German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
help! First year as breeder.

First mama okay with 12 pups born in May.

Second mama bred at 14 months, had 9 pups born June 22. Started shedding late, about three weeks after whelping. Now I'm brushing her, it looks as if her black outer coat is coming out and leaving her with the silver undercoat. Skin is dry and flaky.

The pups are almost 7 wks and eating dry food. Mama is back on maintenance diet, dry food. The pups and other dogs are doing great.

Also, need and RKI to help me distinguish actual colors. How do I discern between blk/tan and blk/red, blk/red and bi-color, blue/tan and blue/red, blk/tan and blk/sable, etc............?????

·
Registered
98 Posts
wow 14 months Has she had her hips checked I thought the rule was at leat 2 years contraversial (sorry if its spelled wrong) Good Luck

not a vet but sounds like diet/vitimins issue

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Originally Posted By: CVF_KAlso, need and RKI to help me distinguish actual colors. How do I discern between blk/tan and blk/red, blk/red and bi-color, blue/tan and blue/red, blk/tan and blk/sable, etc............?????
Are you wanting help distingushing the colors of pups or adults?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Have you taken the "shedding" female to your vet?

If you post picture of the puppies, some people may be able to distinguish the colorings

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
You need to put her back on a Performance diet or Puppy food so she can recover from the whelping and raising of her puppies. Her body has been stripped of many things and she needs to build them back up. Her losing the hair is just showing that her body is sending protein elsewhere and not the coat.

Cherri

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Originally Posted By: chasethedogGSDTrain,

where'd you get that chart from? It's really nice.
i can't exactly remember...I also have another chart but it is for GSD patterns. It shows, sables, blankets, saddles, solids, etc.

Here it is (sorry about the size):

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
In my opinion your dog is too young to be bred and you shouldn't be breeding if you don't know the coat colours. Genetics in the history of the dogs is much more complicated than coats. Please find an experienced and responsible breeder to mentor you.

·
Registered
964 Posts
my boy also seems to be shedding a lot lately and loosing the guard hair on his haunches.

At first I thought I was brushing too much (first Gsd). Never thought it might be diet related.

He is on one raw meal and one kibble (oriejn) a day. Hard to think he could be defisient

I also think it is very sad that OP bred a dog so young and with such a lack of knowledge. Shameful.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
She is full grown and had a very healthy litter of 9. Took the pups off her at 6 1/2 wks, she already looks better. Pups looking good, too.

First bitch had a very healthy litter of 12 beautiful pups. Oh, yeah, first bitch is an inbred rescue. She weighed less than 55 lbs when I acquired her at 14 months, she weighed about 100 just before delivering at 20 months, and her maintenance weight is about 65-70 lbs. I jumped through hoops to get her pedigree and register her.
I tried to keep the pups until they were 8 wks, but customers wanted their new babies at 6 1/2 wks.

I don't breed for winter pups, so just one litter per bitch per year. They have plenty of time for recovery.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah, I know she's young.

And some of the coat colors are hard to discern. Where does one draw the line between light red and dark tan? Between blanket back and bi-color?
Never mind, I sent a question to the Judges of the AKC. They ought to be able to steer me in the right direction.

By the way, Kerstone shepherds have plenty of info and pics for colors and patterns.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mentor????

hah, around here I AM THE INTELLIGENT ONE. A mentor would be great, if and when I can find someone who knows more than me.

I found one guy who's been in the biz several years and got it from his aunt, more than 20 yrs experience. He's breeding some very undersize bitches, and most of his dogs look wormy, scroungy and half starved. All of the dogs are in a small kennel or cage.

I have seen some breeding dogs who only vaguely resemble GSD's. I have visited breeders who will not allow you to see the parent dogs. Others have problems with the neighbors 'cause their dogs like to visit them. And....omg, some breeders cut off the front dewclaws and others leave on the hind dewclaws.
And need I mention the over pricing of GSD's? I thought $700 was high for limited registry until I saw a website advertising their pups for $6500 to $7000. Most of the people want their pups for farm dogs, protection or breeders. I don't breed show dogs, I breed working lines. My target customers are law enforcement......

It's been difficult to find any more import breeding stock around here that is at least as good as what I already have.

I keep my overhead low so I can afford the proper food, shelter and medical care, and still sell the pups at a low price. I give the proper vaccinations. I regularly deworm the dogs and pups with Safeguard 10% cause it is less expensive. My pups drink water with DI-METHOX 12.5% to eliminate cocciodosis. I stimulate the pups to increase playfulness and utility. I use Tri-Care ointment to keep the flies off of the dogs' ears. I keep their areas acceptably clean. I don't let my dogs run loose without supervision. I brush them when they shed. They all wear collars and tags. Most of them are allowed in the house at various times and they have over an acre of fenced in land for exercise. My stud dog's parents are OFA certified, and I am on contract to have him certified as soon as he has his second birthday. My first bitch turns 2 this month and will have her xrays then. My second bitch has plenty of OFA certification in her pedigree. And so on. I don't see the need of doing pre-lims as long as I know the pedigrees.

yeah, I guess I'm stupid

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Re: mentor????

I think finding a mentor is a very good idea.

Not knowing how to identify colors of puppies, being willing to let them go home at 6.5 weeks because the buyers want that, breeding dogs who aren't yet fully mentally or physically mature themselves yet, intentionally breeding for disqualifying coat colors (blue), breeding dogs without hip/elbow certs or assuming that those aren't necessaby because a dog "has plenty of OFA certification in her pedigree", all indicate that you have a great deal to learn about proper GSD breeding practices.

Not trying to be offensive or say that you don't have the makings of being a great breeder. It sounds like you're doing a lot of things right and have a strong dedication to your dogs. But I think getting some mentorship from more experienced breeders who can guide you on the right track would be a very good idea.

Also, as your intent is to breed dogs for police work and schutzhund, first thing you should do is get involved in those venues yourself and start training and working your dogs toward titles so they can prove they have the working ability required for those venues. That is the only way you are going to attract qualified buyers for that sort of dog.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts