German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am in the process of adopting my first GSD (and I am so thrilled, I can't even begin to tell you!).

While I have all the basics covered, there are a few other things I'm interested in getting some specific recommendations for.

Life jacket
I go kayaking, and I'd love to bring my new canine buddy - my smaller dog is mostly retiring from the "big adventures".

Crate covers and/or soft crate
(with sports/training/trialing in mind)

Ball on a rope
I have a flat, leather, two-handled toy I'm planning to use for tugging and reinforcement, but would love to be able to move on to using a ball and rope at some point.

Also, maybe a tracking harness? Not an imminent want/need, but I do have interest in nosework &/or tracking at some point.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I use my soft sided crate for weekly classes since it is lighter weight, easy to carry and set up. I use my wire crate for trials since it offers more air flow and more room for an all day event.

I really like my soft crate. My boy is large (90lbs) and it is pretty sturdy. This is what I have but without the attached privacy flaps.
https://www.amazon.com/Noz2Noz-Soft...hvlocphy=21152&hvtargid=pla-314044232282&th=1

·
Super Moderator
4,967 Posts
For a life jacket I'd suggest the Float Coat by Ruffwear. Bass Pro Shop carries them so you can try them on your dog.

While I might bust open the purse strings for a good life vest, I go cheap with toys until I figure out what my dog likes. I found that using the Kong balls that have a hole all the way through, and tying a string to that, works very well. I did spend a good deal of money on a Top Flight ball and tug with magnets so that you can stick them to a training vest...then lost the dang expensive magnet that sticks to the vest! I see a number of people using the Nero ball. There is also a softer foam style ball that some dogs really like, don't remember the name.

For a tracking harness, I'd say borrow one or use an inexpensive walking harness until you decide if you and your dog enjoy the work.

I wouldn't use a soft sided crate personally. We went with Gunner Kennels for our truck. Expensive yes, but will last forever and have a fabulous guarantee. In our Prius we have a hammock style cover over the back seat and BreezeGuard screens in the back windows. We can lower the windows and the dogs are still secure. Not as safe in a crash as being in Kennels, but kennels don't fit in the back of a Prius.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use my soft sided crate for weekly classes since it is lighter weight, easy to carry and set up. I use my wire crate for trials since it offers more air flow and more room for an all day event.

I really like my soft crate. My boy is large (90lbs) and it is pretty sturdy. This is what I have but without the attached privacy flaps.
https://www.amazon.com/Noz2Noz-Soft...hvlocphy=21152&hvtargid=pla-314044232282&th=1
That soft crate looks nice, thank you for the suggestion! How you use your crates sounds pretty much like how I was planning to, glad to know it works well.

For a life jacket I'd suggest the Float Coat by Ruffwear. Bass Pro Shop carries them so you can try them on your dog.

While I might bust open the purse strings for a good life vest, I go cheap with toys until I figure out what my dog likes. I found that using the Kong balls that have a hole all the way through, and tying a string to that, works very well. I did spend a good deal of money on a Top Flight ball and tug with magnets so that you can stick them to a training vest...then lost the dang expensive magnet that sticks to the vest! I see a number of people using the Nero ball. There is also a softer foam style ball that some dogs really like, don't remember the name.

For a tracking harness, I'd say borrow one or use an inexpensive walking harness until you decide if you and your dog enjoy the work.

I wouldn't use a soft sided crate personally. We went with Gunner Kennels for our truck. Expensive yes, but will last forever and have a fabulous guarantee. In our Prius we have a hammock style cover over the back seat and BreezeGuard screens in the back windows. We can lower the windows and the dogs are still secure. Not as safe in a crash as being in Kennels, but kennels don't fit in the back of a Prius.
I've heard nothing but good about the float coat, so that's what I'll probably aim for.

Tough break with losing your magnet!! I do like the idea of a magnetic ball, so that's something I'll keep in mind.

The soft sided crate will be for on-site crating only, and generally only if I can directly supervise, since it doesn't offer much of a barrier for other dogs (either direction). I do love the seat cover I have in my sedan!

Thank you both for your suggestions. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts