German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I got our first AKC registered puppy a couple months ago from my uncle. I have her AKC pedigree certificate and was hoping someone could tell me a little more about her and what kind of GSDs are in her line. I looked at several of them from what I could find but I'm new to all of the abbreviations and whatnot. Also, I do not know the dogs, therefore, do not recognize any names like you guys might. Any info would be great. Thanks!

Missprints

And here is a picture of her I took today, she is 5 months old.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Very Beautiful girl you have there. Im no Pedigree expert ,but she most likely comes from a BYB. The online pedigree is incomplete. You can order her online research pedigree from the akc store for 10 bucks to get more info. After 3 generations there is really not much info on the database. She doesnt seem to be of a certain type either. If you fill in the missing info on the database or PM me a link to her research pedigree i will gladly fil it in on the database. It is possible that someone here may recognize the names. Don and Kendi are WGSL for sure.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Very Beautiful girl you have there. Im no Pedigree expert ,but she most likely comes from a BYB. The online pedigree is incomplete. You can order her online research pedigree from the akc store for 10 bucks to get more info. After 3 generations there is really not much info on the database. She doesnt seem to be of a certain type either. If you fill in the missing info on the database or PM me a link to her research pedigree i will gladly fil it in on the database. It is possible that someone here may recognize the names. Don and Kendi are WGSL for sure.
Thank you!

Is the online research pedigree you mention different than the pedigree certificate I got from the AKC already when I registered her?

And yes, I did notice it was incomplete, I filled in the first generations that are from my ped cert. I did see dogs all the way back to the 1870's on her father's side but I don't know anything more than what I saw about them.

What is WGSL? >.< I'm gonna guess and say West German Shepherd Line?

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Sorry... didn't go that far back. MHarrison's right... there is some German show lines in there. Though a lot of info is incomplete, all of the names within the immediate first 3 generations back all sound like American lines.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I were to buy the online research pedigree, do I buy it for my dog or one further back? My current ped cert is only 3 years but most of her father's info is there. It's her mother's that I'm missing so I'm not sure which dog's research ped I should buy? Or if it's even possible to buy another dog's ped.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'm thinking since the mother's info is incomplete, I could start by getting the research ped for the mother? Since the cert I have already shows 2 generations of her, if I get the 5 year ped then it will give me an extra 3 gens that I can add to the database and hope something comes up?

I think that's how it would work, please correct me if I'm wrong or if I don't make sense.

Also, it looks like a 5 year research ped is $17

·
Registered
371 Posts
You can get moms if you wish. That would probably be ok depending on how many dogs where breed as pets, but there is also missing info on dads side as well. If you really want to get in there you could go for both 5 gen pedigrees.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok. I got mom's side, 5 years, and I updated it to the database. Some of the names opened up a few. I'll look at the dad's and see what I can do for that one.

Of course I still don't know who they are so again, if anyone knows anything, I'd be grateful to hear!

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
The lines shown aren't American lines (not show lines). They're pet line.

Typical BYB pedigree. Cute pup.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Is there something less desirable about "typical backyard breeder pedigree"? I understand BYB is frowned upon due to the lack of health certs, titles, temperament flaws and many other things. However, my first GSD was clearly from a BYB who was sold to me when she was 4 weeks old when I was 22 years old and inexperienced. She has turned out to be a very well behaved, healthy and protective dog who is now almost 9 years old. Even with everything I've learned over the years in regards to the GSD, I would not trade her for anything.

I know you "take your chances" with the health and temperament of your dog when you buy from a BYB but that doesn't mean that all dogs from BYB are bad. For example, having both the sire and dam OFA certified for hips, elbows and other things, there is no guarantee the litter pups will have good hips, ect. Things like that have to be checked several generations back which would take decades to finally have a "breedable" dog. I feel the "shunning" if you will, already, just from hearing about the new pup being from a BYB.

She will be trained, loved and cared for as if she was considered a perfect specimen of the GSD. I've found that what you put into your dog (besides the initial price you pay) is what you get in return.

I hope I'm not coming across as defensive because I'm not, just wanted to speak my mind about the "BYB Pedigree". I'm not planning on breeding her, nor did I breed my first GSD but I was interested in knowing more about her.
Even though there are so many poor animals in the shelters as it is, it seems there is still a market for the typical BYB, simply because you can still obtain a valuable pet at a far more reasonable cost compared to the cost of others (which is probably for another thread so I'll stop there).

Anyway, thanks for the input thus far and I certainly welcome more! I'm still learning a great deal!

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
For example, having both the sire and dam OFA certified for hips, elbows and other things, there is no guarantee the litter pups will have good hips,
But that's not an excuse not to screen anyway

And I wasn't shunning, just stating facts. The fact is her pedigree is "pet lines", so there really isn't any real information for anybody to give you

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I understand, just thinking someone may recognize a name or know a little something. I know there are many knowledgeable people here.

I have read also that large breed dogs in general are susceptible to hip dysplasia, even if the lines are cleared, from things like over exercising them, doing sporting activities that go against their natural movement, excessive weight gain, etc.

In a perfect world where money is not an issue, I would do every test possible to ensure the best quality of life for my dogs. But we all know, this is far from a perfect world.

Since she has pet lines, maybe that will make her a better pet :p

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm also in the process of filling in the blanks. I see some show dogs with some titles in there. I just find it very interesting. Maybe I'm just bored. :p

·
Registered
3,266 Posts

100% right. You cannot reliably call this dog anything but out of American pet lines. She is just too far removed from distinguishable American show lines, German show lines, or any one of the working bloodlines. This is a pet breeding through and through - because none of these dogs have been exhibited in public venues, nobody can tell you anything about these dogs because it is very unlikely that anyone has firsthand contact or experience with little known pet line dogs.

Sasha is the result of a 2-2 half-sibling to half-sibling mating. Other than that, there is too much incomplete and missing information for anyone to tell you anything reliable about these dogs. You could get a certified AKC pedigree, but I doubt it will be worth it as you likely won't gain any new information.

Enjoy your dog and have fun with her. But do more research before getting the next one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Enjoy your dog and have fun with her. But do more research before getting the next one.
Just because I am asking for any information on her based on what is there, doesn't mean that I expected anything. I was curious. I need to do more research on the next one so I don't have to come here and ask, is that it? Or should I do more research to ensure I actually get a "quality" dog?

She's a companion and an addition to our family, regardless of her pedigree. Crappy or not. With love, training and investing in her, she will be a "quality" dog to me.

It's amazing to me that the more time I spend on this forum, the more I see unfair judgment towards dogs that do not have a recognizable/impressive lineage or some big story to tell of all of their accomplishments. Perhaps, I am judging the forum incorrectly but that has been my experience with a lot of what I've read so far..

My husband is a hunter and hunts mule deer and elk. With my first GSD (who is just a plain old "dog"), we took her out very young, maybe 6 months old the first time, with us on several hunts for mule deer. My husband was usually a few hundred yards in front of me and she would consistently go back and forth between us to ensure one or the other would not get lost. She was the only way I knew where to find him and follow. When passing livestock or packs of javelina, she was very aware yet not nervous or overly concerned (didn't bark or growl) as they were not a threat to us. That is just one example of an exceptional dog that showed very natural and desirable behavior from an early age with no training whatsoever. Do I have an award for that to hang on my wall? No, but I do have many awesome memories with her doing things like that and a bond built from a strong relationship based on loyalty and trust. To me, she has proven herself to be of sound quality, even though she's technically not a "quality bred GSD".

As always, thank you for your input.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I don't know anything about pedigrees. We have our Tessa to be part of our family, and to travel with us. Love your description of your last GSD, just like Tess, on hiking trips she continually checks in with both of us if we separate. She would much prefer for us to always be together...:) Your new pup is so cute...have fun with her, sounds like you will.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
I'm amazed that people come on here look g for pedigree info on their pet dog, then get offended when very knowledgeable people say there is no info to be gleaned because they are pet lines. It's not judgement, it's not negative, it's a fact. She sounds like an AWESOME dog. I think all qb was saying in saying "do more research next time" is that if you're interested in pedigrees etc, learn about what goes into them, etc, because pet lines are a total crap shoot in terms of knowing exactly who came from where.

Nobody here has said a single negative thing about your dog, only how gorgeous she is. All they have commented on is what YOU asked for in terms of her pedigree. No comments at all as to how great of a dog she is, which as you know has little to do with what's on paper for a pet. You can't ask for info on a pedigree and then when people point out less than desire able facts, get insulted. She's an awesome dog who is absolutely stunning, so that's all that matters :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't know anything about pedigrees. We have our Tessa to be part of our family, and to travel with us. Love your description of your last GSD, just like Tess, on hiking trips she continually checks in with both of us if we separate. She would much prefer for us to always be together...:) Your new pup is so cute...have fun with her, sounds like you will.
Thanks, I think she's a doll! Growing up too fast though. I've always loved German Shepherds, ever since I can remember. One of my favorite memories is being about 6 years old and laying on the floor next to my grandpa's GSD (Dutch then Duke) who was bigger than me! :wub:

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Eliza, she's a very pretty girl, your lucky to have her and she's lucky to have you.

Every dog/puppy deserves a good home and you sound like a great one.

I'm not sure if it would work, but the pedigree you have listed on the database, just keep clicking back on the last dog's listed to see if you can further info to fill in even more of the pedigree.

If you can get it off the database, no need to spend money buying one from AKC, you can just print out what you get from the database:)

There are many members here who have rescues/dogs/puppies with not so 'perfect' backgrounds, doesn't make them any less loved and cherished.

I have had a gsd from a byb'er (a rescue of sorts), wouldn't have traded her for the world.

Have fun with your new girl, again she's really gorgeous:)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts