German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loki is a 1 year old GSD that has had diarrhea for 3 weeks. He has been to the vet twice. First we thought it was because he had gotten into rotten food. The vet put him on Metronidazole and I added a powder suppliment to his food. The explosive diarrhea stopped and it looked like he would be better. Then his stools starting getting soft again. I brought him back and had a sample tested which came back clean. I with held food for 24hours gave him plenty of water then started him on chicken and rice diet. He accually had a semi hard poop. I started to put his regular food (Purina One for Large Dogs) back in slowly then the diarrhea came back. Thinking it was the food I put him back on chicken and rice. Stools got a little firmer so I started to slowly add Blue Bufflo basics with salmon and potato. It has been three days since the new food and in the mornings he has had diarrhea. (light brown not alot of smell ). I started to investigate where he spends his day when on his run and I notice the pine tree behind the deck is missing the entire bottom branches. Now I am not sure it is the food or that it is the pine tree.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I agree with you it could be the pine tree. I would restrict that area so he can't get to it. I would also go back to the chicken and rice. I would also give a daily pre-biotic- I use Optagest which helps the digestion. When he is feeling better, than I would start slowly with what food I had left. If I started with Blue Buffalo, and there is problems (it could be the salmon or potato) , then I would stop that and go back to the Purinea.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Blue Buffalo is prone to causing GI upset and soft stools in dogs. I think it's a great food but even Zeke had soft stools when he was on it. How long has he been on his regular food previously? Seems odd that it would suddenly cause diarrhea if he was on it for a while. However, look at switching to a low ingredient food so you can start ruling out irritants. Ask your vet for recommendations.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts