German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mei is 19 weeks today. This started just a couple days ago. We feed her three times a day. We've fed her Victor Hi Pro Plus kibble from 8 weeks and she would inhale it. Started at cup and half each feeding and I wanna say at 4 months upped it to two cups each feeding and she would eat it all no problem.

Lately she hasn't inhaled it, so that's good but wasn't finishing it. What I've done is poor the rest of the food on the ground then she will at least slowly finish. This morning she didn't seem interested at all in the food until I poured it all on the ground but she still left a little.

Is she just getting picky? Her poops are good and solid. She still poops on a schedule too. Her behavior hasn't changed at all. She burps after eating, so that's a good sign nothing is twisted. I've always waited like half hour to hour after she eats before playing. She doesn't seem sick. Just still her normal happy self. She's goin nutso right now with her Kong Wubba toy...its her favorite lol.

Do I need to change her food up? I've been very happy with Victor. It's not the cheapest, but I wouldn't feel good about feeding her stuff just because it's cheap
I even feed the cats good lol. Victor has other lines I can maybe try. I've thrown a raw egg mixed into her kibble before and she really liked that. Just had crazy diarrhea the next day though.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, my youngest daughter asked to eat a bagel. I asked her where her yogurt went and she said the older sister ate them and then she said the dog ate it...

Now I'm wondering if this is happening because the kids are possibly giving her human food...

·
Registered
868 Posts
Teething can affect appetite--if that's the problem sometimes soaking the kibble in warm water-- getting it softer may help--hotter weather also can affect appetite... or as you said you may need to change foods either brands and/or flavor....sometimes these guys ..out of the blue...get picky about certain food...change food they'll fine.....at least for a while---lol

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Teething can affect appetite--if that's the problem sometimes soaking the kibble in warm water-- getting it softer may help--hotter weather also can affect appetite...
Well it is getting hot and I didn't think of the teething. She definitely is going through that...

Thanks!

·
Registered
868 Posts
So, my youngest daughter asked to eat a bagel. I asked her where her yogurt went and she said the older sister ate them and then she said the dog ate it...

Now I'm wondering if this is happening because the kids are possibly giving her human food...

If you think that's happening semi regular.....sure that'll affect the pups appetite and can help create a "picky" eater

·
Registered
813 Posts
Stop messing with her food to get her to eat, too. That will definitely make it worse. Ask me how I know ☺
Same here lol. I tried not messing with it but she wouldn’t eat for days. Started just mixing yogurt in and no issues. Now I’m having to hand feed her to start her off and THEN she will eat out of her bowl....

·
Registered
167 Posts
Am a hard mum lol. Kids and dogs alike. I don't run a hotel with a menu. You get what you are given and if you don't eat it, no treats. That being said there is no point in trying to force feed my son eggs because he hates them. With my pup. food was down for fifteen minutes, if she didn't eat it, tough. However after a very long stand off it was obvious that she just doesn't do kibble on it's own (even soaked) so she gets it mixed up with wet food. Even now, she's not really a breakfast person but then neither am I.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
If they are feeding her sweetened yogurt, stop them. Your children should not feed her anything you haven’t approved. They can make her very sick.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If they are feeding her sweetened yogurt, stop them. Your children should not feed her anything you haven’t approved. They can make her very sick.
They know better, well should, and I've told them no feeding her anything. Kids are kids and i can't supervise 100% of the time.

I've reiterated that again, no food.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Same here lol. I tried not messing with it but she wouldn’t eat for days. Started just mixing yogurt in and no issues. Now I’m having to hand feed her to start her off and THEN she will eat out of her bowl....
It only gets worse and worse once you start that stuff. At least in my experience.

When they get hungry, they will eat. I actually think I was messing with my dog's head fussing over him with his food. He wants to be left alone.

·
Registered
447 Posts
My wife and I can relate! Many people are quick to state that a dog will not allow itself to starve... that given enough time, it will start eating again on its own. This is simply not true, at least not for all dogs. We know this from firsthand experience. We know that our very finicky eater would in fact have starved, had we not force-fed her. When her Pano acts up, Sheba becomes even more picky of an eater than usual. Having unfortunately followed the advice of those who stated that a dog would never starve itself, we agreed to play hardball to get her to start eating again on her own accord. In fact, we held off for almost 5 entire days, and she had still not touched a single morsel, so we were forced to take matters into our own hands to keep our poor girl from actually starving. This was during her second bout with Pano, and after not touching any food at all for many days, she lost a whopping 8 lbs in no time at all, and fast became a walking skeleton right before our eyes. It turned out that the only way we could get any food into her at all, was to feed her pieces of turkey/beef/pork by hand, as well as rice, broth, eggs, etc. So yes, with the experiences we've had with Sheba, there is no doubt in our minds that had we not caved in when we did, to force-fed her by hand, she would have indeed allowed herself to starve.

To this day, Sheba remains a very picky eater. (we're told that her mother is the same way, as is one of her siblings) She just does not get excited about food the way most dogs do. (not even with treats) So it's a lot of work for us to always ensure that she is getting enough food/nutrition/calories every day.

But we're very happy to report that, aside from her finicky ways, and near total dislike of almost any type of food, (particularly any form of actual dog food!) Sheba has blossomed into such an amazing, healthy, happy, gorgeous girl! She continues to grow very quickly, even at almost 10 months old, and currently stands a statuesque 27-1/4 inches, and weighs a svelte 85 pounds.

Now, I suppose someone may be quick to reply that if we now just give Sheba a "normal" doggie diet of a mix of kibble/canned, or raw, or whatever.... that she will gobble it right up if she's hungry enough. All I can say to these people is that they have not been through what we have over these past several months. We accept that Sheba just doesn't get excited about eating, the way that most dogs do. But we won't make the same mistake again in wrongly believing that if we just remain firm, (ie: "pick up the untouched food after 10-15minutes and they will quickly learn to eat what is put in front of them"...) that she would eat when she is good and ready, "because a dog won't starve itself" Nonsense.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@camperbc, thanks for sharing and I'm glad you found what works for Sheba.

I'm going to try the warm water in the kibble mix. Those that mentioned teething at the moment makes sense. One of her front side sharp teeth is coming in right now. Hasn't lost the other side sharp tooth yet.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Oh dear God I totally feel you... Almost everyone including my trainer told me to do 'Leave the bowl for 15 mins then just skip it if they don't eat. Then on to the next meal.' and they also said the famous non-true-in-my-case 'Dogs won't starve themselves.' Mine starved himself for 3 whole days until I changed the brand... Has your girl always been like that (non-ecstatic about food) since she was a puppy or it started since the pano came in?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Sorry your dog's stomach doesn't agree with eggs! Mine eats raw egg 3/4 times a week and it's been good for him. He started losing his appetite by a tad when he hit the 6 months mark. So I started subtituting 1 cup of dry food with 1 wet canned food and it's definitely helped with his appetite. Keep in mind that I added wet food because I had planned on feeding him wet food in the long term.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Your dog won't starve to death in 3 days. It usually takes 2-3 days before they get hungry enough to get with the program.

I think the general consensus is that an otherwise healthy dog will not let itself starve. If there is a pain problem or health problem causing the lack of appetite then that's something different. I will coax a sick or injured dog to eat a little baby food or something easily digestible.

Every dog I board who free feeds at home usually doesn't eat for at least one or two days because I don't leave food out, they get two offers per day and if they don't eat they wait till next time.

·
Registered
868 Posts
My wife and I can relate! Many people are quick to state that a dog will not allow itself to starve... that given enough time, it will start eating again on its own. This is simply not true, at least not for all dogs. We know this from firsthand experience. We know that our very finicky eater would in fact have starved, had we not force-fed her. When her Pano acts up, Sheba becomes even more picky of an eater than usual. Having unfortunately followed the advice of those who stated that a dog would never starve itself, we agreed to play hardball to get her to start eating again on her own accord. In fact, we held off for almost 5 entire days, and she had still not touched a single morsel, so we were forced to take matters into our own hands to keep our poor girl from actually starving. This was during her second bout with Pano, and after not touching any food at all for many days, she lost a whopping 8 lbs in no time at all, and fast became a walking skeleton right before our eyes. It turned out that the only way we could get any food into her at all, was to feed her pieces of turkey/beef/pork by hand, as well as rice, broth, eggs, etc. So yes, with the experiences we've had with Sheba, there is no doubt in our minds that had we not caved in when we did, to force-fed her by hand, she would have indeed allowed herself to starve.

To this day, Sheba remains a very picky eater. (we're told that her mother is the same way, as is one of her siblings) She just does not get excited about food the way most dogs do. (not even with treats) So it's a lot of work for us to always ensure that she is getting enough food/nutrition/calories every day.

But we're very happy to report that, aside from her finicky ways, and near total dislike of almost any type of food, (particularly any form of actual dog food!) Sheba has blossomed into such an amazing, healthy, happy, gorgeous girl! She continues to grow very quickly, even at almost 10 months old, and currently stands a statuesque 27-1/4 inches, and weighs a svelte 85 pounds.

Now, I suppose someone may be quick to reply that if we now just give Sheba a "normal" doggie diet of a mix of kibble/canned, or raw, or whatever.... that she will gobble it right up if she's hungry enough. All I can say to these people is that they have not been through what we have over these past several months. We accept that Sheba just doesn't get excited about eating, the way that most dogs do. But we won't make the same mistake again in wrongly believing that if we just remain firm, (ie: "pick up the untouched food after 10-15minutes and they will quickly learn to eat what is put in front of them"...) that she would eat when she is good and ready, "because a dog won't starve itself" Nonsense.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

I agree 100%....very well said....it takes watching a dog daily loosing a little weight to understand... Glen...you've been there and done that....I have a senior now.. with health issues...who 6 months ago was slowly loosing weight because he would barely eat....then I found the right food combo....at least for now....for folks here that have been through day to day life with a picky eater....they know exactly what you're talking about....I sure do.

With our own child or kids that ate at our table when I was younger it was easy to say "You're going to eat this or that before you leave the table"... in fact I've been thanked a couple times in my life by adults for making them eat a portion of something as a child....because they now love that particular food...it won't work with dogs....the don't have a complete grasp of the English language...and if they "see" you're upset or emotional...they'll shut down and really not eat.

Now I said the above so I could say this... do I think that any living creature who is hungry enough will eat even though they can't stand certain foods....Well Duuhhhhhh....of course they will....so then they eat.... does this one time eating create an appetite for a food they can't stand......NOPE....so you repeat the cycle over and over and over... and who suffers? who pays the price?... ..YOUR DOG......I'm not Charlie Sheen standing in front of a mirror---saying "WINNING !!" (if you know.. you know..if you don't sorry)... for me here's how I say "WINNING"...simply by watching my senior eat twice a day-that's a real WIN....period

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Well, I think we are talking about 2 different issues here. There are old, sick, health compromised dogs. Then there are not old, not compromised dogs who totally develop dysfunctional eating habits that are worsened by the person messing with their food, coaxing to eat. They become reliant on that and it tends to get worse over time.

As I understood it, the OPs dog who started this thread is young and in good health.

I am all about dogs eating food that appeals to them and is good for them whenever possible.

i used raw goat milk to coax a sick dog back from the brink years ago. I am not in the least bit advocating tough love on a compromised dog who needs help. My only point is that healthy dogs can become dysfunctional when you mess with their food. If something has to be added to kibble it is always better to add it first and then stick to your guns once you put the bowl down. Don't do anything once the bowl is down, because you wind up with a dog who turns their nose up hoping for something better.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts