German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current service dog is heading on 7 years old and I need to start thinking about a puppy. My past two have been rottweilers (working dog lines) but this time around I would like to go with a gsd because they are more biddable and I am getting older. I am located in NC. I would love to find someone close enough to visit and get to know but I'm willing to fly in a puppy from a breeder who can be trusted.
Would you guys be kind enough to suggest a few kennels I could start with? I have been looking on and off for two years but haven't found anything or anyone I feel comfortable with and I just honestly need some recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
P.s.

One kennel I am looking at is Mittlewest. Has anyone ever acquired a dog from them? Or can you share any experiences with dogs from their kennel? Thank you

·
Super Moderator
18,681 Posts
I have never met the Mittlewest owner. She breeds a lot and has produced a lot of good dogs and some not as good. Many happy owners and some not so happy. Very common for a large breeder. You will pay a significant amount of money for one of her puppies.

Have you looked at Blackthorn Kennels in VA? Her website is not updated, but she has a big presence on FB. Christine Kemper. Many years of experience.
Welcome to Blackthorn Working German Shepherds

Wildhaus kennels in MI. You will have to get on a waiting list, probably, but another very experienced breeder.
(Wildhaus Kennels, Working German Shepherd Breeder in Michigan)

·
Registered
937 Posts
I would stay very far from mittelwest. I knew the owner and that’s all I’m going to say. I’ve seen numerous dogs from her breedings and temperament and health can be a big issue. Her prices are insane. 3500-4000 for a puppy

·
Premium Member
11,175 Posts
Blackthorne is breeding for a versatile middle of the road dog with decent structure and looks...she has several litters a year and for what you need, I think you will not need to go much further

Lee

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I am partial to a West German style of dog. I am looking at My BodyGuard kennels. They have a lot of dogs that I find appealing (in looks). They are farther away than I want, but if the dogs are worth it, I'm willing to go.
There is a kennel almost in my back yard, West German shepherds. I might look into them as well. Any input on either kennel is welcome.

I did talk to Mittlewest. Well at least I tried to talk to them. The person who answered the phone might have been having a bad day, but they made me feel like I was a nuisance for asking about their puppies. If I'm paying that much for a puppy I'd at least like a more welcoming demeanor. So I scratched them off my list.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts