German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says im looking at getting Fur Saver collars for my Zoey and Gunnar and would like if you guys could post some photos with your dogs wearing them so I can see how they look and the proper fitment as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
Fur savers should be used for training only...and not worn as a tag holder. And really because they aren't great as a correction type collar, should be on a dead ring when hooked to a leash.
If it fits over the dogs head and ears, it is a good fit. Then if it looks loose or hangs too low, back clip a couple of the links where you attach the leash so it can't slip back over the head easily while training.
Karlo has a fairly large head so he wears a 27", but from what I see most GSD's wear a 23" on average.
Karlo also has thick coat, so you really can't see the fursaver when he's wearing it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, I didnt know that. I really like the way the fur savers look on them compared to regular collars. I bought a 21" for Zoey a while back and its just was to big for her. I also tried it on Gunnar and it seams a little to big for him to. 27" would be like 2 of their heads lol I wish I could meet Karlo so I could see how big he is!

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
Here are a couple few of Karlo, he does have a thick neck(and head!)
This was at two yrs old:

3yrs:

4 yrs:

·
Registered
359 Posts
We use our Fursaver as both a training collar and an everyday wear collar (only when we go out, otherwise she doesn't have a collar on) when we're just going on a walk or out and about near the house. If we're going swimming or further from home, Discoe has a flat biothane collar for tags and it also has a plate with my information etched on it.

She wears a 21" medium Sprenger Fursaver...it's hard to see not only because her hair tends to swallow it up, but also because it's bronze and blends in with her coat, but you can see the ring just slightly in this photo, down and to the right of her chin. The break that you can see on her outline is where the collar sits.

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
The only time I use a fursaver is for tracking. It is the collar I will trial him with. I also use it when giving the dogs a bath....other than that, it sits in my equipment tote.

I like a rolled leather collar combined with a prong when I train in ob and protection. The rolled leather is easier on my hands and his coat if I have to restrain him. I've had my fingers get caught in the links of the fursaver, and it hurts bigtime!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I think we've done most everything we've done in our Fursaver (except the CGC, and we won't be able to do the TDI in it, either, since they require flats), though I wouldn't be opposed to using her biothane...it is a really nice collar (and very, very green...lol)
I have gotten fingers pinched in the Fursaver once or twice, though not recently. I think it's because I went to the heavier link, which I can't fit my fingers inbetween too well. I have cracked a finger hooking it into the ring on the collar, though. No problems since I switched to a tab (which is really just one of those Coastal nylon keychain toggles) for the live-ring on my Fursaver and also on the prong..I never thought of using the rolled leather, though. We do have one of those, too, though I can't think of the last time I've used it.

I think I just like collars...lol. You'd swear I had eleven dogs...a biothane flat, two nylon flats, a rolled leather, a prong, a Fursaver, a nylon slip, a leather-chain combo show collar, a braided leather show collar, a nylon Martingale and a braided nylon slip leash-collar combo. But the Fursaver is by far one of my favorites. Maybe because it was the first REAL collar I ever bought, back at the Sieger Show in 2008.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, your dogs are both great looking. I love Karlos coat. Well from what you guys are talking about it looks like I dont need a fur Saver. When we are home neither dogs have collars on and when we go the the park we use the ruffwear headwater collar.

Ive been wanting a good rolled leather collar as well but i cant seam to find one except at like petco and i dont like the quality. Do you have any recommendations on where to get two of them for a decent price.

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
Are there any big trials or events in your area soon? Vendors usually have nice stuff for reasonable prices. I like the Circle T(Coastal) rolled leather.
That said, I ordered one from Gutwein K9. I saw their booth at a couple events and like the quality of the leather goods. But the Circle T is really good, Chow Hound store carries that one. Good leather isn't cheap/lasts forever. I also like the Biothane collars, I think you could get a rolled one.... I remember a thread on it a year or two ago?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Thank you very much :D Discoe appreciates the compliment.
Do you have any little 'mom n pop' pet supply stores or feed stores near you? Even a pet boutique, as much as they seem to be going out of style, at least around here. Depending, they can tend to have a bit of a different or even better selection of products than your big box, corporate stores like Petco and Petsmart. And the one near me will even special order product if they don't have it in-store, as long as you can show them what it is that you're looking for.
Ours is one of the regular Circle T rolled leathers (pink, no less...lol). I know there are other brands, though, which is why I suggest a smaller pet supply or feed store, or even online.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are there any big trials or events in your area soon? Vendors usually have nice stuff for reasonable prices. I like the Circle T(Coastal) rolled leather.
That said, I ordered one from Gutwein K9. I saw their booth at a couple events and like the quality of the leather goods. But the Circle T is really good, Chow Hound store carries that one. Good leather isn't cheap/lasts forever. I also like the Biothane collars, I think you could get a rolled one.... I remember a thread on it a year or two ago?
Im not sure.....how would i find out??

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you very much :D Discoe appreciates the compliment.
Do you have any little 'mom n pop' pet supply stores or feed stores near you? Even a pet boutique, as much as they seem to be going out of style, at least around here. Depending, they can tend to have a bit of a different or even better selection of products than your big box, corporate stores like Petco and Petsmart. And the one near me will even special order product if they don't have it in-store, as long as you can show them what it is that you're looking for.
Ours is one of the regular Circle T rolled leathers (pink, no less...lol). I know there are other brands, though, which is why I suggest a smaller pet supply or feed store, or even online.
That's a good idea, I never thought about that. There are a few mom and pop pet stores around here and even a couple boutique stores as well. I'll have to check them out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts