German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a litter of 6 pups and they're doing great. Eating, sleeping, growing. However, yesterday I noticed some loose yellow poop in their box (mom was outside and didn't get to it) and again today. Is this something I should be concerned about? Does it have to do with the mother's diet? She's on a mix of puppy food and canned wet food, with some raw meat in small quantities as well. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
I have a litter of 6 pups and they're doing great. Eating, sleeping, growing. However, yesterday I noticed some loose yellow poop in their box (mom was outside and didn't get to it) and again today. Is this something I should be concerned about? Does it have to do with the mother's diet? She's on a mix of puppy food and canned wet food, with some raw meat in small quantities as well. Any advice would be appreciated.
Are you weighing the puppies every day? If you are weighing them and they are gaining, a little loose or mushy stool may not be too much of a problem. Avoid cow's-milk that can give pups diarrhea and dehydrate them. But I do generally give a couple of teaspoons of Dannon's Yogurt, the whole milk kind. The canned food I give to the bitch is something like 78% meat, and I use lamb, beef, chicken, duck and turkey. Then I give kibble as well. Eggs are also good for her at this time.

What is her stool like. If she is having a loose stool as well you might want to back off just a little. If you are all concerned, take her and the pups to the vet, but I'd go to a repro-vet, not your local vet. Take the bitch with so that she is not concerned.

I worry about coccidia, giardia, worms -- but I doubt they would be at a point where they would cause an issue yet.

·
Super Moderator
18,673 Posts
This is about the point when mom's milk comes in heaviest. Usually you will see some soft poops. If concerned, I would take a sample into your vets just to check, but unlikely to find anything. As Selzer said, if they are gaining weight they are probably fine. Just keep an eye on their weight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks... I feel like they're healthy otherwise- they'll be a week old tomorrow and they've almost doubled their birth weight. Plus they're pushing themselves up on their front legs and scooting around the box, so they are quite strong. It's been a while since I've had a litter and I'm probably just being paranoid. Thanks again for your reassurance!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts