German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He is purebreed with all akc paperwork . Great bloodline . He is Czech doesnt appear to have any american bloodline . He is 2 years and four months old . Would prefer an all black female i do want one from the litter is why . Willing to stud or make other arrangements on the litter . I am new too this and have never done it . Thanks Troy

·
Registered
954 Posts
LOL- yeah this isn't going to be good.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok

I thought it would be a good place but thats not the only reason im on here im looking for locals groups that get togther and train socialize and things . Maybe ill just get a all black gsd from a respectable breeder as i did him .

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Hi Troy! Welcome to the forum! You'll find a lot of great information on here regarding breeding your dog. Hope it helps!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Do you have your dog's OFA hip scores and Schutzhund titles ready to show to the owner of any prospective females?

Not familar with that just getting started . I have everything from akc paperwork and reg. to every reciept from the vet .

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Might want to post an introduction in the intros area. . .lots of people on here in Oklahoma and some might be interested in getting together for training and socialization. Welcome by the way!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
One of the monitors here on the site can help you with a link in the forum that shows what do look for in a good breeder. I'm tech-o challenged and can't figure it out. But that would be a great place to start!

There are also many members here from OK and I'm sure they can help hook you up with some local clubs.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Not familar with that just getting started . I have everything from akc paperwork and reg. to every reciept from the vet .
Yeah, if you are serious about wanting to breed your dog you'll want to go ahead and get his hips certified free of dysplasia and probably elbows too. . . in a breed like this with so many joint problems it's really irresponsible to breed without those clearances. If you want to attract a really good female you'll want to get him titled in something . Again, this breed has so many temperament problems that people are looking for "proof" that your dog has a strong, stable temperament in the form of titles.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! You should probably start in the breeding section and see what is required of a responsible breeder. There is a lot more involved than just having AKC registration.

And feel free to post pics of your guy. We LOVE pics!!

·
5,627 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It'd be great if you posted an introduction and told us more about yourself and your dog. :)

Here are two threads to start with if you are interested in becoming a breeder.

This thread is what makes a breeder responsible/reputable.
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/137533-things-look-responsible-breeder.html

This thread is just one example of what can go wrong while whelping a litter.
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/thinking-about-becoming-breeder/149422-so-you-want-breeder.html

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Thanks Jamie!

·
Premium Member
11,174 Posts
OK- welcome Troy!

Breeding dogs is not just throwing them together and hoping! You may have a very nice male, and need to get some health clearances and let other GSD people see him so that you may find someone who likes him enough and wants to breed to him....

I get approached all the time by owners of male dogs who want a pup out of their male. Without going into the dynamics of breeding, raising and nuturing a litter....I will tell you I will not give a puppy up for a stud fee...it is not cost effective...I will sell a pup to the owner of a male at a discounted price tho.

When some one wants to breed their male to my females, at this point I want to see the following:

Hip and elbow certifications

DM certification

Proof of breedworthiness in the form of titles in schutzhund, or certifications by nationally recognized SAR or Police organizations; KKL if schutzhund or statement of owner of intent to koer

Data on production if previously bred - health of pups & any credentials - maybe meeting pups from the male

Proof of fertility on the male within 2 weeks of breeding and clean bill of health

This is after I decide if the pedigrees work, and then learning all I can about the temperament and working qualities of the male.

The owners of the females choose the males they are going to breed to - it behooves anyone with a male who wants to breed it to make that male as attractive as possible to the owner of a desireable female....

Hope this helps your understanding of the process breeders go through to choose a stud for their female.

Lee

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I'm sure there are breeders that can help you with the procedure... but these are very important things if you want to breed your dog. There are thousands of GSDs (purebred!) dying in shelters across the world and therefore it's important to be VERY selective when you breed. You know the puppy you want to keep will have a good home... but what about the rest of the litter? How can you guarantee that the new owners don't get tired of them and dump them in shelters to die?

OFA is an organization where you send in special x-rays from your vet so they can certify whether your dog has hips and elbows that are good enough for breeding. Hip and elbow dysplasia is a very serious, genetic condition so it's VERY important to get these tests done. They are expensive, but again, vitally important. I'm sure you want to make sure that your dog's progeny doesn't end up with crippling illnesses! There are similar test that can be done for other genetic conditions (eyes, thyroid, etc.).

You also want to make sure your dog has been judged by an outside, neutral party of something worthy of passing on to a litter of pups. This includes confirmation and working titles (SchH). We all love our dogs... and we all feel they have something worth passing on to another generation, so it is important to get that impartial judgement since our own is so clouded with love for our dogs.

I hope this helps... and really it's just the tip of the iceberg. I hope you hang around the forum... it really is a great place to learn and to share about the GSD. (I'd love to see pics of your dog!).

·
Registered
27,228 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you all very much and for the welcome to the site . I did the intro and apoligize i didnt do it first . new to all this .

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
Welcome Troy! I've been a member for years and never did do an introduction. LOL!

Would LOVE to see pictures of your boy. We all love pictures.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts