German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i recently convinced my mother to let me get a german shepherd puppy, we already have one.

So 3 weeks ago, we collected Thor, aged 9 weeks. The first week was the usual peeing and pooing, i dealt with it, and accepted he needs training first before he is doing that outside and learns.

3 weeks on, im tearing my hair out, ive lost the will to live with Thor.

We have him in a crate, and i let him out every hour, he will go and do a pee and a poo, but comes in and does it in his crate as well. For every toilet he does outside he matches it inside.

Today pushed me over the edge, i let him out for around 15 minutes, running around, and i bring him, feed him, let him back out 10 minutes later. Then i bring him back in and he pees and poos in his crate :(

I dont know how much more i can take, ive never seen a pup like this, our other german shepherd is fully house trained, she was trained easy.

But Thor just isnt grasping not to do the toilet in his crate, he seems to think thats where to do it. He is stinking the house out, i dont know what else to do, letting him out every hour clearly isnt working? I praise him when he does do it outside, i dont scald him when he does it inside, i just put him in a seperate room and clean it, then when i clean it, he does it again!

This sounds like exaggeration, but i swear, this is true.

My mum has lost it, she wants him gone by Monday, and i dont know what to do.

Help? :(

·
Registered
99 Posts
Crate's too big. Make it smaller inside by placing a box at the rear of the crate that prevents his going there. Leave him just enough room to lay down comfortably. Expecting success at potty training by 9 weeks is not reasonable, never mind possible. Your mum's got to suck it up - you weren't toilet-trained out of the box, either, and after diapers (nappies) she can handle some puppy poop smell.

Puppies have to relieve themselves almost immediately after eating. Take him out and wait for him to go. Don't give up and bring him back in. Find some toilet-training resources for techniques and timelines, but in the meantime, reduce his area in the crate. He won't want to go where he has to lay, unless he's brain-damaged in some way.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum. I am sure you will get a lot of great advice here that will help you. So, don't give up!

A couple of questions:

Has the puppy been vet-checked? Sometimes potty training efforts are complicated by worms, bladder infection or UTI.

Is the puppy being fed on a schedule? What food is being fed?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Make it smaller? Thats a good idea, i will try that!

Hes fed every 4 hours, on Bakers Puppy food. He has been vet checked, i spoke to the vet about his toilet issue, and she didnt have an answer only that he was a baby.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Make it smaller? Thats a good idea, i will try that!

Hes fed every 4 hours, on Bakers Puppy food. He has been vet checked, i spoke to the vet about his toilet issue, and she didnt have an answer only that he was a baby.
Well there's a huge part of the problem. Feed him no more than twice a day and be done with it. No reason at all to be feeding every 4 hours. Once in morning and once in evening.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Be patient with Thor outside too. Sometimes they have 2 pee's and poo's. Is Thor always kept in a crate inside too? He might be doing that too because he knows he will get out of the crate. Key words here are" Be Patient" there is some really good suggestions on here. Don't give up.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I'd feed 3x a day for pups (it is what our breeder and trainer recommend).

Are you cleaning with an enzyme cleaner (like Natures Miracle)?

Agree with using a smaller crate until he is potty trained.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was told to feed my puppy three times a day by the breeder. I didn't, he was fed twice a day once in the morning and once at night and not at 8 months of age he is perfectly healthy!
He was also crate trained but we started out with a smaller crate, just enough room so he could turn around in it and lie down. We've upgraded since he's been growing and am thinking will have to get the next size up again soon as he's getting too big.
It is patience and consistency in house training.
I used to take Loki out every morning when he woke up (at 4am) and stay out there until he did. May be up to half an hour. Breakfast and then back out for half an hour.
Good luck and remember to be patient. He's still very young!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
As long as he is going out every hour, the fact that he's fed 4 times a day shouldn't matter. I fed my pup 4 times a day until he was 12 weeks old and will feed him 3 times a day until he's 6 months old. Not once has he had an accident in his crate. Something else is going on. The crate size would be an indicator. Also, be sure you use an enzymatic cleaner, otherwise he may go in the crate because he can still smell it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hang in there. I have just gone through this. Have always had female pups and had them crate trained very quickly and housetrained with not to much effort. Got my first male pup and was in the same boat as you. I changed his puppy food to wellness and later found out he had ghiradia. Course of antibiotics and that cleared up. The peeing in his crate was another matter. I think I moved him to a larger crate to soon which had a side door on it. He learned to lift his leg out the side - so he know has a bad habit of going pee in his crate. I had to put him back in a smaller crate and monitor his water intact before crate time. He is 9 months old but will still pee in it if I put him back in the larger one. It doesn't happen as often, but still does about 1x per week. Have your pups stool checked, get a smaller crate and watch you are not letting him drink too much before crate time and that he urinated before putting him back in. Good luck and just remember it does get better.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Also, pups that age should be taken out more often. When you go outside do NOT play with him. Have him on a leash, take him where you want him to potty, and tell him "go potty" once he has peed and pood praise him like crazy and get super excited!!!! Let him off the leash and play. Before going back in, do it again.

I am a big believer in those jingle bells on the back door- touch them to his nose every time you go out to potty and make them jingle- make it a game so you don't just ring bells in his face- and then go out for potty time. He will quickly learn that ringing the bells means its time to go potty

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts