German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you guys recommend a good company that manufactures really good dog nail clippers. Everything from Wal-mart or Canadian Tire seems crush the nail and is of too poor quality to do the trick.

I figure spending somewhere around $50-$70 would be fine, as long as the set will last a long time.

Similar quality to what a groomer would use is what I'm looking for.

I just need a good brand so that I can order online.

Thanks guys!

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
If you are near a pet store, they probably carry the kind that groomers use . They are a heavy duty steel and have a scissor-like operation. They shouldn't cost more than $10 and they last forever.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Throw out the clippers and get a Dremel grinder. It's much easier to use and you get a closer and neater trim.

·
Super Moderator
32,429 Posts
I agree with Elaine. You'd spend about half what you've budgeted on a good dremel - have you considered not using clippers at all? Here's a good link that describes how to dremel dog nails: How to Dremel Dog Nails @ DoberDawn.com

·
Registered
852 Posts
Honestly, I use my nail clippers. Can be a bit tricky since Dakota and Ditto's nails are quite thick, but I manage. It works pretty well. I have a pair of dog clippers somewhere but I haven't seen them in atleast 8 years

·
Super Moderator
6,033 Posts
I've used Resco nail clippers for years and years. The Millers Forge are good too, but I learned on a guillotine-style clipper like Resco, so I have a hard time with the scissor-type clippers. Just a matter of preference!

I usually clip nails, and then dremel.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i use a dremel. if you buy a dremel i suggest making
it fun for your dog before usuing it his nails. when my dog was in
puppy class they use to play with the dremel with the pups.
then we would take our pups and quickly touch a nail
with the dremel. at home when the pup was eating we use to rub
his body with the body of the dremel. once we started usuing the dremel there was no problem. now my dog will lay down and you can dremel away. everyday sometimes
several times a day we played with the dremel.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Throw out the clippers and get a Dremel grinder. It's much easier to use and you get a closer and neater trim.
Elaine is right. The dremel is so much easier, fast and really doesn't hurt the dog when done right. Can't hurt to try it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts