German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gunner has been having loose stool for a while. He is on Fromm ( purple bag ) and use to get a small scoop of yogurt in his food. I stopped giving yogurt thinking that was the issue because he was very gasy when we switched him from Taste Of The Wild.

Fromm was cheaper for me ( being a college student ) but could it from the grain in Fromm? He has been on Fromm for about 6-8 months

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Gunner has been having loose stool for a while. He is on Fromm ( purple bag ) and use to get a small scoop of yogurt in his food. I stopped giving yogurt thinking that was the issue because he was very gasy when we switched him from Taste Of The Wild.

Fromm was cheaper for me ( being a college student ) but could it from the grain in Fromm? He has been on Fromm for about 6-8 months

Could be, but do you give him a digestive enzyme and probiotic?
Try adding some canned pumpkin (NO spices) and some "Slippery Elm" (it's not expensive) from a health food store, but not GNC. Slippery will calm his stomach. ;)
Not sure which one you are using but make sure there isn't any yeast type ingredients in it.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I feel your pain ... we went through chronic digestive issues with or GSD from 3 - 10 months of age.

In his case after many vet visits it turned out to be a case of SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth). He was given the antibiotic Tylan and that cleared it up.

Momto2GSDs has some good suggestions on what you can add to try and resolve the issue. Good luck ... I know it can be frustrating.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could be, but do you give him a digestive enzyme and probiotic?
Try adding some canned pumpkin (NO spices) and some "Slippery Elm" (it's not expensive) from a health food store, but not GNC. Slippery will calm his stomach. ;)
Not sure which one you are using but make sure there isn't any yeast type ingredients in it.
I do not give him any digestive enzyme or probiotic. Is this something I should be doing? Any certain brands that are good?

I thought pumpkin softened the stool.
I will look into Slippery Elm.
Thank you very much!!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel your pain ... we went through chronic digestive issues with or GSD from 3 - 10 months of age.

In his case after many vet visits it turned out to be a case of SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth). He was given the antibiotic Tylan and that cleared it up.

Momto2GSDs has some good suggestions on what you can add to try and resolve the issue. Good luck ... I know it can be frustrating.
I will try some of the things Momto2GDS and if that doesn't work then it looks like I might have to make a vet visit.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Ever consider some freeze dried raw? Like the Honest Kitchen? There products vary in prices, some can be expensive, but its easy to prepare - add water, wait 5 minutes serve, and this really helped with our dog's soft stool and colitis.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gretchen - no I have not and honestly never heard of that.

Here in KY we have an awesome natural pet store , I will be heading there sometime today.

Thanks so much everyone :)

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
I do not give him any digestive enzyme or probiotic. Is this something I should be doing? Any certain brands that are good?

I thought pumpkin softened the stool.
I will look into Slippery Elm.
Thank you very much!!

Pumpkin actually helps firm the stool.

I agree with Gretchen. The Honest Kitchen is the next best thing if you cannot do raw (IMHO), as long as your college budget can afford it. 10#'s of the dehydrated, complete, balanced, mixes makes about 35 pounds of food. It runs from about $2.35/lb to $3.50/lb depending on which variety, grain or non grain. Can be purchased at a "Doggie Boutique", on line, or directly from The Honest Kitchen with an automatic delivery schedule. All Natural Dog Food - Dehydrated Pet Food | The Honest Kitchen

If his diarrhea is really bad, boil some boneless, skinless chicken breast shred it and mix 50% of the shredded chicken and 50% pumpkin. Divide into 2 or 3 meals. You can add the Slippery Elm and Enzymes to this too.

Enzymes/Probiotics:
*Carmspac from this site has a good one called Sunday Sundae from Feed Sentinals. Send her a Private Message and ask her about it: http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/members/50917-carmspack.html
Another good one is: *Digest All Plus: It has enzymes and probiotic's mixed together. You can order from their site if your natural pet store doesn't have it. The Wholistic Pet

If you need any help, feel free to PM me!
Moms :)

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I had the same issues. I tried the rice, the pumpkin, the honest kitchen, the slippery elm and nothing worked. Someone recommended the Olewo carrots to me and they work better then anything I've ever tried. Within two servings, no more loose poop. I now give them the red beets to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts