German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi what are some check lists to do before bringing a pup are possible adult dog to new home.In my case I probably have to travel two hours to see breeders unless I see a GSD at pounds etc. Thanks for any experience on this question.
oj

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
My boyfriend and I were first time dog owners before getting our current 8 month old puppy. To get preparded we just googled... a lot. How to pick a puppy, crate training, potty training, establishing yourself as leader, basic obedience, puppy proofing your house, differences between the temperment of the sexes, etc. Anything and everything I could find relating to puppies and it paid off. By the time we got Jerzey to the vet we already knew all of the advice she was trying to give us. You could even go to a book store and look through the books for ideas (if you do not want to have to buy one.) We was able to take all that advice and tailor it to work best for us and our puppy.

Our car ride to our puppy was a little over two hours as well (although it was nearly an hour longer on the way back.) We stopped whenever the puppy woke up and starting being a little active to see if she had to go to the bathroom.

I hope that this helps a bit. I'm not expert but this is just what we did.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
Hi! You will get tons of good advice here.
Even just browsing you can find tons of good info
There was a recent thread on checklists, I think. I will look for it.

anyway, I do not know if you have heard of this rescue, but I know of it through a friend, it is a BC GSD rescue. They might be able to help you in your search for a GSD that would fit your family.

Good Luck!

http://www.gsrbc.com/

·
Registered
654 Posts
Not sure where you are located in BC but I second German Shepherd Rescue of BC if you are considering adopting - they are located in the lower mainland and they know the dogs in their care very well (personalities, health etc).

Like anywhere, as you likely already know, there are many poor GSD breeders in BC, so doing your homework if you are thinking of going the breeder route is critical to do.

Regards and good for you for starting to ask questions and seeking advice!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks Nicole,I will check,I may live fairly close to them.I'm glad came across this forum first before the final decision

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
LOL i second fransheska's POST PICTURES!

hang out and browse the puppy threads. lots of good advice, including what to bring in the car when you finally pick up your bugger. we drove 6 hours to get riley and the ride home was easy-peasy (thankfully)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts