and a spray with a carrier oil(you cant use the Neem 100% its to potent and can upset the area) you bath the pup in it and let it soak for 5 min then wash off....did this once and treated the area locally....it seemed to really help with the itching after a day or so...but the spot wasn't getting better...although it wasn't getting worse...i went BACK to the vet and was pretty persistent about getting something...so i left with small tube of Resortin...its kind of a topical gel that's a kill all fungi..mites...ect... with the combo of both its seemed to be healing...fur is now growing back on it and he doesn't scratch at it all the time...dunno if it was Neem or the resoirtin but something worked haha...

He seemed to be a lil itchey still so Ive got him on flax seed oil every other day and salmon oil every other day with food....and I added Blue wilderness salmon mix in with his Royal Canin...as of now he seems very content and isn't itchy...aside from the normal i'm a dog stuff haha! and his coat looks great!

Thanks for the complement....people eithe get it or have no idea haha! One of my faves as well......they are making a move soon!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just wanted to give an update on what's going on with Rusty.

So I saw another vet last tuesday, he did a few skin scrapes, with nothing showing up. He said to continue with a third dose of Revolution just in case it is sarcoptic mange (even though it didn't help....at least I don't think it did).

He also gave me a bottle of Surolan (the stuff that's commonly used for ear infections), to apply to the tips of his ears where the fur was gone, applied twice a day. That was a week ago and I'm seeing the hair grow back slowly but surely.

Today I noticed that he wasn't as itchy as he usually is, and i know the weather around here (Toronto area) is starting to warm up a bit, so I'm wondering if it has to do with dry skin due to the dryness we experience up here during our winters. I also read something about houses with forced heat heating up the house can sometimes cause a dryness issue, and I'm hoping this is what it is, rather than mange or food allergies. The 2nd vet said that if it was food allergies, that'd end up being more of a nuisance going forward.

Again, otherwise Rusty's mood and energy levels are fantastic and doesn't really seem to be hindered at all in any way.

As for the Enders Game movie - I'm kinda worried they'll screw it up somehow. :( How far into the series did you get? i stopped early on in book 4, Children of the Mind. I thought books 2 and 3 were fantastic, delving into deep philosophical issues. Book 1 thought I think was the perfect, light, entertaining introduction to the series.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts