German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to breed my male, I do not want money just a pick in the litter. My dog has perfect temperament and is very healthy. He is 14 months old at the moment.

Parents

va4 Ilbo vom Holtkamper and the mom is sg5 Leila vom Drei Birkenzwinger

I purchased my puppy from Germany.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
What health testing has he had done? At 14 months old he's not yet old enough for OFAs, but perhaps he was certified in Germany where a dog need only be 12 months. He's too young to have titles yet, but is he in training for those and when do you expect them to be accomplished?

Unfortunately, "perfect" temperament and health is very subjective, and also cannot be truly proven without impartial evaluations in the sense of health testing and some form of test of proper breed temperament and ability by a qualified judge (e.g. titles).

Furthermore, despite a strong pedigree and heritage, if he cannot prove that he lives up to that himself via his own accomplishments, the fact is you will not be able to attract the owner of a quality bitch to breed to him. Why would someone with an excellent bitch choose to breed to an untitled, untested, unproven male when there are hundreds of highly titled, tested and proven studs to choose from? And without a quality bitch, no matter how strong of a producer your male may be himself, one cannot have a quality litter of quality puppies.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I am sorry but is there not enough qualified breeders out there, enough GSD's that need homes, enough backyard breeders, and puppy mills ...... pick of the litter for a quality pup is like getting money IMO. Instead of getting Stud Fees you get a pup ...
a pup that if is of any quality could fetch hundreds of dollars so technically you are getting money .... in order to get one pup, four or six have to be born .... What if the female turns on your male you could end up with vet bills... an offspring from a GSD or any other breed that you have loved is so great to have, but it can be selfish too...
Please do not take it as I am calling you selfish I am not..... Just think it through real hard before you stud out....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all the wise input. I'm waiting to have my dog OFA certified, and I will not be showing my dog although he has all potential to be a great show dog. Now regarding temperament, when I say perfect temperament I really mean it. I have never heard him growl or have aggressive tendencies towards any human, he is very social with all dogs. Fulfills all his commands and duties. Protects the home and listens carefully. We had a dog trainer who usto also train police dogs and he said my dog would be a perfect candidate for police work or search and rescue. My family has had German shepherds in our lives for many many generations. This being my second, and I am pleased to say Kai is the perfect assortment of strength, mind, and temperament. The best dog my family has ever been with. By looks he's almost an exact copy of ilbo vom holtkamper see. The reason I want to mate my male, is because more dedicated German shepherd lovers want a puppy from my dog. Now I have sent all my friends to dirk from osterbergland. Most say they want a puppy from kai due to his looks, temperament and energy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, I would have gone to my breeder but he lives in germany. When he sent me the puppy he said, "I sent you one of the best two puppies in the litter, he is too young to tell if he will be a champion show dog but I believe he will be a great show dog by looking at him now." I sent pictures to dirk when he turned one and he was amazed at how great my dog looked and said you now have serious show dog.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not here to argue, I would like for a recognized breeder to look at my dog and decide for him/her self if my dog would be perfect. Thats all.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I'm very much down to earth. If my dog even had one reason not to be bred, I wouldn't even think about it and have him neutered.
But so far there are no reasons FOR him to be bred. No OFA or a-stamp, no title, no show cards or breed survey. No proof or evidence of correct conformation, healthy joints, correct temperament and drives.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If my dog even had one reason not to be bred, I wouldn't even think about it and have him neutered.
You are lying through your teeth. There are thousands of GSD's that have "perfect temperament" but are titled and health checked.

What makes your dog more special than the SchH3 dog in my club that loves kids and is almost golden retriever sociable but can be instantly protective?

The only person you are going to find is a BYB. Go spend some time learning about GSD's, title him in something, then think about it.

And the issue for me is you are doing this for very selfish reasons. If you truly loved the GSD breed then you would see how what you are asking is harmful. The SchH3 I mentioned above? The one in which the owner has taken years to title and work with? He refuses to breed it because he says there are better shepherds out there. He loves his dog but unlike you he also cares about the breed as a whole.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Also I would bet Ilbo is still breeding. Why not get another puppy by him out of a dam of the same lines as your male's dam? You'll get something a lot closer to your male than breeding a poor quality female to him trying to get a puppy like him.

The breeder sending you a nice show puppy and a dog trainer liking him is not a substitute for years of work training, conditioning, and titling the dog. This sort of breeding is what underminds the entire process. People expect to buy nice puppies from Germany out of parents that have high show ratings and titles, and think they can be overnight experts and good breeders without having to do the same?

·
Super Moderator
32,585 Posts
If my dog even had one reason not to be bred, I wouldn't even think about it and have him neutered.
What would you consider a valid reason not to breed? There are usually numerous reasons why any particular dog should not be bred, but I suspect that you wouldn't care about most of them because it sounds like you've already got your mind made up. :shrug: No decent breeder is going to simply look at your dog and tell you if he should be bred. For one thing, the best way to know if he truly does have the potential to be a "great show dog" is to actually SHOW him. (BTW, Chris Wild IS an experienced breeder, did you read her post?)

Just this week I got yet another "it's a shame" comment about my dogs being speutered, as if there aren't enough GSDs being bred without my two adding to the gene pool. Yes, they're "good" dogs, yes, they're beautiful, yes, they're smart. But so what? The breed isn't going to disappear or even suffer if I choose not to become a BYBer.

·
2,967 Posts
But so far there are no reasons FOR him to be bred. No OFA or a-stamp, no title, no show cards or breed survey. No proof or evidence of correct conformation, healthy joints, correct temperament and drives.
Agree.
Stud dogs are a dime a dozen. People with quality females want males with paperwork because it makes them easier to sell and advertise. Believe me I know. I have a stud dog that has ALL the paperwork and titles as well as exemplary temperament and no one's beating down my door to use him. Why?? Because he's not current.

Most breeders with females will usually go one of 2 routes-
1. They use a male that they already own.
2. They go to a high achieving male in their region, or even further. Agree with what Lies said- Why would someone who wants your dog's bloodline use your male with no titles, breed survey etc. if Dad is still producing?

Consider it from the bitch owner's prospective. And if you can't take it to a quality bitch...well then it really doesn't matter how good your male is. The bitch is arguably a bigger influence on the pups.

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
Not the popular bloodlines. I have had that problem with my dogs too. My American show line dogs are older bloodlines that no one is interested in anymore, even though they were top winning and performing dogs. Oh, well.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Not the popular bloodlines. I have had that problem with my dogs too. My American show line dogs are older bloodlines that no one is interested in anymore, even though they were top winning and performing dogs. Oh, well.
You can send me one of your 'out of date' bloodlined pups any day!!! ;)

1 - 20 of 133 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.