German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My golden retriever is dying. Spirit has always looked up to her and respected her, he's 15 months now. Is there anything special I need to do for him? How have others handled this process for their dogs?

This will make him the top and only dog now.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Do your best to keep his schedule the same.

Some dogs grieve, some don't. Keeping his routine will help, but don't be surprised if he goes off his food, or mopes around a bit. Try not to let your feelings about the passing pass to him.

It's hard. I am sorry for you and your family. It is so hard to lose a good friend.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Whenever we lose one of our pack members I let the other dogs go up to the body and spend as much as time as they want with it.

There is no doubt in my mind that other members of a pack know when one of there own is dying, and they are normally pretty accepting of it.

I'm sorry. I know how hard this can be.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this:(

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. Yes, this is very hard.

Do vets normally give you the flexibility to bring another dog in after one is put to sleep? I was wondering if that would be appropriate, or helpful. I'll ask.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Thank you. Yes, this is very hard.

Do vets normally give you the flexibility to bring another dog in after one is put to sleep? I was wondering if that would be appropriate, or helpful. I'll ask.
How old is she? What is going on with her?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I'm sorry you have to go through this.

We did this in September; our Collie passed and Finn had been with her every day for four years.

Everyone is correct; try to keep the schedule the same, but don't be afraid to grieve and understand that he will as well. Finn was off his food for a few days and was just mopey and not motivated. We started taking him on fun trips and it helped to perk him up.

Some vets will allow you to bring your other animals. It was an option for us, but we didn't take it as we didn't want to associate the vet with bad things. I'd do whatever feels right to you.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I IM'd you, llombardo.

She's 12-1/2 years. She has probable renal cancer, late stage judging by the severity of her symptoms. Her liver is very large, her spleen also abnormally large but not as bad as her liver. She's anemic, very weak, is also losing control of her back legs but not sure what is causing that ... could be because she's weak or maybe there is cancer that has spread to her spine or bone, or maybe she's developed DM, which would be separate from the cancer.

She could have days or weeks left, I have a hard time imagining it would be a month or longer. I have her on prednisone and tramadol. She sleeps a lot. I cry a lot. Spirit is his same crazy self :)

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
So sorry to hear...it's so hard see an old friend slipping away..

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
This is definitely the hardest part of Dog ownership. I wish none of us had to go through this :( I am sorry you are going through this....

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I`m sorry you have to go through this, my take on it is, I asked my vet if she would make a house call, when its time, in my old age, I now think its cold to take a dying friend away from the home and family to a place they never really like to go to begin with, to be PTS, my vet said she would come over, if and when its time

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I'm sorry for you & Spirit:(

My dads long time male companion passed away last month. His two senior females (sisters) are like night & day. One is still in mourning, eating less & just generally mopey. She's always been more sensitive to humans & other animals. Her sister is going on like nothing happened. He's buried in the yard, they both lay in that area often.

Take care

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
When Pyrate crossed the Rainbow Bridge Raina grieved for a long time. She didn't want to play, didn't really eat as much and wasn't interested in training. She wouldn't touch any of the toys that they had played with together so I bought new ones in an effort to get her interested. I took her to a show I knew would be easy for her and competed at Novice level so there would be no stress. I took her on a 3000 mile trip with just her and me. Eventually, she started to play more but it took a long time and new toys as Pyrate had been a constant in her life ever since she came to the US. He was the first dog she met in the US. It was her big brother. Yesterday I had to bring the crate from the car inside temporarily and I sat it where Pyrate's crate used to sit. Raina whined and went immediately to smell it. Of course she realized it was her crate but her reaction to seeing it setting in Pyrate's spot was heart breaking. I'm so sorry you have to go through this but I know all good dog owners have to experience it. Hugs to you and Spirit.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Daisy has always loved going in to see Dr. Wells, and he and his staff have long loved seeing Daisy. She'll be okay with that part. He saved her life once, and has seen her through everything, he will see her through this also. Bittersweet.

It's terribly hard to be grieving one dog while loving and caring for another. I thought having Spirit would help me through this. I have yet to find that to be true. I'm not neglecting Spirit, just observing it's difficult. I think soon enough he will understand and feel how very much he is needed. I will have a new pack of two. Complete redefinition.

Such a journey.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
When I lost my golden retriever back in 2011, we still had 2 male goldens who were 2 years behind her. She was just about to turn 14. She had cancer as well, and by the time the symptoms showed up, it was too late. We had just about 1 1/2- 2 weeks.

During the time she was sick, I made sure the other two were able to be around her as much as they wanted. They knew. Animals are so much smarter than so many people think. They would lay next to her and nuzzle her all day. I think this gave them some closure and comfort. When she passed they both mourned with us; mopy, lack of energy, not wanting to play, whined a little when laying down, etc. One worse than the other. She was the head of the house, so it did have a strong effect on the household animals. Everyone seemed to put back another structure within the year. We just tried to keep their life as normal as possible still, didn't change their schedule, and we tried to make sure they had plenty of TLC. They were older, so it's going to be a little different compared to yours. Being younger, you'll be able to lift his spirit with playing and taking him out... etc. He'll probably bounce back much quicker. It's easier to adjust when there's not a "pack" to have re-organized.

I'm really sorry you're going through this. It's really the worst thing about having animals of any kind. It's never easy. I will be keeping you three in my thoughts. :hug:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Daisy's big thing has always been fishing, she taught herself to fish. Her record is 14 fish in one afternoon at the lake, once she caught 3 at one time. We had so much fun doing this together, I was always so proud of her.

I didn't think Spirit would fish, not for a second. But he's watched Daisy and this morning he caught his first fish (actually he caught 4) in the kiddy pool I keep outside for Daisy. Daisy's always loved her sushi but Spirit is more a catch-and-release kind of guy.

So here is Spirit, Daisy's legacy. How often do you see this in a German Shepherd :)

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
What a great idea to put fish in the kiddie pool. I know Raina would love that. Too bad I just finished giving her a bath and blow dry. She will have to wait for that experiment until next weekend at least.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts