German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some extra money, and want to get Joey a really good orthopedic bed.

Not concerned about cost, just the most comfortable I can find.

Would welcome any opinions.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Haha - yup, Orvis would be the place to buy if money is no object! I do like high quality crib mattresses for large dogs, and place a nice blanket on top for dogs who like a blanket to burrow in. An added benefit is that the crib mattresses usually have a moisture repellent surface. For my pugs and Frenchies, they LOVE their memory foam pillows! I buy them at Walmart or Target, put a waterproof pillow cover and pillowcase on them, and they fit perfectly in their medium size dog crates - they go in their crates frequently for their naps, as we just leave the doors open. They absolutely love them. Haha - I wish I could afford a memory foam mattress for MY bed!

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Hans has a K & H Ortho bed in his crate at home. He loves it so much that if I give him a bone or toy to chew on, he goes back into his crate to do his chewing. It is several inches thick and has held up well. I think I bought it off of Amazon.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Consider how easy the cover is to remove, wash, and re-instate when you make your decision :)

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I have two orthopedic crib mattresses and they work great--the dogs love them and they are comfortable.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
I have two orthopedic crib mattresses and they work great--the dogs love them and they are comfortable.
I do too for mine also and they're a great size (40" long) and they're light weight AND you can get bottom sheets made to fit right!:) plus they're made to wipe down with a disinfectant. Plus- in the winter you can slip a wool blanket under the sheet for warmth and wool is hypoallergenic.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
This is Sting's bedroom bed from Drs. Foster & Smith. It is easy to wash since the cover can be removed. It is also reversible.

Drs. Foster & Smith Quilted Super Deluxe Dog Bed | DrsFosterSmith.com

This is his second indoor bed. I bought it from Leerburg. He prefers this one. It is easily transportable and the faux shearing is very soft but firm so it is easy for him to get up - cool in summer, warm in winter. I have it in the living room but move it to the kitchen when Sting is there and also at night in the bedroom, so he has a choice. He will often start on the Foster & Smith bed, then move sometime during the night to this bed. For cleanup, I do daily wipeovers with baby wipes which keeps it looking nice. It is machine washable.

Leerburg | Orthopedic Dog Bed

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I noticed the seniors I have had sometimes trip getting up on a bed the thickness of a crib mattress, which I like to use. So, for the smaller dogs, I use regular human memory foam pillows, which are easier for them to get onto. But what to use for a senior GSD?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up buying the large size Orvis bed. They said it was a good size for GSDs. When I got it, it looked too small. Has good support, but not a good value for the money.

·
Registered
62 Posts
In case you're still looking, I'd assume they're not necessarily the absolute best, but Costco actually sells some pretty good quality dog beds. I got both my dogs a ~6inch ortho bed that's about 36x40".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts