German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tazer is 5 1/2 months now. He 62 lbs. already. His stools have been soft and I have tried a couple different foods before finding this site. He has been on Purina's puppy chow, science diet, Euk.

Total after talking with the the local store about getting away from the grain and by products they recommended EVO Red Meat Formula. The ingredients and such in alink below, but before I blow more money out the window on food, I thought I would get some opinions on it. I did not see the brand when I search so I started a new thread, pardon if its a double thread.

Meat-Based Pet Food – Premium Dog Food, Cat Food, Ferret Food, Dog Treats – EVO Pet Products
Protein44.17 % Fat23.13 % Fiber1.72 % Arginine2.73 % Histidine0.96 % Isoleucine1.75 % Leucine3.39 % Lysine2.78 % Met-Cysteine1.53 % Methionine1.0 % Phe-Tyrosine3.6 % Phenylalanine2.07 % Threonine1.83 % Tryptophan0.45 % Valine2.31 % Linoleic Acid1.27 % Arachidonic Acid0.09 % Ash8.0 % Calcium2.0 % Phosphorous1.26 % Potassium0.81 % Sodium0.43 % Chloride0.56 % Magnesium0.1 % Iron382.76 mg/kg Copper19.69 mg/kg Manganese22.83 mg/kg Zinc218.73 mg/kg Iodine3.02 mg/kg Selenium0.74 mg/kg Vitamin A 16623.81 IU/kg Vitamin D1620.58 IU/kg Vitamin E 318.56 IU/kg Vitamin K0.65 mg/kg Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)3.5 mg/kg Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)3.58 mg/kg Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid)15.08 mg/kg Niacin31.64 mg/kg Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)3.86 mg/kg Folic Acid0.98 mg/kg Biotin0.07 mg/kg Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin)15.38 mg/kg Choline1737.89 mg/kg Taurine0.11 % Omega 30.53 % Omega 6 1.17 % Linolenic Acid0.15 % EPA + DHA0.39 % Carbohydrates14.85 % Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)530.93 mg/kg

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I've never tried Evo but people on this forum seem to recommend it often. I feed Nature's Variety Instinct rabbit which is grain-free, but they've just made a red meat formula, which I will definitely try. My dog doesn't like chicken at all, he acts like I'm feeding him poison. Do they have a sample you can try? I'd try a small bag of it and see if they'll let you return it if Tazer doesn't like it. Great name by the way

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
My dog has allergies to grains and chicken. She does well on grain-free fish formula foods - Orijen six fish, Acana Pacifica, or Wellness Core Ocean.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Tazer is 5 1/2 months now. He 62 lbs. already. His stools have been soft and I have tried a couple different foods before finding this site. He has been on Purina's puppy chow, science diet, Euk.

Total after talking with the the local store about getting away from the grain and by products they recommended EVO Red Meat Formula. The ingredients and such in alink below, but before I blow more money out the window on food, I thought I would get some opinions on it. I did not see the brand when I search so I started a new thread, pardon if its a double thread.

Meat-Based Pet Food – Premium Dog Food, Cat Food, Ferret Food, Dog Treats – EVO Pet Products
Protein44.17 % Fat23.13 % Fiber1.72 % Arginine2.73 % Histidine0.96 % Isoleucine1.75 % Leucine3.39 % Lysine2.78 % Met-Cysteine1.53 % Methionine1.0 % Phe-Tyrosine3.6 % Phenylalanine2.07 % Threonine1.83 % Tryptophan0.45 % Valine2.31 % Linoleic Acid1.27 % Arachidonic Acid0.09 % Ash8.0 % Calcium2.0 % Phosphorous1.26 % Potassium0.81 % Sodium0.43 % Chloride0.56 % Magnesium0.1 % Iron382.76 mg/kg Copper19.69 mg/kg Manganese22.83 mg/kg Zinc218.73 mg/kg Iodine3.02 mg/kg Selenium0.74 mg/kg Vitamin A 16623.81 IU/kg Vitamin D1620.58 IU/kg Vitamin E 318.56 IU/kg Vitamin K0.65 mg/kg Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)3.5 mg/kg Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)3.58 mg/kg Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid)15.08 mg/kg Niacin31.64 mg/kg Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)3.86 mg/kg Folic Acid0.98 mg/kg Biotin0.07 mg/kg Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin)15.38 mg/kg Choline1737.89 mg/kg Taurine0.11 % Omega 30.53 % Omega 6 1.17 % Linolenic Acid0.15 % EPA + DHA0.39 % Carbohydrates14.85 % Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)530.93 mg/kg

Since he is only 5 1/2 months old there may be too much switching already going on. His system needs time to adjust. And puppies can be sensitive to change. My GSD did best on Iams Large Breed Puppy - best stools - solid and I kept him on it prior to moving him to adult at about 6 months old, which has less fat in it. Be careful with Grain-Free and puppies as the calcium / phosphorus can be really high.

Pumpkin in a can will help firm things up. Not the pie mix. For his weight maybe a couple of tablespoons full.

As an FYI - the Orijen Grain Free LBP gave my GSD the runs - watery runs - it was horrible. And that was just from a small handful as treats.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for your replies! The store has no samples to try, wish they did. I recently saw the post about someone inquiring Wellness. That is another option (which brought my whole searching for fodo to the front), but the only place I can buy it is at a store which I REFUSE to give my money too!

I will try a tablespoon or so of pumpkin and wait another to switch him off the puppy chow for now. He is putting on weight even though his soft stools are still present(12 pounds in 6 weeks). I also talked to the vet and they would like to do another stool sample to make sure there is no ring/tape worm and gardia (sp.?)

·
Registered
302 Posts
I slowly changed Dutch off Purina to Orijen large breed puppy and he loves it. I also give him one meal of raw food in the evening. His poop has pretty much been solid the whole time, and he has had so much more energy (god help us).

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Thanks all for your replies! The store has no samples to try, wish they did. I recently saw the post about someone inquiring Wellness. That is another option (which brought my whole searching for fodo to the front), but the only place I can buy it is at a store which I REFUSE to give my money too!

I will try a tablespoon or so of pumpkin and wait another to switch him off the puppy chow for now. He is putting on weight even though his soft stools are still present(12 pounds in 6 weeks). I also talked to the vet and they would like to do another stool sample to make sure there is no ring/tape worm and gardia (sp.?)
Angeles was treated for coccidia / giardia even when the sample came back negative.....They used Metradiazone and that does help the intestinal tract. Also, if he eats too much at one meal that can make the stools soft too. I spread out Angeles' meals 3 x a day minimum until he was about 1 years old. The pumpkin in a can is a good bet. If you do switch, I would recommend the Iam's Large breed Puppy if the stools continue to be loose and the vet's unable to help as it could be the food at that point. If you kennel him with other dogs or go to dog parks he could be picking stuff up or stress from a kennel can cause loose stools too. I used to just keep extra Metradiazone on hand and the Low residue canned from Iams (vet formula) just to be on the safe side when I picked him up from the kennel.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I order online from doggiefood.com They carry good brands and have good prices. They have online coupons and sometimes free shipping. It cost me less to order from them, than when I order from my local pet store - even if I have to pay shipping. Just a thought, if you have trouble finding the brand you want locally.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had a lengthy discussion with a natura rep (they make EVO and Innova) and they mentioned that EVO is too rich for dogs with sensitive stomachs.

I have a similar problem with one of my dogs. She suggested the california natural line, with fewer ingrediants, no grains, and a single protein source.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Tazer is 5 1/2 months now.kg
since he is still growing, id stay away from a higher Ca food like EVO, TOTW, Core, Instinct (except the rabbit formula). if you really want to go grain free, orijen is the safest bet, imo.

EVO is a nice food for adult maintenance, but even Natura recommends against using it for large breed pups.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
since he is still growing, id stay away from a higher Ca food like EVO, TOTW, Core, Instinct (except the rabbit formula). if you really want to go grain free, orijen is the safest bet, imo.

EVO is a nice food for adult maintenance, but even Natura recommends against using it for large breed pups.
This was another concern of mine. Is puppy chow standard for the first 12 months or is this an opinion thing?

I am only feeding him twice a day now (2 1/2cups) per meal, but I may also try dividing that into a third feeding mid-day.

He is not often around dog parks and no other dogs in the house. Is is the only baby. Occassionaly we take him to play at my mother-in-laws (4 dogs). He loves it.

Thank again to everyones input. I have all but pulled my hair out trying to figure out his diet. The pros/cons of each food. What I need, what I don't. Must be obvious by now, but Tazer is my 1st GSD!:D
**edit** also I am chekcing into the mail order food. That may be a viable option. TKS

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
My dog had lots of loose poo and Natural Balance worked well for him. He didn't do well on alot of grains, or foods with a long list of ingredients. Natural Balance is more simple, but it also does not have as much protein as some other brands. His system has matured since then, but at the time Natural Balance did wonders for him, and I sometimes supplimented him with some chicken or beef to add extra protein.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
This was another concern of mine. Is puppy chow standard for the first 12 months or is this an opinion thing?

you dont need puppy food. most of the foods labeled large breed puppy are most certain to have lower calcium levels that are desired, so some folks feel more comfortable with those for the first year. however, there are adult foods will have low enough levels as well (around 1.6% maximum or less) and are fine for a gsd pup. Orijen just happens to be a grainless food that has lower Ca levels than other grainless foods.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Puppy food hasn't been around forever and in my opinion is mostly a gimic and marketing ploy for more money to be honest. CHD is something the dogs are born with and WILL NOT get just from how you exercise or feed your puppy... CHD is 100% genetic.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Orijen large breed puppy for the first year is a good bet. Semper Fi and ooohrah

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Orijen large breed puppy for the first year is a good bet. Semper Fi and ooohrah
Semper Fi! I took the simple suggestions of spacing his meals out and tablespoon of pumpkin. Today has been great so far. He seems to have even more energy and his stools have been good.:wild:

It has only been a day so it could be a fluke, but I will wait it out and see with my fingers crossed! I'll get him off this Science Diet in a month or two when this bag is starting to get low if all goes well. Thank you all again!:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts