German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
I have a question for everyone out there. We live in the Barrie area and are looking to get a German Shepherd puppy for End of October/Early November. The dog will be strickly a family pet, not looking to show or train for guard(except our house, as his family).
Anyways, wondering if you can recommend a good breeder within the barrie and surrounding area.
We are searching on our own as well but would LOVE some input on favorites for family!!
Thank you

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
There are many qualified people here to assist you! A little info will help!

*Which "TYPE" of German Shepherd are you looking for? Show Line? ... Working Line? (see this page for "Types": (Types of German Shepherds, by Wildhaus Kennels ) )

*Have you had a GSD before?

*What type of lifestyle do you have that will include the dog? Sports? Hiking? etc

*Tell a little about yourself/your family!

*What is your price range? (usual is $1,600 to $3,000)

*You are in Barrie Canada? How far are you willing to travel (hours)?

*Are you willing to have a dog shipped?

Here are some good reading materials!
Things to look for in a 'Responsible' Breeder

http://www.germanshepherdguide.com/h...a-breeder.html

(German Shepherd and Schutzhund Articles, by Wildhaus Kennels )

Best of luck!
Moms :)

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I have no personal experience with this breeder, but I've seen a number of their dogs and puppies in videos, and have never heard anything but positive reviews. I know if I'd known about them before having gotten my current dog, I would definitely have contacted them first! And, they whelped a litter on August 11th...no telling if any puppies are left or what they might be suited for in terms of temperment without talking to them!

https://www.wendelinfarm.com

Wendelin Farm

73 Plains Creek road

Chapeau, QC J0X1M0

Tel: 819-689-5664

[email protected]

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Right in Carmen's neck of the woods. She should know what's going on around there. She is @carmspack here on the forum.
Someone one the forum also has a pup from von Tighe Haus which is near Ottawa.

It depends on what you are looking for though and any good breeder is going to want information on your situation, plans and experience.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I live close to Barrie...and the two breeders that come to mind that are close by are : Loretto Kennels - Home and German Shepherd Breeders Ontario | German Shepherd Puppies | German Shepherd Puppies For Sale
Both breeders have been around a long time. I have seen dogs from both kennels and they were nice...but you have to do your homework. Carissima are German Showlines. I used to know the the original owner of Carissima (Leo)...his daughter and son-in-law took over after a tragic accident.

Worth checking out.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Hello.
I have a question for everyone out there. We live in the Barrie area and are looking to get a German Shepherd puppy for End of October/Early November. The dog will be strickly a family pet, not looking to show or train for guard(except our house, as his family).
Anyways, wondering if you can recommend a good breeder within the barrie and surrounding area.
We are searching on our own as well but would LOVE some input on favorites for family!!
Thank you
I only read this post and have to ask..... WHERE/HOW/WHY, Would you think you could even find a quality/reputable breeder and get a puppy from them in such a short time.

I am hopefully getting a puppy mid December and I have been waiting for 1 year for that day to come.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Loretto Kennels and Carissima Kennels are two entirely different kennels, and are NOT affiliated in any way. One breeds American show line German shepherds (Loretto, Morris Bartucci) and the other breeds German show lines (Carissima, run by Leo Bellini's daughter.)

Their only connection is that Morris was renting the kennel facilities from the Bellini family after Leo died in a car crash. Then, Carissima decided they wanted to take the kennel over.

I'll let you use your imagination to fill in the blanks on that...

I am somewhat familiar with both kennels, if you are interested in either one. We have a Carissima dog in our club, and he is fairly high drive.

But first of all, what are you planning to do with the dog?

And yes, you are giving yourself an awfully short timeline for making a decision! I was MONTHS picking out my first registered dog, and even then, I made some mistakes in the process that I regret.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts