German Shepherds Forum banner

181 - 184 of 184 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,845 Posts
My Byrdie (shephard mix) hasn't been feeling well this week and I thought she had eaten something or it was just the heat. She wasn't acting herself this morning and her stomach was swollen so took her to vet. She has a mass on her spleen that ruptured. They pulled blood out of her abdomen. He said there is too much blood to operate now so she goes in Monday morning possibly for surgery depending on blood work results. If it's cancer and it's spread he said surgery wouldn't be an option. His hope is she absorbs some of the blood this weekend. She just turned 9. He said if she goes down hill this weekend it will be quick and there isn't anything they can do.
He said in the past he would do emergency surgery but most that have that much blood don't survive and the outcome would be better if we waited. We are home and she is pitiful and I am a mess.
Any thoughts or support would be so appre

this absolutely stinks. If she is going to pass away I hope she finds a comfortable sunny spot in the grass and simply goes to sleep quickly. It is easier on everyone than a long drawn out illness.

but better would be the miracle of her healing and you have a few more wonderful years together.

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
Sorry to hear this Sarah. This cancer takes so many, I've lost two to this disease. This thread scares me as my girls turned 8 this year.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Like Nigel, I've lost two to this disease as well. Two years ago, I lost Gunner, a confirmed biter, guardian of the family (he woke me up to tell me that my mother was dying) and all around Great Dog. I went to bed the night before and he was fine. Woke up the next morning to find that he was dying. Took him to the vet immediately so that he could pass more peacefully. It's a horrible disease.

I miss my little warrior every day.

Vale Gunner.

Aly

·
Registered
29 Posts
We lost our dog due to Hemangiosarcoma. He ha a spleen removed, and after 6 months he had all this metastasis all over his abdomen. We had to say goodbye at that point. Feel your pain. Once you feel ready, adopt another rescue. You sem like a wonderful person and pet parent!

181 - 184 of 184 Posts