German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a DDR/Czech german shepherd male who is almost 2 yrs old. I was just hoping a couple dog/pedigree geeks could help me get as much info as possible on him and maybe give me an idea of what he'd be good for as far as training is concerned. I'm current co-owning him with a breeder and we do plan to stud him in the future. Hes mdr1 clear and dm clear, I've also done a color test to see what he carries, hes not quite old enough for hips yet, and he has a ppd training evaluation on Saturday. Not looking for anything specific, just any information you can give me based on his pedigree, thanks. Happy to answer any questions.
http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/german_shepherd_dog/dog.html?id=2635562-jax-von-mobley

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Since it has already been decided that your dog will be bred, I’d think his breeder would be the one to ask what he might be good at. Is there a goal for the breeding program? It’s hard to tell since there is no information about titles or working certifications given for the parents and grandparents of your dog. I’d say tracking and/or nosework/scent work are usually pretty safe bets. Most dogs enjoy those activities.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The pedigree can be a guide, but only by training the dog will you know if he is breed worthy. The dog doesn't necessarily even have to be titled, but he has to be trained in a variety of areas to determine his drives, nerves, agility, etc. It is telling that you have already planned to breed him but really know nothing about his abilities.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts