German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,189 Posts
Tazer is 5 1/2 months now. He 62 lbs. already. His stools have been soft and I have tried a couple different foods before finding this site. He has been on Purina's puppy chow, science diet, Euk.

Total after talking with the the local store about getting away from the grain and by products they recommended EVO Red Meat Formula. The ingredients and such in alink below, but before I blow more money out the window on food, I thought I would get some opinions on it. I did not see the brand when I search so I started a new thread, pardon if its a double thread.

Meat-Based Pet Food – Premium Dog Food, Cat Food, Ferret Food, Dog Treats – EVO Pet Products
Protein44.17 % Fat23.13 % Fiber1.72 % Arginine2.73 % Histidine0.96 % Isoleucine1.75 % Leucine3.39 % Lysine2.78 % Met-Cysteine1.53 % Methionine1.0 % Phe-Tyrosine3.6 % Phenylalanine2.07 % Threonine1.83 % Tryptophan0.45 % Valine2.31 % Linoleic Acid1.27 % Arachidonic Acid0.09 % Ash8.0 % Calcium2.0 % Phosphorous1.26 % Potassium0.81 % Sodium0.43 % Chloride0.56 % Magnesium0.1 % Iron382.76 mg/kg Copper19.69 mg/kg Manganese22.83 mg/kg Zinc218.73 mg/kg Iodine3.02 mg/kg Selenium0.74 mg/kg Vitamin A 16623.81 IU/kg Vitamin D1620.58 IU/kg Vitamin E 318.56 IU/kg Vitamin K0.65 mg/kg Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)3.5 mg/kg Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)3.58 mg/kg Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid)15.08 mg/kg Niacin31.64 mg/kg Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)3.86 mg/kg Folic Acid0.98 mg/kg Biotin0.07 mg/kg Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin)15.38 mg/kg Choline1737.89 mg/kg Taurine0.11 % Omega 30.53 % Omega 6 1.17 % Linolenic Acid0.15 % EPA + DHA0.39 % Carbohydrates14.85 % Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)530.93 mg/kg

Since he is only 5 1/2 months old there may be too much switching already going on. His system needs time to adjust. And puppies can be sensitive to change. My GSD did best on Iams Large Breed Puppy - best stools - solid and I kept him on it prior to moving him to adult at about 6 months old, which has less fat in it. Be careful with Grain-Free and puppies as the calcium / phosphorus can be really high.

Pumpkin in a can will help firm things up. Not the pie mix. For his weight maybe a couple of tablespoons full.

As an FYI - the Orijen Grain Free LBP gave my GSD the runs - watery runs - it was horrible. And that was just from a small handful as treats.

· Registered
2,189 Posts
Thanks all for your replies! The store has no samples to try, wish they did. I recently saw the post about someone inquiring Wellness. That is another option (which brought my whole searching for fodo to the front), but the only place I can buy it is at a store which I REFUSE to give my money too!

I will try a tablespoon or so of pumpkin and wait another to switch him off the puppy chow for now. He is putting on weight even though his soft stools are still present(12 pounds in 6 weeks). I also talked to the vet and they would like to do another stool sample to make sure there is no ring/tape worm and gardia (sp.?)
Angeles was treated for coccidia / giardia even when the sample came back negative.....They used Metradiazone and that does help the intestinal tract. Also, if he eats too much at one meal that can make the stools soft too. I spread out Angeles' meals 3 x a day minimum until he was about 1 years old. The pumpkin in a can is a good bet. If you do switch, I would recommend the Iam's Large breed Puppy if the stools continue to be loose and the vet's unable to help as it could be the food at that point. If you kennel him with other dogs or go to dog parks he could be picking stuff up or stress from a kennel can cause loose stools too. I used to just keep extra Metradiazone on hand and the Low residue canned from Iams (vet formula) just to be on the safe side when I picked him up from the kennel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.