German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to teach my GSD, Kali, how to bark and hold on command... But I can't even figure out what "triggers" her to even bark! I try to use her different toys and treats, I can't seem to get a peep out of her... the only thing that gets her going, is when a she hears strange noises from outside. Any tips on how I can get her to be more vocal? :confused:

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Have you tried someone ringing the doorbell or knocking on the door? When the doorbell rings you can say something like 'who's that?' to the dog and get him excited enough to bark, then praise him.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...

I'll try that! It's usually just her and I (i live alone) throughout the week. I'll try to make some training time on the weekends, when friends come over.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I taught Max to bark on command by playing Youtube videos of dogs barking and telling him "bark" along with it. It was so cute--at first when he learned it he would keep looking toward the window as if to say "Is there something out there to bark at? Why are you making me bark?" Hehe

·
Registered
195 Posts
I haven't figured out triggers for mine yet either and actually have tried the YouTube thing....they just do the signature head tilt thing which is hilarious....and unfortunately the only one who barks at my doorbell or knocking, is the chihuahua. (youd'a thunk the shepherds would've got the idea from the chihuahua to bark when she does) But for now my "door alert" is the littlest one.
I'm working on finding other triggers though.....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hahaha... you can usually count on the lil' ones! Keep me posted if/when you find that "trigger", I would love to know your progress... and I'll do the same. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Be careful what you wish for! I have 3 vocal dogs now. Anything can be a trigger in my house. Best one "who's there" my older dog goes nuts. If the pup is barking in the backyard, I'll go out and she'll be looking at who knows what and barking.
We used to howl to teach the dogs to howl, not this pup, she loves to howl and at least 1x a night she will start off the choir, usually something she heard on the tv and all 3 plus hubby chimes in. He thinks its hilarious I just look at him with the evil eye.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts