German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 month old puppy Gon is really good with loose leash walking. We have been training with a flat collar and treats for almost 2 months now and he usually does very well.

That is, until another dog approaches. When he sees another dog, he pulls and pulls, sometimes barks, to try to go and play. He is not aggressive at all; he just wants to play. When he is pulling, he doesn't listen. Even if we put his favorite treat in front of his nose, he just ignores it.

My question is, is this one of those things that will just pass? Will he grow out of it? Or should I be worried and train him not to do it?

PS: I don't want to use choke collars.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
It's one of those things you need to train for and something they outgrow. When you see another dog, get his attention before he sees them. Stopping him before he goes nuts is key. You may need to walk the other way to get him to calm down.

Also, start teaching him to Watch (you). Teach him the Leave It command. Both will help you to get his attention and keep it.

When a dog passes by him and he doesn't go nuts. TREAT TREAT TREAT PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE. He'll learn soon enough. :)

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Just a side thought...have you worked on teaching him to Heel yet? I saw a vast improvement with Jax on a loose leash when teaching her to heel and watch me while heeling.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
You have to stick with it and show him you are the boss and that what he is doing is unacceptable. I still like to run past those situations so the dog has to follow you and can't stop.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I had the same problem with mine, what I did was put the dog in a sit and let the people pass. I know people say to go the other direction but that was a big negative because like you the dog REALY wanted to play so going the other way she would just be constantly looking behind her and trying to go in the other dogs direction, so the simple "sit" worked for me.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
DOG CLASSES!!

Lot less frustration and alot more learning! Leashed walking can be a challege for most of us.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
train and socialize. find a trainer (private lessons)
or a group class.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He knows the watch me and leave it commands. So I will try to use them before he sees the other dog. I haven't taught him the heel command, so that is something I will look into this weekend. Also, getting him to a sit position seems to be a good idea. Great tips!

Dog classes would be good, but where I live these things don't exist. There are 'dog tamers' (equivalent to dog trainers, but they are called tamers), but they use methods I want to avoid, such as spraying something on the dog's face or using choke collars.

Thank you all for your answers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts