German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I was just about to comment on the same sex aggression. I had a female GSD (NOT dominant) and a female malamute, and the mal was very aggressive towards the GSD and had to be kept separated. They are quite instinctual dogs and not, I think, for the novice owner. I also fostered a male mal and he was goofy and lovable, but my female meant business. She was a very serious dog.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
I definitely agree that you should wait & educate yourself. Be very, very aware that just as GSDs are (or should be) biddable, ie they're imbued with genetic obedience, Malamutes (& Huskies) are the antithesis of 'genetic obedience'. They're fiecely independent & very much value their own judgment/opinions/decisions thank you very much. My Sibe was my heart & soul. I miss him to this day, 12 yrs after he passed, but when I was ready for another dog it occured to me that 1) I wanted a dog that was reliable off lead 2) I wanted that genetic biddability 3) I DIDN'T want the overwhelming urge to escape & roam that defines Huskies & Mals or 4) the out of control prey drive so prevalent in Huskies & Malamutes.

Know too, that Malamutes as a breed often tend towards dog aggression, especially same sex aggression, rank & dominance issues & are tough minded, quite willful characters. AWESOME dogs, imo, but often a lot to deal with. IF/when you're ready for a Malamute actively seek breeders whose dogs live well with other dogs, especially dogs like GSDs that can also have rank, dominance & same sex aggression issues. NEVER assume these issues won't arise, but select for breeders where the problems are less likely & less severe. Any breeder who tells you it's simply in how the dog is raised, FLEE. There is a strong genetic component & I wouldn't trust breeders that don't grasp that. Raise em right, absolutely, but success is sooo much easier with the right genetic material.

And posts like this one are why I love this forum.

·
Registered
909 Posts
OP, you might also consider fostering a Malamute if possible to get an idea what it is like to live with one. As RubyTuesday said, GSD and Malamute are two very different breeds.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
OP, you might also consider fostering a Malamute if possible to get an idea what it is like to live with one. As RubyTuesday said, GSD and Malamute are two very different breeds.
Yes That's a pretty good idea. But atm im just planning for far ahead. Im still deciding what breed to go next. It will be at least a year from now.

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
Yes That's a pretty good idea. But atm im just planning for far ahead. Im still deciding what breed to go next. It will be at least a year from now.
One year true but that's another way to get experiance! You could do rescue work also?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts