German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello everyone my 7 month old pup is shedding too much and if we even slightly pull his hairs he looses a bunch of hair together my neighbour who also has a 5 month old shepherd is not facing this issue even i tired pulling his pups hair with bit force but not a hair was uprooted now my other pup who is also shepherd 3 months old is facing this problem does anyone faced this problem or had knows what is it ?
thank you

·
Registered
262 Posts
Your GSD may be blowing its coat, they do this twice a year and it seems like all there hair is falling out. Mine did it in the beginning of summer and it just ended. They do it at different times so its normal yours may be doing it and not your neighbors.

3 Months seems a little young for a full blow but he may just be dropping his puppy fur.

https://www.cuteness.com/article/do-shepherds-shed-much-hair

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
This could be a diet issue or something more serious. For a three month old and a 7 month old to be facing the same issue would indicate to me that a vet visit is in order.
I thought just blowing it's coat until you mentioned a three month old.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
This could be a diet issue or something more serious. For a three month old and a 7 month old to be facing the same issue would indicate to me that a vet visit is in order.
I thought just blowing it's coat until you mentioned a three month old.
Yep, I would schedule a vet visit. Blowing coats is normal, but not for a 3 month old.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I can't tell whether the 3 month old is actually currently shedding....the OP says " 3 months old is facing this problem"....but as already said 7 month old "blowing it's coat"--but 3 month old loosing hair as bad as the older pup...see your vet...

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hello thanks for replying the weather is unpredictable right now as i live in delhi and the weather right now here is rainy but this year delhi would be receiving rainfall below than average so the weather asi said is unpredictable it can sunny during moring and hot but by afternoon or evening we woould be having rainfall or be receiving winds or just like summers

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
he is not loosing hair as much as my 7 month old is loosing but he is loosing very little but not like if you touch he would loose hair in bunch

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for replying and yes it my first time owning german shepherds before german shepherds i had a indie pup (indian street dog ) she actually got puppy napped infront of us a couple took her

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hello MOMS i can you please tell me what do you mean by thyroid problems because i have no idead about it i usually add a scoop of kibble with and home made food and lot of curd i m giving both og them royal canin german shepherd junior

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
hello MOMS i can you please tell me what do you mean by thyroid problems because i have no idead about it i usually add a scoop of kibble with and home made food and lot of curd i m giving both og them royal canin german shepherd junior

Per American Kennel Club- read the article here: https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/health/thyroid-disease-in-dogs/

Here are some of the more common symptoms:

• Lethargy
  • Exercise intolerance
  • Mental dullness
  • Weight gain without a change in appetite
  • Obesity
  • Cold intolerance
  • Changes in coat and skin, like increased shedding, hair thinning, and hair loss
  • Thickening of the skin
  • Reproductive disturbances in intact dogs

I've had 2 GSD's that were low thyroid because of spaying/neutering.

Following feeding recommendations of kibble:

The RC GSD "Puppy" for 3 month old's feeding guide recommends 328 g to 405 g or 3&5/8 cups to 4&4/8 cups fed daily depending on the weight of the pup. Not feeding the appropriate amount of kibble (which contains balanced vitamins and minerals) can result in deficiencies.

Iodine deficiency comes to mind.

Feeding more homemade food and less of the kibble could be giving your dog issues. Homemade food requires BALANCED nutrients.

Moms:)

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Got it thank you very much will follow the schedule from tommorow only and once again thank you very much

To AVOID gut upset: :wink2:

Transition with small amounts of kibble.... replacing the amount of the homemade food & curd you were feeding. This will take a few days to a week or two to complete the transition to a full kibble meal...eventually excluding the curd and homemade food.

His gut response will be your guide.......

If stool gets loose, go back to previous amount fed (where stool was solid) and hold at that amount for a few days until his gut gets use to it. Then increase again. This is called "bowel tolerance".

Moms :)

·
Registered
863 Posts
hello thanks for replying the weather is unpredictable right now as i live in delhi and the weather right now here is rainy but this year delhi would be receiving rainfall below than average so the weather asi said is unpredictable it can sunny during moring and hot but by afternoon or evening we woould be having rainfall or be receiving winds or just like summers
It could be a number of factors why your pup is losing hair/fur. Delhi is hot. Do you keep your dogs outside or are they inside dogs? What kind of food are you feeding them? Are they on any medications? Is the puppy scratching a lot? You have to tell us more about the situation so we may help you better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts