German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little girl is getting spayed tomorrow morning and I get to pick her up Tuesday morning (adopted her Friday from Mich. Humane Society). I just got back from the pet store, and was getting helped out by one of their certified dog trainers regarding treats. I came home with a bag of Authority brand crunchy dog treats (I think they are something like berry and yogurt, look like little milk bones basically) and a big package that looks like a big sausage, by Pet Botanics, called Lamb and Brown Rice dinner. He said he cuts these up and uses them as treats for his dog obedience classes. He suggested staying away from treats like Milk Bones, as they have artificial fillers and such.

Will these treats be good for my 9.5 week old girl? I also bought a Puppy Kong (medium sized, but with the rubber that is treated for teething puppies), a 14" collar, and a rope toy with little tennis balls on it.

I really don't know much about puppy teeth and their durability, so I tried to be a little cautious. That's why the trainer recommended some soft treats (the pet botanics lamb sausage) along with the hard treats. I left the rawhide bones for now thinking they might be a little much for such a young puppy's teeth, I figured I would be able to come back on here and get some expert advice, haha!:p

Anyways, I appreciate any opinions/suggestions/criticisms I can get on these things, what else I might want to look into, etc.

Oh, another thing: dog crates...I have read that 42" and 48" have been suggested. At the pet store I was at, their X-Large crates (recommended for GSD's and other breeds) were only 36"...is that going to be big enough? My pup is not a purebred, but a little mix. Good chance something like a pitbull (stray from Detroit), so I assume she probably wont be quite as big as a PB GSD. She weighed 9.3 lbs at 9 weeks.:help:

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Jax loves her ruffwear egg toy. Bully sticks. Don't give any rawhides. Mother Hubbard treats are good. You can get them at most pet stores and tractor supply. Kongs and filling (peanut butter, yogurt, etc)

A 14" collar seems to large. Jax wears a 16".

If I were buying a new crate, I would get a 42" with a divider in it so you can adjust it as the puppy grows.

What kind of dog food did you get?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok great thanks, glad I made the right choice about the rawhides. If the collar is too big, I guess I can either return it or punch a new hole in it.

I was given a bag of Hills Science Diet Puppy Development dog food to start out with. Should I continue using this product, or is there something out there better for her?

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Science Diet is garbage. Look in the nutrition section for a good brand. I feed a RAW diet so I'm not much help in picking out a good kibble.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
just wanted to add, don't switch food over cold turkey, if she's been fed the Hills, I'd give her a week or so to acclimate to her new home and still feed her what she's been eating for that time...Gradually switch over with whatever you decide to go with. There are LOTS of good foods out there:)

Toys, another thing ,,get a plastic bottle (as in soda bottle water bottle), throw some treats in it, secure the top tightly, anytime I bring a puppy home, they end up saying to heck with the good toys I buy, and love playing/flipping those bottles around:))

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Jax loves soda/water bottles too. She's not to concerned on whether you are actually done drinking from them. :)

If she is on Hills, and not having problems, I wouldn't switch her until she is healed from her spay. A surgery is enough to go through without worrying about diarrhea from switching foods. That will give you plenty of time to research foods. :)

Diane - I always worried about Jax swallowing the cap. Was I just paranoid? LOL

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Rawhides are fine as long as you take away any small pieces that can be swallowed whole. Busy Bones by Pedigree are great, too, you'll need the XL size and they run about $4.99 at Wal-Mart. Soda/Water bottles are fine and fun as long as you take off the cap and labels.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I agree- no rawhide ever! Bully sticks and antlers are good, mine never liked the Kong or Nylabone. Favorite toys are frisbees or anything that squeaks, also the water bottle is a favorite. Read the forum on foods and gradually switch to something else. There are several good brands available that aren't outrageously expensive like Taste of the Wild, 4Health that you can get at Tractor Supply stores and Kirkland that's available at Costco. Look at www.petfoodanalysis.com.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont know what I'd do without this forum! Thanks everyone. The water bottle sounds like like a great idea..pets always seem to like things not made for them the most haha. Hearing these pups like deer antlers is the best news I've heard so far, we've got a never ending supply of those at my house:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts