German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am very new to this German Shepherd community and everything that goes into GSD breeding. There is a lot of language that various breeders use that I don't fully understand like "KKL bred in Germany to Lando von den Klosterspatzen Sch3" and "IPO3". It would be great if someone could give me a better understanding of what this all means for the dog. Should I be getting too caught up with bloodlines or is that just for "luxury Litters" as I have seen on various websites?

I am really just looking for advice on where to start this entire process.

I am currently a single man looking for a female GSD that will be my companion. I work in the bar industry which gives me a unique opportunity to spend a lot of the day time training and playing with her. I am very active and looking for a pup to take on runs, hikes, and camping trips. I do not plan on showing or training for home defense I just want a great family friendly companion.

For someone with my needs what would you recommend me to look for in a breeder/puppy? This whole GSD world can be a little intimidating at first, but I just want to make sure I find the right German Shepherd for my needs.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,282 Posts
So here is my 2 cents. Don't overthink this. At the end of the day it's a dog. There is nothing about a German Shepherd that cannot be solved with common sense.
That said, the breed has some health issues and more and more temperament problems are popping up. Do yourself a favor and find a reputable breeder. The extra money you may spend up front can save you thousands. And a ton of heartache.
If you stick around here, in between bickering and loosing our minds there is a ton of info to be had. If we know roughly what area you are in you can probably get some solid leads on breeders in your area.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Here's a pretty decent link to help you understand pedigree abbreviations and titles:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So here is my 2 cents. Don't overthink this. At the end of the day it's a dog. There is nothing about a German Shepherd that cannot be solved with common sense.
That said, the breed has some health issues and more and more temperament problems are popping up. Do yourself a favor and find a reputable breeder. The extra money you may spend up front can save you thousands. And a ton of heartache.
If you stick around here, in between bickering and loosing our minds there is a ton of info to be had. If we know roughly what area you are in you can probably get some solid leads on breeders in your area.
I appreciate the advice on the reputable breeder, as I was still debating spending the extra money. That's gotta be the route I take thing. I am located in central Illinois, anyone know any reputable breeders in the Illinois area?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Awesome litter on the ground from vom quellwasser. Females avail. Excellent beeeder located in Indiana. z Diehlomov Mike Diehl located in Indianapolis also as a litter on the ground. Excellent breeder. These are workinglines.
Kavanaugh German Shepherds are in IL excellent showline breeder. Not sure if she has a litter now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts