German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I am new to the forum and new to the area (Northern Virginia).

I am looking for a working line shepherd but would prefer one with the black and tan/red saddle back coloring. I have been looking on line and so far have only come across Haus Juris which appears to be West German show lines. Their dogs look beautiful but as I said my preference is working line.

I would love to receive any recommendations or thoughts you may have on breeders please whether its here in this thread or private message.

·
Registered
32,417 Posts
What you are describing is a WGSL.

You can get a bi-color, a saddle back or blanket back as a working line but the color will be more tan.

Vom Evolution in PA has bi-colors in a litter available. Stellar litter. Both parents have great temperaments and working ability.
Nikki Banfield - Dog Trainer & Working Line German Shepherd Breeder

Carolyn just had a nice breeding. Not sure if any puppies are left but looks like some black/tans in there
https://www.facebook.com/vomHochlandGermanShepherds/

Warkonhaus in PA has black/tan and bi-color litters. None right now but I love her dogs.
Home

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Jax08. Would be the saddle back I am looking for. I will look at those links you sent to me.

Thank you again, appreciate your reply

·
Registered
32,417 Posts
Yes, you are looking for a saddle back. They aren't very common in working line though. Mostly you'll see the blanket backs. You could find a patterned sable with a saddle.

Why do you prefer working line? Any particular reason?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, you are looking for a saddle back. They aren't very common in working line though. Mostly you'll see the blanket backs. You could find a patterned sable with a saddle.

I really prefer the look/ physical build to them. Don't really like the slopped back on the show lines. Also I hear the drive on the WL is higher and they are better for sports, agility and I have been told rightly or wrongly that WL is more protective of their home.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I really prefer the look/ physical build to them. Don't really like the slopped back on the show lines. Also I hear the drive on the WL is higher and they are better for sports, agility and I have been told rightly or wrongly that WL is more protective of their home.

·
Premium Member
11,316 Posts
Contact Chris Kemper at Blackthorne, she is in VA and has working lines that are moderate and should suit you. You won't get the showline look of the black and red with saddle (and many of htose fade anyway!) but she does have black and tan females.

Lee

Reactions: mnm

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Contact Chris Kemper at Blackthorne, she is in VA and has working lines that are moderate and should suit you. You won't get the showline look of the black and red with saddle (and many of htose fade anyway!) but she does have black and tan females.

Lee
Thank you. I will look her up.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I've seen some patterned sables that resemble the typical Black and Tan coloring (imop), not exact and not red, but in a 20/20-ish kind of way.

·
Registered
32,417 Posts
Yup yup and yup :)

But you need to look for balanced drives. Not higher drive. Many show lines I know are high in prey but low in aggression. Working line pivot better than show lines (WGSL) because of their structure so are more agile.

As far as protecting the home....welll...my WL would help load their car for a steak but get to close to me personally and you have an issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup yup and yup :)

But you need to look for balanced drives. Not higher drive. Many show lines I know are high in prey but low in aggression. Working line pivot better than show lines (WGSL) because of their structure so are more agile.

As far as protecting the home....welll...my WL would help load their car for a steak but get to close to me personally and you have an issue.
All great information, thank you very much.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Chris Kemper at Blackthorne just had a litter a few days ago, 4 males. I believe there is one black/tan, not sure if he is saddle back or not. There is a black and 2 sables.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chris Kemper at Blackthorne just had a litter a few days ago, 4 males. I believe there is one black/tan, not sure if he is saddle back or not. There is a black and 2 sables.
Thank you. She seems to get quite a few positive comments on this site.

Does anyone know about Haus Juris? On their website they say they "breed top German bloodlines to produce German Shepherd dogs that will be superior for Sport Dog, AKC, Agility, Search and Rescue, Police".

·
Registered
855 Posts
Does anyone know about Haus Juris? On their website they say they "breed top German bloodlines to produce German Shepherd dogs that will be superior for Sport Dog, AKC, Agility, Search and Rescue, Police".
I can't tell you anything about the breeder or their dogs, but if you want working lines, they aren't it. Their dogs are West German Show Line from what I see on their website.

·
Registered
32,417 Posts
Well, the whole straight back tag line for selling point is annoying. But she is staying and doing DM testing. Ask her about titled dogs in AKC, herding, SAR, therapy. That should give you an idea of temperament. Also ask about dogs in her lines thst have bloated or died from hemangio. Both have genetic components.

Not my cup of tea but not riddled with red flags either.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Those are Show lines... Nothing special there, other than the key wording used for advertising.

·
Registered
32,417 Posts
Well, the whole straight back tag line for selling point is annoying. But she is xraying and doing DM testing. Ask her about titled dogs in AKC, herding, SAR, therapy. That should give you an idea of temperament. Also ask about dogs in her lines thst have bloated or died from hemangio. Both have genetic components.

Not my cup of tea but not riddled with red flags either.
Fixed autocorrect that hosed my sentence.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I see working police K9s fairly often that have the black-red saddle coloring, but the build and obviously the drive of a working line. I have no idea what breeders they are out of, but they seem to get the job done nicely. Just mentioning this, because it seems like it is possible to get a working line with the coloring you are looking for- and I have to admit, that's the coloring I'd also want if I got a GSD pup.

·
Premium Member
11,316 Posts
Thank you. She seems to get quite a few positive comments on this site.

Show lines that are bred to win in conformation as their top priority.

I have never seen anything with this kennel name that would lead me to believe it could do SAR, Agility, law enforcement as anything more than a token effort.....you have aspirations to show in conformation - sure....anything else, keep looking

Lee

Reactions: mnm and gsdsteve
1 - 20 of 20 Posts