German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now that the family and I are settled into a place we plan on staying at for a good long while, the subject of a family dog has intensified. I'm trying to surprise everyone with and actual pup, or at least a waiting list spot for Christmas. We are looking for a working line gsd. Love the all black and darker colored short coat dogs. With 4 & 8 yo kids, friendly is obviously a must. But plan on obedience, and at least some personal protection training asap.
This would be the 1st time myself, or my wife has had a registeres dog. I'm quite frankly finding the process of finding a trust worthy breeder to be maddening. I'll find one that looks promising, then check reviews not on their website, and get scared.
We live in CO Springs. And I'm willing to drive out of state if it's the right beeeder. Does anyone have a recommendation for this line of dog? Preferably near, but far is okay too. Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I spent some time looking at WL breeders in Colorado, but couldn't find any that I was happy with.

Marsha, a member on the forum @mnm has very nice looking dogs. She's located in Nebraska.

[email protected]

Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I think you really handcuff yourself by limiting to local breeders, especially when you aren’t in a place with lots of breeders. If I only wanted to use local breeders in California, I would have a plethora of options. It’s not like that for most. I would broaden your search area to at least the rest of the country and look at shipping options. Who do you intend to train with? All protection training isn’t equal, and most of the trainers aren’t good.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Marsha has a new litter on the ground right now, but has several individuals on a waiting list. It is possible that one or two pups may still be available. She produces excellent temperaments. Protection training requires a great deal of time and constant maintenance. As above, it also requires an excellent trainer and those are difficult to find. A bad one can completely ruin the best dog. With small kids and their friends running in and out, you need a bullet proof management plan if you pursue that type of training. Most working line shepherds will put on a display that is impressive enough to the uninvited. Most owners are not willing/able to maintain the training required to keep themselves and the dog in shape to work.

Good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you really handcuff yourself by limiting to local breeders, especially when you aren’t in a place with lots of breeders. If I only wanted to use local breeders in California, I would have a plethora of options. It’s not like that for most. I would broaden your search area to at least the rest of the country and look at shipping options. Who do you intend to train with? All protection training isn’t equal, and most of the trainers aren’t good.
I am willing to travel cost to cost if i feel good about the breeder. Obviously someone close would be optimal so I could visit the site. But travel isn't the biggest problem. So if you have a person you like send me a link and I will gladly check them out. Our neighbor works with the police, and is friends with the trainer. Plus there are other seemingly reputable trainers in our area. I'm just having trouble finding a breeder at the moment.
I spent some time looking at WL breeders in Colorado, but couldn't find any that I was happy with.

Marsha, a member on the forum @mnm has very nice looking dogs. She's located in Nebraska.

[email protected]

Good luck with your search!
Thank you. I will check out the site.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Marsha has a new litter on the ground right now, but has several individuals on a waiting list. It is possible that one or two pups may still be available. She produces excellent temperaments. Protection training requires a great deal of time and constant maintenance. As above, it also requires an excellent trainer and those are difficult to find. A bad one can completely ruin the best dog. With small kids and their friends running in and out, you need a bullet proof management plan if you pursue that type of training. Most working line shepherds will put on a display that is impressive enough to the uninvited. Most owners are not willing/able to maintain the training required to keep themselves and the dog in shape to work.

Good luck
Did she have a web site, or just email?

·
Super Moderator
32,424 Posts
Proximity is definitely not the most important thing. I’m in the San Francisco Bay Area and my current girl came from Salida, Colorado, a couple hours from you. The breeder has only had a couple litters and I don’t know if she plans to have another any time soon.

Prior to that, Halo came from Connecticut, and Dena and Keefer came from Portland, OR.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Proximity is definitely not the most important thing. I’m in the San Francisco Bay Area and my current girl came from Salida, Colorado, a couple hours from you. The breeder has only had a couple litters and I don’t know if she plans to have another any time soon.

Prior to that, Halo came from Connecticut, and Dena and Keefer came from Portland, OR.
It would be nice, but at this point I'd be happy if I could just feel confident. Wasn't prepared for the rabbit hole I'd be going down, and starting to feel overwhelmed.

·
Registered
773 Posts
in other words rather than trusting anybody else to tell you what you want, figure it out for yourself and start screening litters wherever you find them

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the best thing anyone in this position can do is educate yourself and be honest about what you really want out of your new dog. Not even the world's most trustworthy breeder is able to read your mind.

I'm trying to, just wasn't expecting to have to become an expert.
in other words rather than trusting anybody else to tell you what you want, figure it out for yourself and start screening litters wherever you find them
I know what I want. Just seeing what breeders people have had good experiences with.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

If you could message me the Salida breeders name, I'd like to check them out.

·
Registered
6,426 Posts

Did you visit the kennels and meet the dogs or were they shipped? I’ve always met every breeder I bought from, so far.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I bought my newest dog from Aus dem Tal. He is a social dog with good drives. He may fit what you are looking for. He can also be a lot of dog if you aren't prepared. There are a lot of threads on here recently about working line breeders. Feuergarten also has a litter due soon I believe. She may have dogs that fit has well.

·
Super Moderator
4,389 Posts
I spent 2 days traveling to get my latest puppy from another country. The inconvenience and expense are inconsequential considering the 12+ year commitment when undertaking a new dog. Find a breeder you trust and get a dog. Don't hamstring yourself geographically or put yourself on a timeline. Get the dog you want.

Reactions: kr16

·
Super Moderator
32,424 Posts
If you could message me the Salida breeders name, I'd like to check them out.
Are you on FB? She does not have a website or a page for her kennel but she has a page for her training club and a personal page.

Reactions: David Winners

·
Super Moderator
4,389 Posts

Do you know Connie Sutherland?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited by Moderator)
Did you visit the kennels and meet the dogs or were they shipped? I’ve always met every breeder I bought from, so far.
Was going to set up a visit with one this week. Pics look great. She was nice on the phone. But there were a few concerns. Wrote another about a specific dog. Asked about a visit. Saw some discouraging reviews on a forum. May hear back tomorrow. I asked 3 vet office's if they had a breeder they've worked with and trust. The answer was no. Wrote a local akc club, but never heard back. Wrote a shuBut If I choose a breeder near by, i will def visit.
The quick answer is not yet. Was planning on making an appointment for this week with one. Waiting to hear back from another one. I've written a local akc club but never heard back. And hopefully the Denver SCHUTZHUND club will write back soon with some recommendations .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought my newest dog from Aus dem Tal. He is a social dog with good drives. He may fit what you are looking for. He can also be a lot of dog if you aren't prepared. There are a lot of threads on here recently about working line breeders. Feuergarten also has a litter due soon I believe. She may have dogs that fit has well.
I'm willing to travel. Outside the US may be a stretch.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts