German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Safe-Guard, Worm-X, and Panacur are all OTC wormers that work very well and take care of all types of worms (tape,whip,round,hook,etc). I personally use Worm-X a few times a year and it has worked perfectly. However I've also used Safe-guard and Panacur in the past. Panacur used to be by prescription only but now you can purchase it online or at most Pet-supply or farm supply stores. You can help to prevent some worms by using a flea preventative like Frontline, also. It's always a good idea to use a monthly flea/tick preventative and a monthly heartworm preventative like Sentinel or Heartgard. I generally give my dog both on the first of the month, every month. Even if your pup is an indoor dog, she really should still receive preventative. Hope this helps some!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I do not de-worm unless my dogs has confirmed parasites. I test a stool sample once a year unless he's having issues that I think may be caused by parasites.

Commercial dewormers, if overused, can be quite harmful to your dog because they clean everything out of their digestive system, including the good stuff. There have been studies recently that show that you can't truly rebuild the good digestive flora and fauna and it is very important for the immune system overall.

Rafi cannot handle conventional dewormers (he gets diarrhea for months) so I use herbal products (again, only when necessary). The best ones out there are made by Amber TEchnologies.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Commercial dewormers, if overused, can be quite harmful to your dog because they clean everything out of their digestive system, including the good stuff. There have been studies recently that show that you can't truly rebuild the good digestive flora and fauna and it is very important for the immune system overall. .
Isn't this why they make probiotics for dogs? To help replenish the flora and fauna lost in situations like these? I'm not being condescending-I'm seriously asking!? ;)

·
Premium Member
4,793 Posts
My Holistic Veterinarian will not even sell Heartguard (heart worm preventive) with the wormer's in it. Her question......."WHY would you want to worm a dog every 4 to 6 weeks????" Just not good for them!

Malachi'sMama: Not a great percentage of the public even know about pro-biotics for dogs!:eek: Most Western Medicine Vets certainly don't promote it, so they wouldn't realize they should give it......then the gut goes to pot like BowWow says! 65% of diseases' begin in.....yep....the GUT!:)

Gsdemack: Does your dog HAVE parasite worms or are you asking if she should be on a parasite wormer all the time? Breeder's usually worm their puppies once or twice before placing them in homes but it is always good to take in a fecal to the vet to check after you get them and then at least 2 x per year. Just FYI, there are natural ways to get rid of worms. ;)

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
You live in Ireland. I have no idea what the prevalence of heartworm is in your area. But, if it is a problem, you should take that seriously. Talk to your vet.

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
food grade DE orally for parasites, though I don't think it is for HW prevention or treatment.

Diatomaceous Earth-Food Grade-The Natural Flea Control Powder You can get it at most farm supply stores

Following is Recommended Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth daily doses for Dogs and Cats
as an organic wormer - (complete worming can take up to a month to be safe).. Reported great results with sore and painful hips and joints, and even a fuller, healthier shiny coat as a reg. daily supplement.

Large Cats: 1 teaspoon Kittens :1/4 teaspoon Dogs 100 lbs + : 1-2 tablespoons
Dogs 50-100lbs: 1 tablespoon Dogs Under 50 lbs: 1 teaspoon Mini dogs: 1/2 teaspoon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts