German Shepherds Forum banner

Looking for good training/behavior books -- Total Newbie

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  davewis 
#1 ·
Two weeks ago I got a used three Volume set of Handbook of Applied Dog Behavior and Training. I have been trying to read 30 minutes every evening and think about that bit of theory as I work with Ole the following day. It is turning into a bit of a slog.

Does anyone have any good books that they would recommend that have a slightly lower learning curve?

I would still like to read the series this winter. When spring rolls around I'll have much less time available.

#8 ·

This book has a nice German Shepherd on the front, but that's not why I liked it...!
I really liked her explanations about how positive training works with the way dogs think, and her explanations about how to train positively using lures/cues and how it works. I read it after our K9 manners obedience class which used the same techniques (but without the canine psychology explaining).

#10 ·
Canine Body Language by Brenda Aloff - could come useful for someone wanting to see real images of dogs "languages" rather than reading about them.
Schutzhund Obedience : Training in Drive by Sheila Booth, Gottfried Dildei seems to be a good one too. I'm casually flipping through it. Supposedly Sheila trained with my current TD Armin Winkler.
Schutzhund: Theory and Training Methods by Susan Barwig as well.
I've just started ordering a lot of Schutzhund books. The methods are older but interesting and could be worth trying out.
Playtraining Your Dog by Patricia Gail Burnham is another my breeder recommmended. She mentioned she disagreed with the conclusion the author had but found that some of the techniques were useful. I haven't had a moment to sit down and thumb through my copy.

#11 ·
Patricia McConnell, The Other End of the Leash -- this book is a classic in canine behavior. She's a PhD Zoologist and applied animal behaviorist with the University of Wisconsin, and a rare academic who writes lucid, enjoyable prose. This book attempts to bridge the disconnect between our primate selves and dogs' canine selves in how we process and understand each other, and the world. This book should be on every dog owner's shelf. Her website also has many free articles:
Patricia McConnell PH.D. | McConnell Publishing Inc. . The book is summarized here:

Turgid Rugass, On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals -- another classic that will make you better at reading what dogs are saying with their body language

#13 ·
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I am going to have to pace myself.

And I Quote, "If you spend as much time this summer with that oversized poop factory as you have this winter, you are going to have some 'splaining to do."

#15 ·
The Dog Sports Skills series (four book total by Denise Fenzi and Deb Jones. Also Denise's books Beyond the Backyard, Beyond the Basics, and Train the Dog in Front of You.

Reactions: Cassidy's Mom
#16 ·
I have the first 3 of the Dog Sports Skills series, I've only read one so far because I loaned #2 to a friend and haven't gotten it back yet. Reminds me I need to do that so I can continue the series. A photo of Halo at a flyball tournament is in one of the books, maybe #3? But she's identified as "he", not "she". Oops!

#19 ·
@Magwart,
I've read both of those! Really interesting.

I still use Rumo's body language when i call him to come...I turn as if I'm about to leave, and look at him over my shoulder. It works quite well!
That's what he does to me, so I do it to him...it seems very clear to him.

#21 ·
Thanks for the great list.

After a quick review of some of the books I decided to go with:
Click to Calm -- It seems very similar to my reactive dog class. It looks like a good starting point for clicker training.
Control Unleashed -- A second look at working with dog behavior with a more theoretical approach.
How dogs learn -- A deeper look into how dogs think and learn.

By then I should have some more obedience training under my belt and can tackle:
Purely Positive Training: Companion to Competition --
Schutzhund Obedience: Training in Drive --

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.