German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had to face the sad reality that my current GSD isn't suitable for what I had hoped for us(SAR). She is the sweetest dog out there and is a wonderful therapy dog. She just doesn't have the mindset for the intense, heavy training we've started. So she'll be spayed & get to be a "house pet" for the rest of her life

So I'm now on the search for another prospect. I'm leaning towards an older pup, but not definate. I guess it depends on what I find out there.
So if anyone has any suggestions for responsible breeders, that breed with SAR type dogs in mind. I'd be greatful for the help. I would like to stay as close to Mi/Wi, if possible. Willing to look further if needed.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Best advice I got was to get a young adult with hips and elbows x-rayed - WYSIWYG - I could get a clear picture of his drives and temperament and a good dog is not going to be weirded out by the change. As is, my dog acquired that way is more bonded to me than my other dog I got as a puppy. Cost a little more than a puppy but I have been extremely delighted.

I have heard nothing but good things about Eurosport K9, but there are some WL breeders on the board in that area - may have a dog with the right drives but not the true natural aggression they are looking for or otherwise not fit into their breeding program.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I would think you should be looking at good workingline breeders. Their dogs have the temperament, health, and structure to work. Check out the breeder section and you will find a lot of them in your area.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Northwoods - are you already on a team? Sorry, I don't know but I could not find out with the search functionality.

If not you may want to do that before you even consider getting a new dog. Some teams have delays of up to a year before they will let a prospect bring in a new dog.

The only reason I ask is it is more common than not for someone to get a dog for SAR and THEN look for a team and most teams would rather have someone trained as a searcher first to make sure they are going to stick with it and possibly help them find the right dog.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
maybe talk to kleinen hain here on the board..I have a puppy out of her MAX who is SAR,,and a eurosport female who is narcotics certified..she also kept a male..these dogs have noses that won't quit and brains to boot :)))

good luck in your search
diane

·
Premium Member
11,132 Posts
I have been talking to a guy in California who has a small female (21 inches) who has great hunt drive and sounds like an ideal SAR prospect - well bred too...just too small for a breeding female by the standard...has some foundation work, no dog aggression.

Lee

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
The day I have the money and time to commit to a new pup, Eurosport is one of the first on my list, I even have their site bookmarked

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
just too small for a breeding female by the standard...has some foundation work, no dog aggression

This is exactly what someone needs to purchase, NOT a puppy especially a GSD. Sorry but true. pups are too much of a crap shoot and it is too long before you know what you are getting as far as drive for the work. Young adults are the best bet because what you see is what you get, I cannot tell you how many dogs have been brought to me that folks purchased as pups that I washed out in minutes. I have been breeding working dogs for 20years and even the best bred parents do not produce whole litters of dogs capable for the work and you cannot do enough evals on a pup to tell you what you will wind up with as an adult

·
Registered
145 Posts
Good luck with finding a dog. I failed out 39 dogs around the globe before finding my current dog.

Finding that 1% dog is a needle in a hay stack find.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Fidelco Guide Dog foundation has some dogs that are to "high drive" for guide work.
They do donate dogs to state police and rescue org.
These are generally dogs who have a great upbringing. You might try contacting them.
They're in Ct, and not real local, but I have seen very successful SAR dogs come from their kennel.

·
Premium Member
11,132 Posts
The young female is owned by a guy who is a helper, and has titled dogs. I believe he is going to sell her and would like to see her worked, she has a good OB and tracking foundation, good temperament. She is 20 inches tall, so would be a great size for SAR. I am not good on CA geography - maybe in Central CA??? Not far from SF or Sacramento I think.

Lee

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Originally Posted By: BJDimockFidelco Guide Dog foundation has some dogs that are to "high drive" for guide work.
They do donate dogs to state police and rescue org.
These are generally dogs who have a great upbringing. You might try contacting them.
They're in Ct, and not real local, but I have seen very successful SAR dogs come from their kennel.
I have a SAR acquaintance has has been involved directly with Fidelco for many years - I think that they have found such an outlet with the police [even for the females] that they are doing very few SAR outplacements any more. I could be wrong.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Lee, you are right a small GSD is a GREAT size for SAR. My female [another puppy story - great dog, had her to the level of certification when we got the crushing news of severe HD and had to retire her] is 50lbs and my current working male is only 70. We can easily fit a 36 inch crate which is a godsend for throwing dogs into various vehicles.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nancy,
I totally get where you are coming from. This isn't someting I've gotten into on a whim. I've done my homework & know what is involved.
I'm currently working with a local SAR group. I've also been able to work closely with one of the "retired" SAR trainer/handlers. So while there may be a short wait still, until I'm done with my training. I can still proceed with some training w/ a dog working with this trainer.
I would much prefer to start out with a older pup/younger adult. I'm just leary of getting a dog with "baggage". I've checked out a few "prospects" somewhat locally & man o man!! NOT IMPRESSED! I'm not sure where some people get their ideas(for training) from but I've come across a few messed up pups already.
Thank you for those that posted members & breeders. I'll be checking into those.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Ok, what I did when I got my dog was I was able to get him with a commitment I could return him in 30 days and get my money back. This was a private individual who had some exposure if he had messed me up because he has a successful business selling detector dog training supplies.

I had the seller checked out by some folks who knew him, had him take the dog [already OFA good] to a vet for back x-rays and bloodwork*, checked out the dog myself, then I had two independent K9 trailing / detector dog handlers [one recommended to me** by a NAPWDA master trainer and the other one highly respected in the SAR community] check the dog out objectively.

*The vet was impressed with overall health and temperamant - I then had my vet down here look at the x-rays
**The K9 handler, retired, told me he wanted the dog if I did not.

So, I guess the point is there are ways to check out young adults to ensure you are not getting any baggage. I am not sure how much baggage a really well bred dog with the right drives will bring- - - I think a really good dog is incredibly resilient. I know I can throw anything at this dog and he just takes it in stride.

I really would talk with Eurosport though - and other folks who have a good business supplying dogs for police departments. It is really a crushing blow to spend over almost 2 years training a dog to find out is has to be retired due to bad hips [and her litter ZW was 78]

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
adult. I'm just leary of getting a dog with "baggage". I've checked out a few "prospects" somewhat locally & man o man!! NOT IMPRESSED! I'm not sure where some people get their ideas(for training) from but I've come across a few messed up pups already.
We cops and military have been importing young adults for years. The problem you will run into here in the US is ,A, you are looking for a GSD for work which is hard to find and B yes, lots of US dogs have baggage. Unfortunately, if you would accept another breed you would have a much easier time

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Originally Posted By: northwoodsGSDI've had to face the sad reality that my current GSD isn't suitable for what I had hoped for us(SAR). She is the sweetest dog out there and is a wonderful therapy dog. She just doesn't have the mindset for the intense, heavy training we've started. So she'll be spayed & get to be a "house pet" for the rest of her life

So I'm now on the search for another prospect. I'm leaning towards an older pup, but not definate. I guess it depends on what I find out there.
So if anyone has any suggestions for responsible breeders, that breed with SAR type dogs in mind. I'd be greatful for the help. I would like to stay as close to Mi/Wi, if possible. Willing to look further if needed.
find a dog with a lot of prey drive...i mean off the wall prey drive...breaking into the house to get a ball...ripping a car door off to get a tennis ball..yea that kind of drive.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Nancy,
You could be correct. I just foster the guides. Mine have all become guides except one, due to a medical issue,(and home with me) so I don't have expirence with where they go if they're too high drive.
I would love to send you my new foster pup. Wish I could. I just got her as a third placement at 4 months old. She is extreamly high drive, with her nose in the air or on the ground, but will always check back with me. I'm going to have a handfull trying to redirect this one!
Try contacting Fidelco directly.
They might take intrest in your situation.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts